Which 17th C. Particular Baptist Was The Most Prolific Writer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Username3000

I am interested in 17th century English Particular Baptists, and therefore I am trying to find books which they wrote. Other than John Bunyan, did any of them leave behind a large body of work? If so, where may I find it? Is it published? Only online?

Bonus question: Same question for the 18th century, as well as the 19th (excluding Charles Spurgeon).

Thank you.

Benjamin Keach for the 17th century; John Gill for the 18th; J. C. Philpot for the 19th.

That Gill book is too expensive for me, but I am interested in learning about him.

And Philpot I know nothing about.

Are there any published works by Keach out there, or would I have to find scanned copies online?

That Gill book is too expensive for me, but I am interested in learning about him.

And Philpot I know nothing about.

Are there any published works by Keach out there, or would I have to find scanned copies online?
I'm not sure how much of any of these guys is in print.

My favorite work by any Baptist is Gill's commentaries. You can find them for free on almost any website that has Matthew Henry, John Calvin, etc. Bible Hub is the one I use. Gill is my go-to commentator.

Keach is known for his catechism, and for his exegetical works. Here's his exposition of the parables.

Philpot is known mainly for his experimental writings. Here's some material by him online.

If you're interested in learning about J. C. Philpot, I reccomend this biography from BOT, written by his son: The Seceders. I read it a few months ago, and really enjoyed it.

As you might expect, I cannot commend everything these men wrote. Besides the criticisms you'd expect a Presbyterian to make of Baptists, there are some quirks in some of their theology. For example, Gill held to justification from eternity, and Philpot denied the free offer of the gospel. If I'm not mistaken, my brother @JM would take exception to my exceptions to these men's theology, but as a convinced confessional Presbyterian, I could not give a blanket commendation of their views.

My favorite work by any Baptist is Gill's commentaries. You can find them for free on almost any website that has Matthew Henry, John Calvin, etc. Bible Hub is the one I use. Gill is my go-to commentator.

Keach is known for his catechism, and for his exegetical works. Here's his exposition of the parables.

Philpot is known mainly for his experimental writings. Here's some material by him online.

If you're interested in learning about J. C. Philpot, I reccomend this biography from BOT, written by his son: The Seceders. I read it a few months ago, and really enjoyed it.

As you might expect, I cannot commend everything these men wrote. Besides the criticisms you'd expect a Presbyterian to make of Baptists, there are some quirks in some of their theology. For example, Gill held to justification from eternity, and Philpot denied the free offer of the gospel. If I'm not mistaken, my brother @JM would take exception to my exceptions to these men's theology, but as a convinced confessional Presbyterian, I could not give a blanket commendation of their views.

Wasn't one of their (17th/18th century) weaknesses a propensity to extremely high to even hyper Calvinism?

Old joke:

Woman #1 - "What do I have to do to become a Baptist?"

Woman #2 - "You have to believe in Jesus and have a 9" x 13" casserole dish."

(To be fair, this applies to Presbyterians and Methodists as well.)

Wasn't one of their (17th/18th century) weaknesses a propensity to extremely high to even hyper Calvinism?

I think the 17th and 18th century Baptists get a bad wrap for the Gospel Standard Baptists associated with the magazine published in 1835. Sure, you can find elements of what became markers of hyper Calvinism in their writings, but they were a work in progress, not static. No confessional Baptist held to hyper Calvinism, to high Calvinism yes, not hyper.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Gill is often accused of Hyper-Calvinism on the PB. I have yet to come across anything to solidify those claims but to be fair I bought his commentaries a couple of months ago.

I do not believe Gill or Brine were hypers, however, they did believe in doctrines that later became associated with hyper Calvinism.

We have to be careful about terminology. I've seen hypercalvinism defined a few different ways, some of which would apply to many of the early baptists. However, as Jason noted, they weren't monolithic. Other definitions of hypercalvinism wouldn't really fit.

I noted certain doctrines above that could be said to tend in a hypercalvinistic direction.

I do not believe Gill or Brine were hypers, however, they did believe in doctrines that later became associated with hyper Calvinism.
Gill would be seen as being one who held to a very high view of Calvinism, that later on was pushed still further into what would be labeled as being Hyper Calvinism.

John Gill to many Reformed Baptists would be seen as being to them their version of a John Calvin would be to Presbyterians

Ironic that much of the same could be said by Baptists concerning the works of John Calvin, as while we do appreciate many of his viewpoints, there are some areas just disagreed with him.

John Brine is another Baptist of note.

https://www.sermonaudio.com/search....currsection=sermonsspeaker&keyword=John_Brine

http://www.grace-ebooks.com/library/John Brine/The Sermons of John Brine - VOL 1.pdf

“The death of Christ did not render God reconcilable to sinners, as some say, but actually reconciled. And it may be observed, that it is said of Paul, that he was reconciled, whilst an enemy; that is, a persecutor of Christ: For he speaks it of himself, in these words; “If when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life (Romans 5:10.).

Moreover, he was in a state of adoption, when he persecuted Christ in his members: For, because he was a child of God, “the Spirit of God’s Son was sent into his heart;” by whole influences he was enabled “to cry, Abba Father (Galatians 4:6.).”

Regeneration doth not make us sons; but, because we are sons, we are regenerated. That the elect “are by nature children of wrath, even as others (Ephesians 2:2.),” is certain; and that they are the children of God by grace, is equally so. And both there may be said of them at one and the same time, but in different respects. As the descendants of Adam, they are children of wrath; that is, they are under a sentence of condemnation by the law: As in, and members of Christ, they are the children of God, and free from condemnation in his sight; yea, they are the objects of his special love and delight, and were so from everlasting; which is the reason why they are regenerated in God’s due time, when their adoption becomes open and visible.

Junius hath this note on Galatians 4:5. Adoptio filiorum aeterna, sed suo tempore exhibetur; that is, the adoption of sons is eternal, but is manifested in time.”

Honestly folks, I've dumped a lot of this stuff on my blog over the years, check it out.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

I love John Bunyan. I have read Keach's books and Gills. Keach wrote The True Travels of a True Godliness. It was similar but not as good as Pilgrim's Progress.
There are many of Keach's books available. He was a real Particular Baptist timewise. https://www.google.com/search?q=The...X&ved=0ahUKEwiLgqW9iPfaAhXGzFMKHbD_AvoQ-BYILg
I do love to look at Gill as a Commentator. He was a Hebrew Scholar. But Bunyan and Gill are my faves. Yes, I have read Coxe also. He was very good systematically for a Baptist.

You might be more interested in anti-paedobaptist works also from men around the time. John Tombe is another. Mike Renihan did his Doctoral work on him and it was very good.

John Brine is another Baptist of note.

https://www.sermonaudio.com/search....currsection=sermonsspeaker&keyword=John_Brine

http://www.grace-ebooks.com/library/John Brine/The Sermons of John Brine - VOL 1.pdf

“The death of Christ did not render God reconcilable to sinners, as some say, but actually reconciled. And it may be observed, that it is said of Paul, that he was reconciled, whilst an enemy; that is, a persecutor of Christ: For he speaks it of himself, in these words; “If when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life (Romans 5:10.).

Moreover, he was in a state of adoption, when he persecuted Christ in his members: For, because he was a child of God, “the Spirit of God’s Son was sent into his heart;” by whole influences he was enabled “to cry, Abba Father (Galatians 4:6.).”

Regeneration doth not make us sons; but, because we are sons, we are regenerated. That the elect “are by nature children of wrath, even as others (Ephesians 2:2.),” is certain; and that they are the children of God by grace, is equally so. And both there may be said of them at one and the same time, but in different respects. As the descendants of Adam, they are children of wrath; that is, they are under a sentence of condemnation by the law: As in, and members of Christ, they are the children of God, and free from condemnation in his sight; yea, they are the objects of his special love and delight, and were so from everlasting; which is the reason why they are regenerated in God’s due time, when their adoption becomes open and visible.

Junius hath this note on Galatians 4:5. Adoptio filiorum aeterna, sed suo tempore exhibetur; that is, the adoption of sons is eternal, but is manifested in time.”

Honestly folks, I've dumped a lot of this stuff on my blog over the years, check it out.

Yours in the Lord,

jm
I love John Bunyan. I have read Keach's books and Gills. Keach wrote The True Travels of a True Godliness. It was similar but not as good as Pilgrim's Progress.
There are many of Keach's books available. He was a real Particular Baptist timewise. https://www.google.com/search?q=The...X&ved=0ahUKEwiLgqW9iPfaAhXGzFMKHbD_AvoQ-BYILg
I do love to look at Gill as a Commentator. He was a Hebrew Scholar. But Bunyan and Gill are my faves. Yes, I have read Coxe also. He was very good systematically for a Baptist.

Thanks for the input. I'll probably start with Bunyan, as I have his works in physical form--I just can't do electronic.

I would then like to read Keach and Gill. Part of me wants to print out some of their stuff that isn't too long, and read it that way.

Benjamin Keach or Nehemiah Coxe. Both were outstanding theologians, and had instrumental roles in the publication of the 1689 LBCF.
A cool quote I found of Coxe, "“A very excellent, learned, and judicious divine” – Thomas Crosby

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back