Who are the top 5 contemporary reformed authors in your opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of those I have read the ones whom I have benefited the most from are:

Sproul
Horton
Riddlebarger
Chapell on Preaching
Richard Bacon

Iain Murray
David W. Hall
Joel Beeke
Sinclair Ferguson
Last spot is a toss up between R.C. Sproul, Jerry Bridges & J.I. Packer

Honorable mention goes to Doug Kelly-- better than some in the last spot, not as voluminous in output, but always worthwhile.

No love for Doug Wilson? I know there are some areas where he's batty, but I hear tell he has some really good books on other subjects out.

Actually, the caveat is "Reformed." Due to some of Wilson and Piper's views, one might place them outside of that label.

I honestly can't stand reading Piper. It is something about his style. I can only read 40 or so pages before I just put it away.

R. C. Sproul
Michael Horton
Joel Beeke
Sinclair Ferguson
J. I. Packer

Those are contemporary guys whose books most people read in my opinion.

Ferguson, Sproul, Horton, Venema, and Muller. It's much easier to choose the top 20 than the top five. If 20 were the figure, I'd include Iain Duguid, Dale Ralph Davis, John Currid, John Mackay, P.T. O'Brien, Guy Waters, Richard Gaffin, Joel Beeke, Joey Pipa, Vern Poythress, Doug Kelly, Derek Thomas, Phil Ryken, Rick Phillips, and John Fesko.

Depends on the criteria: but for help understanding the Reformed tradition I think I would say, in no strict order:
Richard Muller
David Steinmetz
Carl Trueman
Sinclair Ferguson
Anthony N.S. Lane

Actually, the caveat is "Reformed." Due to some of Wilson and Piper's views, one might place them outside of that label.

True. I personally am not a big Piper fan anymore. I used to eat his stuff up when I was first becoming reformed, but now...not so much. Perhaps we could label Piper a "gateway" minister to becoming TR. :D

Thank God for "gateway ministers."

I am not sure who I would put in the top 5; but just wanted to say that I would rather be a gateway to TR than TR and have little influence for Christ's Kingdom.

You can construct this list according to different critieria. One criterion is whether their work is recognized as high quality even by those of different theological persuasions. I'm not being super strict on what "Reformed" entails:

1. John Frame
2. Michael Horton
3. Richard Muller
4. Alvin Plantinga
5. James K. Smith

If we're referring to most influential Reformed authors, then the list would be a little different than the authors I think are the most confessionally Reformed and influential etc. In terms of who simply are the most influential under the broad designation Reformed in the Reformed world, I would say these five:

1. John Frame
  2. R.C. Sproul
  3. Michael Horton
  4. John Piper (if we consider him Reformed in some sense)
  5. Tim Keller

If we're referring to most influential Reformed authors, then the list would be a little different than the authors I think are the most confessionally Reformed and influential etc. In terms of who simply are the most influential under the broad designation Reformed in the Reformed world, I would say these five:

1. John Frame
  2. R.C. Sproul
  3. Michael Horton
  4. John Piper (if we consider him Reformed in some sense)
  5. Tim Keller

ooh forgot about Keller. He may be most popular overall in just terms of books sales. It's funny how the majority of evangelicalism would view him as conservative, but reformed groups tend to see him as liberal.

Authors? I would have to say:

Dr Joel Beeke, Dr David Murray, Cornelius Pronk, Bartel Elshout (for his translation work) and Dr Joel Beeke again.

ooh forgot about Keller. He may be most popular overall in just terms of books sales. It's funny how the majority of evangelicalism would view him as conservative, but reformed groups tend to see him as liberal.

Uh-oh, I feel a tangent coming on. Tim Keller is about the biggest :worms: in the reformed camp that I can think of.

Top Ten :worms: in the reformed camp - who ya got? Go!

1. Tim Keller
2. Sabbatarianism
3. Baptism
4. YEC v. OEC
5. Whether Adam had a belly button. (Credit to my wife.)
6. Presuppositionalism v. Evidentialism
7. R.J. Rushdoony (Theonomy)
8. Greg Bahnsen (Theonomy again.)
9. Pot?
10. Rat brains (I ran out of material at #9, obviously.)

Is Keller reformed, I don't see it? Frame denies the RPW!

Being in the PCA doesn't make one reformed...

Joey Pipa
Joel Beeke
Sinclair Ferguson
Derek Thomas
Other people who just quote puritans...

This is really subjective, because as we know we all define the term "reformed" differently; then we also have another subjective element; i.e. which books are better, or who wrote more books? Is the guy that wrote two books that were absolutely profound, better than the guy that pumps out 20 "decent" books a year?

This being the case, I am going to post my top five in the broader "reformed" sense, which would include us LBC'ers, and based upon the quality of the writings, rather than quantity...

1) Albert Mohler
2) J.I. Packer
3)John Macarthur
4) R.C. Sproul
5) Mark Dever (I debated this last one. But his works have had such a profound reforming affect on so many of my Baptist brethren, that though his works are not as in-depth, he gets a bump for the impact he has made)

Go ahead; let the "What is reformed?" debate begin...

Top Ten :worms: in the reformed camp - who ya got? Go!

1. Tim Keller
2. Sabbatarianism
3. Baptism
4. YEC v. OEC
5. Whether Adam had a belly button. (Credit to my wife.)
6. Presuppositionalism v. Evidentialism
7. R.J. Rushdoony (Theonomy)
8. Greg Bahnsen (Theonomy again.)
9. Pot?
10. Rat brains (I ran out of material at #9, obviously.)

good list. how about 2nd commandment violations? RPW? what about the family shepherding movement or whateva it's called?

I honestly can't stand reading Piper. It is something about his style. I can only read 40 or so pages before I just put it away.

I'm with you! I never finished Let the Nations Be Glad. Reading Piper can be like (there are exceptions) watching someone chew a nice, big, juicy steak that you really would like to enjoy for yourself. He tends to repeat himself and look at things from every possible angle. Thankfully, his preaching is not like that!

I think everyone's named all the people in my list! Don't forget blogs though...what would the Young, Restless, and Reformed movement be without the internet?!

Tim Challies
Justin Taylor
Ray Ortlund
Green Baggins!
Um...some....Pilgrim Board?? Pelican Board? Uhh??

I'm with you! I never finished Let the Nations Be Glad. Reading Piper can be like (there are exceptions) watching someone chew a nice, big, juicy steak that you really would like to enjoy for yourself. He tends to repeat himself and look at things from every possible angle. Thankfully, his preaching is not like that!

I think everyone's named all the people in my list! Don't forget blogs though...what would the Young, Restless, and Reformed movement be without the internet?!

Tim Challies
Justin Taylor
Ray Ortlund
Green Baggins!
Um...some....Pilgrim Board?? Pelican Board? Uhh??

I can't listen to his preaching that much either. I can listen to his conference lectures all day, but only two or three sermons a month. I really don't have a reason why, just something about the style rubs me.

He gave a wonderful exposition of the Pharisee and Tax Collector at TGC this year!!

Did Jesus Preach the Gospel of Evangelicalism? 2010 Together for the Gospel Conference - Desiring God

So wonderful that Salvador Gomez, a pastor of a sister church in the Dominican Republic, got permission to share his notes on it with us in SS right after!

SermonAudio.com - A Gospel Picture of Jesus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back