Who Are the Real Tithers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crhoades

Puritan Board Graduate
According to a George Barna (http://barna.org/) survey in 2000, the more money a family makes, the less likely they are to tithe. Eight percent of people making under $20,000 actually tithe. That number goes down to 5 percent for those families making $20,000 to $39,999. The number drops again to 4 percent for those making $40,000 to $59,999. Then the number drops to 2 percent for those making $60,000 to $74,999, and 1 percent for those making $75,000 to $99,999.The number jumps back up to 5 percent for those making above $100,000.

Originally posted by NaphtaliPress
Chris, How does he explain the jump over 100K?

Most likely it isn`t gonna hurt whoever is making that much.In other words:not sacrificing anything they need.

Originally posted by Average Joey
Originally posted by NaphtaliPress
Chris, How does he explain the jump over 100K?

Most likely it isn`t gonna hurt whoever is making that much.In other words:not sacrificing anything they need.

There has to be more to it than that. The exact same thing could be said of those making $80,000-$90,000 and they are (by these statistics) the worst tithers.

A comment from the article:
Comments on the Research

The relative generosity of born again and evangelical Christians is paradoxical in the eyes of George Barna, president of the company that conducted the research. "On the one hand, evangelicals and born again Christians should be commended for modeling generosity within a culture that esteems giving a helping hand more than it actually gives such a hand. By giving more than double the national average of their income to non-profits and churches evangelicals have set a great example for others to follow. At the same time, however, the vast majority of those individuals attend churches that teach a biblical responsibility to tithe. The fact that fewer than one out of every ten born again believers does so suggests that financial stewardship is undoubtedly one of the greatest challenges facing the Christian Church in America today."

I do wonder if churches do teach that. When I was growing up and occasionally attending the PC-USA church that my parents belonged to, I remember reading some literature that encouraged the members to give either 2 or 3 percent - definitely not the tithe.

Maybe the church's expectations are too low - they receive not because they ask not.

God can use cheapskates to keep churches humble and more focused... money is a leaven that can corrupt a church too.

The contemporary churches I see are too busy popping up gymnasiums and lavish recreation centers instead of more meaningful expenditures on missions.

I almost felt bad when a Filipino church pastor came on a fundraiser to several churches, in hopes of raising money to build a church back at home and left with much of nothing on a Sunday night, having went to several churches throughout the week.

God will see that adequate sustenance is provided, and He will reward the faithful stewards all the same.
:2cents:

[Edited on 6-2-2006 by Puritanhead]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back