Who chooses? A. W. Tozer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Presbyterian Deacon

Puritan Board Graduate
Salvation is from our side a choice, from the divine side it is a seizing upon, an apprehending, a conquest by the Most High God. Our "accepting" and "willing" are reactions rather than actions. The right of determination must always remain with God. --Aiden Wilson Tozer

from HERE

Tozer has some good things to say and it is very obvious that he spent a lot of time meditating on Scripture. But he was definitely an Arminian and (in my opinion) to some degree a mystic.

Tozer has some good things to say and it is very obvious that he spent a lot of time meditating on Scripture. But he was definitely an Arminian and (in my opinion) to some degree a mystic.

Well, he was a Pentecostal (Christian and Missionary Alliance), which probably explains the mystic part.

Aiden Wilson Tozer (1897-1963).

Tozer was no more mystical than, say, Edwards.

And, you can't call him an unqualified Arminian any more than you can call Wesley an unqualified Arminian. What Tozer was, was inconsistent, and praise God that he was!

We Calvinists need to be a lot more careful with that label.

I have read alot of Tozer, and while I agree that he was not REFORMED, he certainly had alot of worthwhile things to say. Much of his teaching is dead-on!

His "The Knowledge of the Holy" (In my humble opinion) is after Charnock's Existence and Attributes of God and Packer's Knowing God, the best work on Divine Attributes in print today.

Mystic? I am not sure where you get that idea?

Mystic? I am not sure where you get that idea?

'Once Dr. Tozer and I shared a conference years ago, and I appreciated his ministry and his fellowship very much. One day he said to me: 'Lloyd-Jones, you and I hold just about the same position on spiritual matters, but we have come to this position by different routes.' 'How do you mean?' I asked. 'Well,' Tozer replied, 'you came by way of the Puritans and I came by way of the mystics.' And, you know,' said Lloyd-Jones, 'he was right.' - Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones

I read Tozer at an early age. I allso enjoyed my dayly devotions from a book called Streams in the Desert wich is a great classic devotion by L.B. Cowman initially published in 1925. I never investigated wether she was arminian or not..

I also enjoyed my dayly devotions from a book called Streams in the Desert wich is a great classic devotion by L.B. Cowman initially published in 1925. I never investigated wether she was arminian or not..

I read Streams in the Desert as a teenager. From what I remember I think Cowman would qualifiy as an Arminian.

Salvation is from our side a choice, from the divine side it is a seizing upon, an apprehending, a conquest by the Most High God. Our "accepting" and "willing" are reactions rather than actions. The right of determination must always remain with God. --Aiden Wilson Tozer

from HERE

Sounds like he almost crossed over to the Reformed side doesn't it?

from HERE

Sounds like he almost crossed over to the Reformed side doesn't it?

That was one of reasons for posting it. I was struck by the statement, that it was so "reformed-sounding."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back