Which confession do you subscribe to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arch2k

Puritan Board Graduate
What confession best summerizes your beliefs? Obviously as reformed people, we find value in all the reformed confessions, but there are differences (i.e. one can not consistently fully subscribe to the 3FU and the Westminster Standards).

Do you have any exceptions to the confession you hold to? Please specify.

A year ago I would have said the LBC. Now I would say the WCF. I don't know the difference between the two...I've only heard of the 1646. However, with the exception that I go with the writers of the LBC in leaving out the section on D&R from the WCF. That is my one arguement with the WCF.

Jeff -
(concerning the title of the thread)
Don't end a sentence with a preposition. Try "To which confession do you subscribe?"

I hold to the WCF 1789 because it is the Confession that allows me to serve in the Army and swear to defend the US Constitution with a clean conscience. :)
(That one was for Andrew.) :)

Originally posted by SolaScriptura
Jeff -
Don't end a sentence with a preposition. Try "To which confession do you subscribe?"

I hold to the WCF 1789 because it is the Confession that allows me to serve in the Army and swear to defend the US Constitution with a clean conscience. :)
(That one was for Andrew.) :)

:)

I hold to the 1789 WCF with an exception to Exclusive Psalmody at this point. I also have a scruple with the wording of the covenants (i.e. distinction between COG/COR).

The Westminster standards are the best summery of Christian doctrine I've ever read.

Jeff -

Hey! I didn't ask if you had any exceptions to my grammer! If that WAS the subject of the thread, I'm sure the poll wouldn't be so evenly distributed! :lol:

Originally posted by Jeff_Bartel
Jeff -

Hey! I didn't ask if you had any exceptions to my grammer! If that WAS the subject of the thread, I'm sure the poll wouldn't be so evenly distributed! :lol:

Also 'grammar' is spelt with an 'a' not an 'e.' ;)

Originally posted by poimen
Jeff -

Also 'grammar' is spelt with an 'a' not an 'e.' ;)

:p

Are Robin and I the only ones on this board who hold to the Three Forms of Unity?

014.gif

:ditto:1646 Westminster; not that other thing from 1789, which is the Confession of Faith of the PCUSA (as long as we are expressing pet peeves on spelling and grammer... :) ) Or if you must, the WCF as modified by the PCUSA in 1789. But it is not The Westminster Confession of Faith -- 1789.;)

I hold to the Westminster Confession, but did not vote as I have not studied all of the issues enough to determine whether I hold to the original or the revised version. In either case, the only exception I presently have is that I am undecided on EP, and while I accept the chapter on oaths and vows with its interpretation of James 5:12 out of submission to the historic church, I do not yet fully understand the reasons for interpreting it as such.

What confession best summerizes your beliefs? Obviously as reformed people, we find value in all the reformed confessions, but there are differences (i.e. one can not consistently fully subscribe to the 3FU and the Westminster Standards).

Out of curiosity, what specific contradictions do you see in the Westminster Standards and the Three Forms of Unity?

1789, although I am open to 1646; but I don't think I would fall under that category at the moment.

Daniel,
The 3 Forms of Unity was the first confession/catechism that I came into contact with; it has a special place in my heart.

1789 I guess, though I did not know that when I voted. Didn't know EP was in any of them. That would be my exception to the 1789 if it's in there.

I hold to the First London Baptist Confession (1646) with no exceptions and also the Second London Baptist Confession (1689) with a few exceptions.

Phillip

Originally posted by Me Died Blue
Out of curiosity, what specific contradictions do you see in the Westminster Standards and the Three Forms of Unity?

There are not a huge amount, and the differences are not major. The first one that comes to mind is the role of assurance in relation to saving faith. The WLC states that assurance may be lost, while saving faith remains. The HC states:

Question 21. What is true faith?

Answer: True faith is not only a certain knowledge, whereby I hold for truth all that God has revealed to us in his word, (a) but also an assured confidence, (b) which the Holy Ghost (c) works by the gospel in my heart; (d) that not only to others, but to me also, remission of sin, everlasting righteousness and salvation, (e) are freely given by God, merely of grace, only for the sake of Christ's merits. (f)

and the WLC

Question 81: Are all true believers at all times assured of their present being in the estate of grace, and that they shall be saved?
Answer: Assurance of grace and salvation not being of the essence of faith, true believers may wait long before they obtain it; and, after the enjoyment thereof, may have it weakened and intermitted, through manifold distempers, sins, temptations, and desertions; yet are they never left without such a presence and support of the Spirit of God as keeps them from sinking into utter despair.

There are others also, such as supralapsarianism / infralapsarianism and more little things here and there that make up the differences between Puritan theology and dutch reformed.

I'm definately Puritan baby!

My :2cents:. Hope it's worth that much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back