Which Book Should I Give My Father-in-Law?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Presbyterian

Puritanboard Amanuensis
A little background:

My Father-in-Law is at the point where he is really becoming more "theologically-inclined" but not at the point where I think he can handle some of the more technical Puritanesque works. He attends a truly liberal PC(USA) church where he has been fed some pretty "normal" fare when it comes to doctrine, church history, Scripture etc...

Well his wife, my step-mom-in-law has recently been diagnosed with Lymphoma and it is becoming clear to me that what he has been fed theologically is not helping to answer the "why" and "how" questions of the heartache. I would like to give him a book that is going to help without being too "preachy" in the manner in which it denigrates what he has been taught.

Sincerely,

Query in Pittsburgh.

One catch, it needs to be a book I already own.

A little background:

My Father-in-Law is at the point where he is really becoming more "theologically-inclined" but not at the point where I think he can handle some of the more technical Puritanesque works. He attends a truly liberal PC(USA) church where he has been fed some pretty "normal" fare when it comes to doctrine, church history, Scripture etc...

Well his wife, my step-mom-in-law has recently been diagnosed with Lymphoma and it is becoming clear to me that what he has been fed theologically is not helping to answer the "why" and "how" questions of the heartache. I would like to give him a book that is going to help without being too "preachy" in the manner in which it denigrates what he has been taught.

Sincerely,

Query in Pittsburgh.

One catch, it needs to be a book I already own.

ok, so tell us all the books you own, where you keep them, where you've hidden the spare key, and when you'll be away from home for an extended period :)

I agree with Packer's Knowing God as a good readable starter. In any event, I think something that emphasizes the sovereignty of God is important. . . especially in view of current cancer situation.

Mere Christianity is also good.

But I have often found that The Abolition of Man can be even more effective - since it can apply even to a secular mindset (i.e. the destruction of quality education), yet it is inevitably Christian. I find taht Lewis is often a good place to begin, and then move on to other stuff.

Thanks guys.

As an aside he agreed to follow with me the Calvin Reading Schedule provided by Ref 21.

-----Added 12/30/2008 at 11:04:34 EST-----

Any other suggestions?

If he's reading Calvin, I think he'll get most of the good there is to be gotten.

Speaking of Lewis, the Screwtape Letters might address some of the mentioned issues without being snarky.

Theognome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back