Who did Calvin think wrote Hebrews?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyedoc84

Puritan Board Sophomore
He refers to the author as “Apostle” throughout his commentary, but plainly states it was not Paul. Does anyone know if he ever stated his opinion as to the specific author?

"Now, if this Timothy was the renowned companion of Paul, which I am inclined to think, it is very probable that either Luke or Clement was the author of this Epistle." (Calvin, Commentary on Hebrews, 13:23)

Personally, I think there are a lot of compelling reasons to think it could very likely have been Luke, based especially on linguistic indicators such as its particular usage of vocabulary, syntax, literary devices, prologues, and OT citation formulae, as laid out in this book.

"Now, if this Timothy was the renowned companion of Paul, which I am inclined to think, it is very probable that either Luke or Clement was the author of this Epistle." (Calvin, Commentary on Hebrews, 13:23)

Personally, I think there are a lot of compelling reasons to think it could very likely have been Luke, based especially on linguistic indicators such as its particular usage of vocabulary, syntax, literary devices, prologues, and OT citation formulae, as laid out in this book.
not sure how i missed that, thanks. I have read Allen’s book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back