Status
Not open for further replies.

MyCrows

Puritan Board Sophomore
"Free from the law,
O blessed condition!
I can sin as I please,
and still have remission. "

I've heard Gerstner and Sproul use this phrase, and it's also come up within my own circle. I'm just curious where it actually originated.

Does anybody know?

I've always heard it as a parody, as noted, of this line of Bliss--

Free from the law—oh, happy condition!
Jesus hath bled, and there is remission;

And the parody line ("I can sin as I please," or like words) was claimed by anti-antinomians (Reformed) to be the real intention of dispensationalists, whom the Reformed claimed were antinomians, having, due to hermeneutical discontinuity, a deficient view of the historic Reformed third use of the law.

You could also imagine John MacArthur alleging such on the part of Zane Hodges in their late 1980s debate ("Lordship salvation" controversy).

It's been around for a while but is simply a way that some have employed to mock antinomianism (real or perceived).

Peace,
Alan

I actually wanted ChatGPT to answer your question, but I forgot to ask the question. The comment, though, was worth it!

Me: Free from the law, O blessed condition! I can sin as I please, and still have remission.

ChatGPT: This statement is not accurate. The idea that one can sin as they please because they are "free from the law" is not in line with most religious beliefs, including Christianity. In Christianity, forgiveness of sin through faith in Jesus is not a license to continue sinning, but rather a call to live a life of obedience and righteousness. The Bible states in Romans 6:1-2, "What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?"

Update: ChatGPT does not know the origin of the phrase.

You could also imagine John MacArthur alleging such on the part of Zane Hodges in their late 1980s debate ("Lordship salvation" controversy
I don't think I have to imagine, I'm pretty sure I came across it in his book "Faith Works" lol.
ChatGPT: This statement is not accurate. The idea that one can sin as they please because they are "free from the law" is not in line with most religious beliefs, including Christianity. In Christianity, forgiveness of sin through faith in Jesus is not a license to continue sinning, but rather a call to live a life of obedience and righteousness. The Bible states in Romans 6:1-2, "What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?"
This is a surprisingly good response. I'm impressed!

I actually wanted ChatGPT to answer your question, but I forgot to ask the question. The comment, though, was worth it!

Me: Free from the law, O blessed condition! I can sin as I please, and still have remission.

Update: ChatGPT does not know the origin of the phrase.
Brother, how much more of this asking chatgp about the thread topic are you going to post in the threads here? Just asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back