Who controls whom? The confessions or the churches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ephesians 4:4-6 4 There is one body and one Spirit, just as also you were called in one hope of your calling; 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism, 6 one God and Father of all who is over all and through all and in all.

If a person is saved, a child of God, they are of the Christian faith. That a subscriber to either the WCF of 1689 LBC is bound to be wrong on an issue does not mean they are not holding the Christian faith and life.

Ephesians 4:4-6 4 There is one body and one Spirit, just as also you were called in one hope of your calling; 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism, 6 one God and Father of all who is over all and through all and in all.

If a person is saved, a child of God, they are of the Christian faith. That a subscriber to either the WCF of 1689 LBC is bound to be wrong on an issue does not mean they are not holding the Christian faith and life.

Didn't Matthew just mean they were not holding the Christian faith and life about that particular point?

Didn't Matthew just mean they were not holding the Christian faith and life about that particular point?

Yes: "such a church or Christian must be in error at the point at which the WCF is rejected, and therefore cannot be regarded as holding the Christian faith and life at that point."

You basically support my point, that a believer/church is made by commitment to Truth, that is, Christ, and not to a written Confession.

I don't support this point because I reject nominalism. The church's confession IS the truth as it is in Jesus, so far as that church is concerned. One cannot have a name -- Jesus -- without a real life referent. The church explains the referent because the name itself is understood differently by different people.

In addition, "a less pure confession" = "a less pure believer/church" doesn't work if we're talking about formal written Confessions, since churches don't achieve absolute subscription, so their Confessions are inaccurate judges of their true status. Maybe they should achieve absolute subscription...a topic not for this thread...but we speak of realities, not ideals.

What you probably mean is, that in your experience churches don't achieve absolute subscription. In the Free Church tradition office-bearers subscribe the Westminster Confession as the confession of their faith.

One's experience should not prejudice his view of confession, but it is a scriptural view of confession which should judge one's experience. If the church has a confession which it does not truly believe then clearly what it subscribes to is not a confession. "We believe and therefore speak" is an apostolic maxim, not, We partially believe and therefore reservedly speak.

Last edited:
I don't believe that's what Pergamum meant, but you have failed to address the point of why the idea that a body of believers "produced" or "controls" its written Confession (driven, as we have seen, by God's sovereignly-directed heart conviction) is Romanist.

If it is driven "by God's sovereignly-directed heart conviction" then the church has no control over its confession but is controlled by it. Thankyou for your choice of words; you have made the point brilliantly.

It's getting late, so forgive me if any thoughts start to fog...

I don't support this point because I reject nominalism.

Then I'm not sure we're communicating well. Nominalism, a rejection of universal abstracts (or some variation on that theme), would perhaps agree with you in rejecting the point.

If the church has a confession which it does not truly believe then clearly what it subscribes to is not a confession.

Bingo. There's the "dichotomy" I was making. I hope you understand why it was made, now.

One point remains biggest; your statement that (paraphrase) "the idea that a church controls / produces its confession is Romanist" now makes a little more sense to me, considering what you just said. But it still remains a statement which In my humble opinion to the average board observer reads something like:

"The idea that a church controls the form of its written Confession is Romanist."

Which, I'd hope you agree, is most definitely not the case. In fact, it's the church's job to make sure its written Confession is a statement of what it believes! In this sense, the church controls its written Confession.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, you made your last reply after I had already started writing mine.

Basically, I think you're making my point and you think I'm making yours. Though we don't fully agree, I don't think we disagree as much as our posts make it seem. Our communication misunderstandings over what I defined as "Confession" (a written document stating beliefs, which I believe to be the initial topic of this forum) and a "confession" (the actual heart beliefs of a church / believer; the ideal definition and, I believe, your topic) were the main problem. Forgive the confusion on my part. Yes, ideally they should be the same...in reality, they're often not, thus the need arose for the dichotomy.

Final comment: If the writing of the Confession is driven by God's direction, sure, that means that the Confession, in that sense, controls the writer, at that time. It doesn't mean that it controls all those who adopt the Confession as theirs...later, they may detect a distinction between their confession (belief) and Confession (document) and thus change the document. If such change is effected, the distinction is gone and life continues. If it's not, the distinction remains.

This capital/lowercase distinction I made isn't nominalist. I didn't make the distinction, I'm just discussing it. It's merely a way I discussed the document (which doesn't control!) and the actual confession behind it (which does control!). If they line up, fine, but in many churches they don't, and I believe the topic of the forum is, in a sense, whether the Confession controls the confession or the confession controls the Confession :) That is, whether the document controls the belief, or the belief the document. Of course, the belief controls the document...in the terms I understood, that is, the church controls the Confession.

Am I making sense? I think a misunderstanding was at the root of our discussion :\ Good night.It's getting late here.

Cheers.

MODERATOR HAT ON

While the confessions are not inspired and not on par with scripture, nevertheless they are a tested and tried summary of the faith. I'll allow this thread to continue but I want to go on record (just in case) that the confessions are not to be attacked, directly or obliquely. I am not saying that anyone in this thread is leaning in that direction but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Carry on everyone.
MODERATOR HAT OFF

What exactly do you mean (for clarification)? I've noticed consistant dissent from both of the confessions (WCF and LBC 1689) here at the PuritanBoard. Both uphold a "Historicist" eschatology that very few people here agree with (this doesn't refer to me because I AM historicist). I'm just using that example to say it seems people have been given room to not completely agree with the confessions, so I assumed it was the norm.

Manley,

The confessional requirements for PB membership are:

Confessional Requirements: One must hold to either the Westminster Standards, the Three Forms of Unity, the Second Helvetic Confession, or the LBCF to be approved for membership without a waiver. This does not mean that the these confessions are viewed as the "Word of God." Rather, these confessions and creeds are taken to accurately summarize the key doctrines of the Bible and allow mutual, like-minded fellowship (Amos 3:3, "Can two walk together unless they be agreed?"). The adherence to any orthodox historical documents assure that the board will be kept "like-minded" in most of the basic points of salvation history and that the fellowship "exhortive and encouraging." Those who seek to modify, depart from, change or disprove the doctrines found in the Confessions will bear the burden of proof to support their claim.

Manley, I think this is self explanatory. There are areas where the confessions are silent. They do not address each and every circumstance that a believer will encounter in their Christian walk. However, the confessions are concordia cum veritate, in harmony with truth. The burden rests on the one who questions the confessions to present their argument for consideration. It is for that reason that I posted that cautionary reminder.

That's not really answering my question. The historicist view is clearly taught in the WCF and the LBC 1689 but not considered vital enough to bring warnings to those who don't adhere. My question is; what views taught in the confessions are treated with this level of seriousness and which aren't? I'm not asking to be rude but seeking to clarify the statements on the forum rules.

I agree that people shouldn't have to all subscribe to Historicism but that doesn't seem to fit with your warning. To be honest, I don't disagree with a single thing in the LBC 1689 but most in here seem to disagree with their confessions on at least the eschatological view (which is ok in my opinion).

Then I'm not sure we're communicating well. Nominalism, a rejection of universal absolutes (or some variation on that theme), would agree with you in rejecting the point.

A nominalist is a person content with the name of Christianity without any regard to whether or not he is really one. A nominalist, in the context of this discussion, is one who is content with the use of words without examining what the words mean, what is their real life referent. To be a church or a Christian one must believe something. The confession is merely the statement of that belief. If it is something else, then it is not really a confession of faith.

Ok, perhaps this is another reason for miscommunication. The church is its believers, not just its elders. I would agree that if a church subscribes to a Confession (a written document of belief) it doesn't believe, that's not a confession.

The church in its catholic element is its members, but in its particular expression it is first a ministry. Hence the apostles, as men set apart to preach, were the foundation of the true church. Please consult also WCF 25:3, 4. It is the particular church as a ministry which confesses its faith through preaching the Word and administering sacraments.

Which, I'd hope you agree, is most definitely not the case. In fact, it's the church's job to make sure its written Confession is a statement of what it believes! In this sense, the church controls its written Confession.

The church certainly has a duty and is obliged in all honesty to ensure that what it confesses is in fact what it believes (which is sadly becoming less common today); but the fact is that the faith of the church is not revealed by flesh and blood but by the Father in heaven. Its confession of faith should be nothing more and nothing less than what "the Holy Spirit speaking in the Scripture" has revealed. The church ministerially expresses this, but it does not exercise any control over its content, because this is magisterially determined by the Head of the Church alone.

Am I making sense? I think a misunderstanding was at the root of our discussion : Good night.It's getting late here.

You make good sense. The misunderstanding is not at the level of our discussion but of our experience. The dichotomy is a reality for some, perhaps even a majority, of reformed folk today, but it is not something which enters into my experience, nor one which I think is warranted by holy Scripture. I hope you have a good night's rest.

Ryan, I don't share Matthew's view that someone who departs from the WCF on a point of doctrine is not holding to the Christian faith at that point. For instance, as a credobaptist I would not be in agreement with the WCF. I am not a credobaptist today and not one tomorrow. Therefore, am I not holding to the Christian faith all the time I am a credobaptist? At worse I may not be holding to the TR position, but so what? There is only one faith and we are either of it or not.

Ryan, I don't share Matthew's view that someone who departs from the WCF on a point of doctrine is not holding to the Christian faith at that point. For instance, as a credobaptist I would not be in agreement with the WCF. I am not a credobaptist today and not one tomorrow. Therefore, am I not holding to the Christian faith all the time I am a credobaptist? At worse I may not be holding to the TR position, but so what? There is only one faith and we are either of it or not.

Hey Bill,

It took me a couple of times to understand what Matthew was saying in the post you are disputing. I'm not saying I completely understand it like he does, but I just didn't want you to read past what Matthew was writing and think that he was calling credo's non-believers. Do credo's hold to the Christian faith when it comes to baptism? According to the WCF the answer is no. That doesn't mean they are not believers.

It makes sense if you think about it. If credo's and paedo's thought the other groups were holding to the Christian faith in the matter of baptism then there wouldn't be any of these baptism threads.

Hey Bill,

It took me a couple of times to understand what Matthew was saying in the post you are disputing. I'm not saying I completely understand it like he does, but I just didn't want you to read past what Matthew was writing and think that he was calling credo's non-believers. Do credo's hold to the Christian faith when it comes to baptism? According to the WCF the answer is no. That doesn't mean they are not believers.

It makes sense if you think about it. If credo's and paedo's thought the other groups were holding to the Christian faith in the matter of baptism then there wouldn't be any of these baptism threads.

Ryan, I may be reading Matthew wrong (Matthew, this is directed at you also.) If Matthew is saying, "In the area in which you are in disagreement with the WCF, you are not holding the Christian faith", I could understand that comment. Upon first read it seemed that Matthew was saying that a person who disagrees with the WCF is not holding the Christian faith. If that is the case then I stand corrected. It would be fitting terminology at that point because I consider those who are in disagreement with credo baptism to be in error, but not denying the faith that was once delivered.

Bill,

I'm pretty sure that's what Matthew is saying. See post #34. I was like you the first time I read his post. But then I read it a couple of more times and it made sense to me.

And I certainly wasn't trying to correct you, brother. I just wanted to try and clarify what I thought Matthew was saying for sake of thread unity. That's the danger in writing things to people as opposed to talking to them. A lot of time what we are trying to say gets misunderstood when we type it.

Bill,

I'm pretty sure that's what Matthew is saying. See post #34. I was like you the first time I read his post. But then I read it a couple of more times and it made sense to me.

And I certainly wasn't trying to correct you, brother. I just wanted to try and clarify what I thought Matthew was saying for sake of thread unity. That's the danger in writing things to people as opposed to talking to them. A lot of time what we are trying to say gets misunderstood when we type it.

There's lots of room for misunderstanding! Forums like these show us how important non-verbal communication is in our day to day conversations. People are far more often unintentionally offended in forums then in face to face conversation.

WOw, I go away for a pig roast and come back and POW!!! About 50 new posts and a lot of heat and/or light.

Was the pig roast good?

Not real clean (kicked in the ground) served on the grass..and REALLY fatty. Had 100 pig-greasy hands grabbing for my son too trying to pinch his white cheeks. YUCK. It was enjoyable but not enjoyable like a US Barbecue. My son climbed trees all day with local kids and I met some more gov't officials who made more promises of help in my area.

We got a large hunk of meat in my fridge now (after washing the grass and fur off of it). I managed to get some fresh bacon from the coast too and I will cook both together tomorrow for Perin, the local woman that lives with my wife and I (show her how Americans eat pig.... mix it together and add salt and black pepper).

Maybe in time you'll come to think of the fur and grass as seasoning.

I've already come to think of ants as the seasoning....fur is the next level I guess.

Stage one: Look at ants in disgust, and throw away your food
Stage two: Look at ants, brush them off and eat your food,
Stage three: Eat the ants.

Sifting flour and sugar was a skill that seminary did not prepare me for.

If it can be digested, it's food right? (That coming from the pickiest eater on the PB)

In addition, in his hope for a new confession, Frame isn't saying the old ones are bad; he merely points out that there are more issues that should be addressed.

It's interesting to examine what is in the confessions and what isn't. In an age that seems to tend toward reducing confessional content, it makes more sense to add to it, since there are more issues today than back in the 17th century.

Areas I'd like to see addressed in the Confession:

Relationship of Confessional churches to those of other beliefs.

Statement on the Lordship Controversy (of course, there are already chapters on Saving Faith and Repentance Unto Life, but I think it might be possible to amend or add to them in such a way that they speak clearly to the problems created by Chafer/Ryrie/Hodges/Wilkin.)

Family and gender issues

Evangelism and Missions

Thanks, Charlie. Those are some of the very same suggestions I made on this board under the thread "The Danger of Reformed Confessionalism," which was actually started in response to a two-part post I submitted on RBS Tabletalk: The Weblog of Reformed Baptist Seminary. By the way, I'm not far away. Live in Greenville, and minister in Easley. Thanks again for your post.

it makes more sense to add to it, since there are more issues today than back in the 17th century.

Actually, there were some popular heresy's and doctrinal error then that the Westminster Divines were very carefully writing to avoid that are not common in this generation so I'm not sure this is the case.

As a layman, I take comfort in the fact that most sophisticated theological arguments (as in other spheres) boil down to very simple and basic matters. God has gifted people to help make the complex understandable to protect His church in each generation.

As Ecclesiastes 1:9:
The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.

Most are recycled, repackaged error that has been dealt with in the past.

Confessions are not intended to cover every doctrine and they are not intended to bind men's consciences except in most essential detail.

I think 350 years of surviving the testing from some of the greatest teachers in Christendom and some of her most ardent antagonists have born out the that the Confessions are reliable and trustworth summaries of the doctrine contained in Scripture.

They need to always be amendable, but only changed, added to, or revised only with the greatest of deliberation.

Don't forget, when the PCUSA began adopting modernism, the denomination began by adding (in their case Arminianism, in direct contradiction to the Standards) to the Confession. Study this historical example and see how it was done under pretense of being for the Gospel, by including the nonbiblical addition of a chapter on the Holy Spirit who, by the changes was represented as responding to man's choice. This meant moving away from limited atonement and toward Arminianism. The revised document became contradictory and a compromise document that descended into decentralized private interpretation and lost much of its meaning and authority.

About every Reformed denomination went back to the original formulations because they are trustworthy and faithful to Scripture, demonstrably so.

Last edited:
What exactly do you mean (for clarification)? I've noticed consistant dissent from both of the confessions (WCF and LBC 1689) here at the PuritanBoard. Both uphold a "Historicist" eschatology that very few people here agree with (this doesn't refer to me because I AM historicist). I'm just using that example to say it seems people have been given room to not completely agree with the confessions, so I assumed it was the norm.

Manley,

The confessional requirements for PB membership are:

Confessional Requirements: One must hold to either the Westminster Standards, the Three Forms of Unity, the Second Helvetic Confession, or the LBCF to be approved for membership without a waiver. This does not mean that the these confessions are viewed as the "Word of God." Rather, these confessions and creeds are taken to accurately summarize the key doctrines of the Bible and allow mutual, like-minded fellowship (Amos 3:3, "Can two walk together unless they be agreed?"). The adherence to any orthodox historical documents assure that the board will be kept "like-minded" in most of the basic points of salvation history and that the fellowship "exhortive and encouraging." Those who seek to modify, depart from, change or disprove the doctrines found in the Confessions will bear the burden of proof to support their claim.

Manley, I think this is self explanatory. There are areas where the confessions are silent. They do not address each and every circumstance that a believer will encounter in their Christian walk. However, the confessions are concordia cum veritate, in harmony with truth. The burden rests on the one who questions the confessions to present their argument for consideration. It is for that reason that I posted that cautionary reminder.

That's not really answering my question. The historicist view is clearly taught in the WCF and the LBC 1689 but not considered vital enough to bring warnings to those who don't adhere. My question is; what views taught in the confessions are treated with this level of seriousness and which aren't? I'm not asking to be rude but seeking to clarify the statements on the forum rules.

I agree that people shouldn't have to all subscribe to Historicism but that doesn't seem to fit with your warning. To be honest, I don't disagree with a single thing in the LBC 1689 but most in here seem to disagree with their confessions on at least the eschatological view (which is ok in my opinion).

Manley,

I can't answer for each and every moderator, admins or the owners of the board. I do know that we have allowed a certain degree of latitude in discussions that are not lockstep with the confessions. It's not a black or white decision on whether a person is contra-confessional. The attitude of the person, the areas in which they question the confessions and their response to correction would be determinative as to our response. There are some matters such as the NPP or the FV which there is absolutely no tolerance for. If PB member has a general disdain for the confessions that will be opposed quickly and decisively.

I hope this explanation helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back