Which Theologians have most influenced you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R. C. Sproul

Whose teachings led me to all those other great theologians previously mentioned in this thread.

1. Wayne Grudem - my first introduction to elements of reformed thought, I got hooked on reading theological literature through his "Systematic Theology" while still attending a megachurch (Wayne, if it were not for you being used as an instrument of enlightenment in the hand of the Holy Spirit I may still have been singing "A Mighty Fortress" to disco arrangements during worship!).

2. Augustine - especially his Enchiridion, a wonderfully worshipful and reverently devotional piece centered on the Trinity/faith, hope, and love.

3. John Owen - on the Spirit's work in prayer (vol. 4), and the necessity of the minister to pray preparedly, yet with spiritual power and freedom in the worship service. He almost had me convinced of congregationalism too, for a short while!

4. Martin Luther - especially on paedobaptism, oddly enough. Very moving arguments to supplement the more academic study of the issue.

5. Calvin - what can one say, that hasn't already been said?

6. Turretin - also helped in the issue of covenantal baptism (although, as a baptist at the time, I came away bruised and whimpering). His arguments concerning the decrees/knowledge of God are first rate, and very lucid.

7. J. H. Thornwell - his doctrine of the spirituality of the church

[Edited on 7-20-2005 by Archlute]

Originally posted by Mayflower
J. Calvin, Fr. Turretin, S. Oomius, P. van Mastricht and ofcourse J. Owen.

Has Oomius or van Mastricht been translated into English?

Originally posted by puritancovenanter
Richard Belcher

As in Richard Belcher in Columbia, SC? If so, I supply preached many years ago at his church. He lived in Illinois then.

The above lists are excellent and I agree that to some extent I have been influenced by many of them. When I actually go through the mental exercise of trimming my list down to the SINGLE most influential person...

I'd have to say that I can not only boil it down to a single person, but a single work:

Thomas Brooks - Precious Remedies Against Satan's Devices

This book literally changed the way I think and live... it changed how I preach, how I teach, how I counsel... it definitely influenced me in a way that no other single work has.

For those who like this sort of thing, here is a tally of the most influential theologians for PB members according to this thread:

1.Calvin- 23

2.Sproul- 19

3.Luther- 14

4.Edwards-12
4.Owen- 12

6.Augustine- 9
6.Spurgeon- 9

8.Bahnsen- 8

9.Apsotle Paul- 6
9.Horton- 6

11.Westminster Divines- 5
11.Gerstner- 5
11.Kuyper- 5
11.Van Til- 5
11.Warfield- 5

16.Dabney- 4
16.Berkhof- 4
16.J. Murray- 4
16.Jesus- 4
16.CS Lewis- 4

21.Thornwell- 3
21.Turretin- 3
21.Bunyan- 3
21.Vos- 3
21.Piper- 3
21.Lloyd-Jones- 3
21.Rutherford- 3

28.I. Murray- 2
28.Beza- 2
28.Machen- 2
28.Frame- 2
28.Kline- 2
28.Boettner- 2
28.Clowney- 2
28.Barcellos- 2
28.Boston- 2
28.Watson- 2
28.Packer- 2
28.C. Hodge- 2
28.Schaeffer- 2
28.G. Clark- 2
28.Gentry- 2
28.J. White- 2

Several others at- 1

[Edited on 7-25-2005 by RAS]

I forgot Iain Murray. His stuff on revivalism was a breath or fresh air for someone who was pressured as a baptist pulpit supplier to really give a good ole fashioned soul-winning altar call. Pentecost Today and Revival and Revivalism are must reads.

Michael Horton - Always so reasonable and so insightful. I might differ from him on theonomy and postmillennialism, and perhaps creation as well, but I appreciate his work. I also, thanks to Draught Horse's generosity, own some of it.

Francis Schaeffer - I've been exposed to Schaeffer since my days in high school marching band. A good role model of what I'd like to do as a scholar in writing about the ideology behind art.

Greg Bahnsen - Surely one of the twentieth century's great minds. I'm not particularly well read in Bahnsen himself, but Bahnsen influenced my pastor, and my pastor is quite influential on me. Therefore, I probably can't overestimate Bahnsen's influence.

R.C. Sproul - Between the monthly Tabletalks and the books I read when I first began to study reformed theology, I'm sure Sproul has had even more influence than I realize.

C.S. Lewis - His Arminian theology aside, Lewis helped me understand the awesomeness of the Christian narrative.

N.T. Wright - Ranging from amazing insight to blatant error (female ordination? :mad: ), Wright is great for a fresh perspective. He's much better when he writes on Jesus than when he writes on Paul, but Wright always gets me excited about the text and about the kingdom.

I have a feeling I'm going to be assaulted for that last one... Be gentle, guys; I'm a girl! (Besides, if Andrew can put C.S. Lewis, surely I can get away with N.T. Wright, who at least leans more towards Calvinism than Lewis... Surely?? I will admit, however, that it isn't necessarily a good idea to read Wright without measuring him against a solidly Reformed theologian.)

[Edited on 7-21-2005 by Ex Nihilo]

Originally posted by Ex Nihilo
C.S. Lewis - His Arminian theology aside, Lewis helped me understand the awesomeness of the Christian narrative.

N.T. Wright - Ranging from amazing insight to blatant error (female ordination? :mad: ), Wright is great for a fresh perspective. He's much better when he writes on Jesus than when he writes on Paul, but Wright always gets me excited about the text and about the kingdom.

I have a feeling I'm going to be assaulted for that last one... Be gentle, guys; I'm a girl! (Besides, if Andrew can put C.S. Lewis, surely I can get away with N.T. Wright, who at least leans more towards Calvinism than Lewis... Surely?? I will admit, however, that it isn't necessarily a good idea to read Wright without measuring him against a solidly Reformed theologian.)

:lol: Just to clarify why I included C.S. Lewis in my list...Mere Christianity was the "gateway" book that lead me to Christianity, albeit, Arminian Christianity. In that sense, he was highly influential in my life, not so much any more. I would not recommend that book to any undiscerning reader, however. His theology is so far from being Reformed that I question whether there is enough of the gospel in that book to qualify as Protestant. He died the same day as Aldous Huxley and John F. Kennedy, a fact that led to Peter Kreeft's abominable but insightful book, Between Heaven and Hell, but the question of his salvation is not for me to decide. I remain a fan of Narnia, with my eyes open to the weak theological underpinnings of his fantasy world, and I enjoy his style of writing at all times (he was a genius at communicating through the written word), and I think there is wisdom to be found in his works, even such as The Screwtape Letters, and I appreciate his love of classic literature, though I'm not such a fan of George MacDonald. I would love to share a smoke and pint with him in heaven one day, if the Lord wills. But for theological reading, with the time that I have left on this earth, I look to the Reformers, Huguenots, Covenanters and Puritans for my reading edification. :book2::detective:

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot

:lol: Just to clarify why I included C.S. Lewis in my list...Mere Christianity was the "gateway" book that lead me to Christianity, albeit, Arminian Christianity. In that sense, he was highly influential in my life, not so much any more. I would not recommend that book to any undiscerning reader, however. His theology is so far from being Reformed that I question whether there is enough of the gospel in that book to qualify as Protestant. He died the same day as Aldous Huxley and John F. Kennedy, a fact that led to Peter Kreeft's abominable but insightful book, Between Heaven and Hell, but the question of his salvation is not for me to decide. I remain a fan of Narnia, with my eyes open to the weak theological underpinnings of his fantasy world, and I enjoy his style of writing at all times (he was a genius at communicating through the written word), and I think there is wisdom to be found in his works, even such as The Screwtape Letters, and I appreciate his love of classic literature, though I'm not such a fan of George MacDonald. I would love to share a smoke and pint with him in heaven one day, if the Lord wills. But for theological reading, with the time that I have left on this earth, I look to the Reformers, Huguenots, Covenanters and Puritans for my reading edification. :book2::detective:

I include him for much the same reason... I've read about all that I care to read of his theological writings, but they were helpful at a particular time in my life.

My next assignment for myself is, of course, to tackle Calvin. :D

(I should also clarify that I have not spent a great deal of time reading Wright... selected articles of his have been helpful, but I would certainly steep myself in the great Reformed theologians before I got into his weightier volumes.)

Jesus Christ
Paul

WILLIAM GURNALL - The Christian in complete Armour. Spurgeon said of this man "Outside the scriptures this book is the most valued in all my library!) (UNabridged version of the book is best!)

Michael Horton - Always so reasonable and so insightful. I might differ from him on theonomy and postmillennialism, and perhaps creation as well, but I appreciate his work. I also, thanks to Draught Horse's generosity, own some of it.

Francis Schaeffer - I've been exposed to Schaeffer since my days in high school marching band. A good role model of what I'd like to do as a scholar in writing about the ideology behind art.

Greg Bahnsen - Surely one of the twentieth century's great minds. I'm not particularly well read in Bahnsen himself, but Bahnsen influenced my pastor, and my pastor is quite influential on me. Therefore, I probably can't overestimate Bahnsen's influence.

R.C. Sproul - Between the monthly Tabletalks and the books I read when I first began to study reformed theology, I'm sure Sproul has had even more influence than I realize.

:lol: You are much braver than I. I actually began reading Wright on a dare from C. Schelin.

I don't look to Lewis for theology, but for a helpful explanation of reality. Ie, his other stuff is superb. For example, while I don't care for the apologetic used in Miracles, he did make a brilliant observation (that Tom Wright has picked up on) concerning Jesus' miracles and their relation to the Kingdom. When Jesus came healing people he wasn't merely some magic guy doing cool stuff, he was showing people that God's kingdom is now breaking into earth and the reversal of the Curse has begun.

Tom Wright's Jesus and the Victory of God ranges from being in the stratosphere on some topics to utterly brilliant on others. He roasts liberal theology alive. The liberals have clearly admitted to such.

I am generous, aren't I? That's okay, I wouldn't have time to listen to all those Mike Horton cds anymore. It was my pleasure to give them to you.

Originally posted by Draught Horse

:lol: You are much braver than I. I actually began reading Wright on a dare from C. Schelin.

I remember once getting into a loud debate about the NPP in the middle of Taco Bell with Mr. Schelin... That was very amusing, because neither of us were really too well read in the NPP at the time, so he had to keep answering my Calvinist dogma with, "But you have to put it in the historical context..."

I don't look to Lewis for theology, but for a helpful explanation of reality.

I agree... and I never would have actually listed him here is others hadn't done so as well. Suffice to say, I would never look to him for doctrine, but his literary insight into the state of the world is fabulous.

Originally posted by Draught Horse

I remember once getting into a loud debate about the NPP in the middle of Taco Bell with Mr. Schelin... That was very amusing, because neither of us were really too well read in the NPP at the time, so he had to keep answering my Calvinist dogma with, "But you have to put it in the historical context..."

He knows neither NPP nor Calvinism that well, despite his love for Tom Wright. Anyway, another thing Tom taught me to do is to use narratives to subvert/destroy worldviews.

Originally posted by Ivan
Originally posted by puritancovenanter
Richard Belcher

As in Richard Belcher in Columbia, SC? If so, I supply preached many years ago at his church. He lived in Illinois then.

Yep, the same one. He is wonderful. Have you ever heard him do a singing biography presentation. I heard him do one on Adoniram Judson at Edgewood Baptist Church about 5 years ago. It was cool.

Originally posted by Loriann
WILLIAM GURNALL - The Christian in complete Armour. Spurgeon said of this man "Outside the scriptures this book is the most valued in all my library!) (UNabridged version of the book is best!)

I agree the abridged 3vl set is lacking. They also dumb down God's effectual grace.

In this order

Horton & The White Horse Inn Guys ( havn't missed a program in 5 years)
James R. White
R.C. Sproal
Calvin
Luther
Gordon Clark
Robbins - as of late (no flames)

There are many many more below this list. I almost added J. Vernon McGee but he is not Reformed. He was the 1st preacher on the radio that I ever listened to right after my conversion. I didnt miss a single program for nearly two years. I now differ with him on many things and havn't listened to him in years but I consider him a fine Christian man and look foward to meeting him one day.

Originally posted by crhoades
J. Calvin, Fr. Turretin, S. Oomius, P. van Mastricht and ofcourse J. Owen.

Has Oomius or van Mastricht been translated into English?

Only from Mastricht " treatise of regeration", but for the rest not.

Oomius was a great Dutch theologion, even his works in old dutch are very hard to find, and very expensive. I have some reprints from him ( institutionus theologicae peacticae, satans vuistslagen, de practycke der twee heylige sacramenten, de bestiering der gedachten)

I know that there is a dissertaion by Gregory D. Schuringa called :

Embracing leer and leven : the theology of Simon Oomius in the context of Nadere Reformatie orthodoxy / Grand Rapids, Michigan, 2003. See :

http://www.atla.com/preservation/preservation_news/preservation_news100804.html

Another great theologion of the Second reformation is :

Abraham Hellenbroek :
* Keurstoffen (2 vol.)
* Hooglied (2 vol.)
* Jesaja (5 vol.)
* Kruistriomph
* Vragenboekje (catechismus), is also in english (A Specimen of Divine Truths) see :

http://www.heritagebooks.org/browse.asp?fname=A.&lname=Hellenbroek

James White
R.C. Sproul (as someone else mentioned, he introduced me to tons of great historical figures that one could actually say my library began in his bibliographies)
Greg Bahnsen
Kenneth Gentry

Abraham Hellenbroek :
* Keurstoffen (2 vol.)
* Hooglied (2 vol.)
* Jesaja (5 vol.)
* Kruistriomph
* Vragenboekje (catechismus), is also in english (A Specimen of Divine Truths) see :

Ralph,

Have you read this work? I know that Abraham Hellenbroek was a friend of Wilhelmus à Brakel. RHB says:

Abraham Hellenbroek (1658-1731) was a highly esteemed minister in the Reformed church of the Netherlands. Now reprinted in a larger, easier to read format, this catechism book has been extensively used by Reformed denominations over the centuries for instructing young people. He covers the major doctrines of Reformed truth concerning God, man, Christ, salvation, the church, and the last things. This edition is freshly translated by Joel R. Beeke, who also provides a biographical sketch of the author.

Kelly Kapic
Stan Grenz
Karl Barth
Bonhoeffer
C.S. Lewis
John Calvin
St. Anselm
St. Augustine
Brennan Manning

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot

Abraham Hellenbroek :
* Keurstoffen (2 vol.)
* Hooglied (2 vol.)
* Jesaja (5 vol.)
* Kruistriomph

Ralph,

Have you read this work? I know that Abraham Hellenbroek was a friend of Wilhelmus à Brakel. RHB says:

Abraham Hellenbroek (1658-1731) was a highly esteemed minister in the Reformed church of the Netherlands. Now reprinted in a larger, easier to read format, this catechism book has been extensively used by Reformed denominations over the centuries for instructing young people. He covers the major doctrines of Reformed truth concerning God, man, Christ, salvation, the church, and the last things. This edition is freshly translated by Joel R. Beeke, who also provides a biographical sketch of the author.

Yes i have it , it's a great catechism. It's only sad that only this short book is transelated, he wrote sme great mayor works esspecially his "kruistriomph" or truimph of the cross, it's about the suffering (last days) of Christ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back