Which John Brown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMK

Administrator
Staff member
Can anyone tell me which John Brown these are?

Discourses and Sayings of Our Lord Jesus Christ: Illustrated in a Series of Expositions. ...
By John Brown
Published by , 1856

Analytical Exposition of the Epistle of Paul to the Romans
By Dr. John Brown DD
MDCCLVII

An Exposition of the Epistle of Paul the Apostle to the Romans with Large Practical Observations; Delivered in Several Lectures
By the Late Reverend, Learned, Pious, and Faithful Servant of Jesus Christ, Mr. John Brown (Sometime Minister of the Gospel at Wamphray in Annandale)
MDCCLXVI

I am assuming that the last one is John Brown of Wamphray. Is that correct?

Can anyone tell me which John Brown these are?

Discourses and Sayings of Our Lord Jesus Christ: Illustrated in a Series of Expositions. ...
By John Brown
Published by , 1856

By Dr. John Brown DD
MDCCLVII

These two were written by John Brown of Edinburgh (1784-1858).

John Brown (clergyman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

An Exposition of the Epistle of Paul the Apostle to the Romans with Large Practical Observations; Delivered in Several Lectures
By the Late Reverend, Learned, Pious, and Faithful Servant of Jesus Christ, Mr. John Brown (Sometime Minister of the Gospel at Wamphray in Annandale)
MDCCLXVI

I am assuming that the last one is John Brown of Wamphray. Is that correct?

Correct. :)

Yes, Ken. The latter is John Brown of Wamphray (17th century) comteporany of Samuel Rutherford. The former is John Brown of Edinburgh (19 century) besides these two works he is author of commentaries on Galatians (Banner of Truth), John 17, 1 Corinthians 15 and Isaiah 53/Psalm 18.

Congratulations to you both for beating Andrew to the answer!

My confusion was caused by the fact that I left a 'C' out of the date on one of the dates:

By Dr. John Brown DD
MDCCLVII should be MDCCCLVII

I couldn't figure out how the same John Brown could have written two books 100 years apart.

Edit: Rats! I missed Andrew's post. I guess Andrew is still the best!

Maybe it's because Andrew changed his Avatar. I liked his last one better.

I'm kinda wondering who the current picture is of...

Well, the man himself is Alastair Sim... but the actor's identity isn't why Andrew put his picture up :)

Well, the man himself is Alastair Sim... but the actor's identity isn't why Andrew put his picture up :)

Ahhh! Now I get it! It is Ebenezer Scrooge! Andrew is making a statement about Christmas without making a statement!

Ahhh! Now I get it! It is Ebenezer Scrooge! Andrew is making a statement about Christmas without making a statement!

;) Just so. As I mentioned here, it is an "annual tradition" of mine on the PB. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back