Where'd Luther say this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
A sermon by Alexander Henderson attributes the following to Luther. Anyone know where he may have said it?
Luther used to say that three things would prove mighty hindrances to Christian religion. (1) Forgetfulness of the work of God. (2) Security, which he found prevailing already in his time. (3) Policy and worldly wisdom, which would bring all things in order, and cure the public stirs with the counsel of man; to determine the present controversy by human reason, was in his judgment to go mad with reason.

Luther uses the phrase about being mad with reason in a letter to Melancthon, but it doesn't seem that the other statements appear in the same context. I would speculate that Henderson is summarizing from various places in Luther's works, and you'd probably have to ask a Luther scholar to point to potential references for each separate element.

Unless Henderson is Clarke's source which seems unlikely, I'm thinking there's an English source pre Henderson that might be traced. Could be heard though; needle meet haystack.
Luther uses the phrase about being mad with reason in a letter to Melancthon, but it doesn't seem that the other statements appear in the same context. I would speculate that Henderson is summarizing from various places in Luther's works, and you'd probably have to ask a Luther scholar to point to potential references for each separate element.

Okay. I've found a haystack at least to look in I think.
Just a couple of years prior to Henderson’s sermon the following book appeared:

The life and death of Dr. Martin Luther the passages whereof have bin taken out of his owne and other Godly and most learned, mens writings, who lived in his time.

Henderson does not quote but paraphrases what is given in the earlier work; so it may not be his source. But what that work does give is a possible original source: Mathesius’ Sermon on Luther’s Life.

These sermons or lectures are also called Luther’s Histories I think. The link below is the Mathesius work in question, still in German. I hope at least it is the work being referenced by the 1641 piece. I have not found an English translation. Anyone read German?
I tried to search on German words via Google translate for security, policy and worldly relegion, but didn't find anything recognizable. And it is a horrible type font.
Ausgew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back