Who has a koran ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mayflower

Puritan Board Junior
These last weeks i have alot contact with muslims, and iam also reading much books on the Islam by Christian writters, which are very helpfull.

Has anyone ever read the Koran, so that you might get a better understanding of the Islam religion ?

Do you think it is a problem to have a koran in your libery for reseach on the islam religion, or would you not allowed to have this book in your house because it's a false religion ?

Any thoughts ?

I have read it 7 times, as well as some of the works of Al-Ghazali.

Read it chronologically (the Koran is not chronological...google this and you can find lists of the verses by chronological order) and you can see the progression of Mhd's thought from a minority religion focused on re-ordering one's behaviors to a majority religion bent on domination.

I don't have one, but if it became a topic of study I don't see any problem with it.

For years I had a Book of Mormon and a New World Translation (Jehovah's Witness Bible) for the same reasons you mentioned. I only got rid of them because I ran out of room and something had to go, so I dumped them along with a few other less worthy books.

I have a Quran, and I've read only parts of it. I try not to read very much of it and not very often......but only enough to get a better understanding. I did mission work before in a highly Muslim community....so it was useful for me to learn a bit of the Quran. But, honestly, you don't have to read it to be able to defend the faith.

I have a friend who was raised Muslim and became a reformed Christian, and he highly recommends this book, if you are interested:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Truth-About-Islam-QurAns-Teachings/dp/0875526217/ref=pd_sim_b_2]Amazon.com: The Truth About Islam: The Noble Qur'An's Teachings in Light of the Holy Bible: Anees Zaka, Diane Coleman: Books[/ame]

I possess a very nice copy of the Qur'an. I have read small portions of it for research and apologetic purposes. The copy I have is in the apologetics section along with my Catholic Catechism, New World Translation Bible, Mormon Bible and a copy of "Generous Orthodoxy" by McLaren (!). It is for information purposes only.

Paul speaks of "casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ." 2 Corinthians 10:5

Personally I think it would be difficult to cast down an argument if you don't know what your opponent is saying. And if keeping a copy of the Qur'an in my library is wrong then I probably shouldn't have any Nietzche, Plato or Aristotle either.

One example of how this might work: I quoted from the Qur'an in a sermon on the Trinity to prove that Muslims explicitly deny the Trinity to expose the lie that Christianity and Islam are compatible.

Of course it's OK to have one. I have an Arabic/English one to help me remember what little Arabic I once learned. It is important to have a source to go to when confronting error.

It's right on the "Those Other Books for Research" shelf, next to the Schofield annotated Bible and Russell's "Why I am Not a Christian."

Yes, I have a couple of copies as well.... I've presented some lectures on Islam and that's pretty hard to do without actually reading and interacting with the Qur'an.

I used to have one. I would like to get another one soon. Although I never got around to peering into it much, I am positive it has more literary value than the book of Mormon (on the unassailable grounds that nothing could have less).

I have a bunch of them. You can get them free all over the net...google free qu'ran.

I think its wonderful to be able to be familiar with the Koran. I have read parts of it, and its an absolutely fascinating book. Its really helped me understand some of what is going on in the world. I think its clear that Paul was very knowledgable about Greek and Roman thought and that he was able to use his knowledge and understanding to effectively preach Christ to the pagans.

Also, R.C. Sproul has co-written a really excellent book on Islam. It helped me to understand the religion and its followers much better. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Side-Islam-R-Sproul/dp/1581344414/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244153573&sr=8-4]Amazon.com: The Dark Side of Islam: R. C. Sproul, Abdul Saleeb: Books[/ame]

These last weeks i have alot contact with muslims, and iam also reading much books on the Islam by Christian writters, which are very helpfull.

Has anyone ever read the Koran, so that you might get a better understanding of the Islam religion ?

Do you think it is a problem to have a koran in your libery for reseach on the islam religion, or would you not allowed to have this book in your house because it's a false religion ?

Any thoughts ?

I read it through in preparation for teaching our church about Islam. The Quran is an accumulation of one man's mind and, unlike the Word of God is almost entirely detached from historical context and the outworking of the Creator's plan for mankind through the ages. It is tedious reading but necessary if one plans to expose its dark roots.

I own a couple of second-hand editions... an old Penguin Classics paperback (N.J. Dawood translation, 1956) and an old Everyman's Library hardcover (Rev. J.M. Rodwell translation, 1861). The first I bought during a particularly dark period spiritually when I was still in the Roman Catholic Church; the second, as a reference text for an Islamic Philosophy course I took last semester.

Overall, I have found the Qur'an to be a very powerful piece of literature, containing quite a lot of truth. It is persuasive, effective. I can understand how one could be led to sincerely feel that it is a divinely inspired book. There aren't many like it.

I have one; I got it during my searching days, from a Muslim apologist type. I have read through the whole thing, and found it somewhat profitable for understanding what I actually believe about certain subjects.

I used this listing in order to read through the Qur'an in a chronological manner. This was much easier than reading straight through from front to back, and also interesting in that you are able to see the way in which certain ideas changed over time.

96 68 73 74 1 111 81 87 92 89 93 94 103 100
108 102 107 109 105 113 114 112 53 80 97 91 85 95
106 101 75 104 77 50 90 86 54 38 7 72 36 25
35 19 20 56 26 27 28 17 10 11 12 15 6 37
31 34 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 51 88 18 16
71 14 21 23 32 52 67 69 70 78 79 82 84 30
29 83 2 68 3 33 60 4 99 57 47 13 55 76
65 98 59 24 22 63 58 49 66 64 61 62 48 5
8-9 110

Dr. White has an entry explaining the way in which the text was structured.

I have two but I find them mostly only useful for referencing although I have read them before.

What we read from the text when we just pick it up and start reading can be very different from what the Muslims see. It is better then to read a commentary or hear a sermon about the given passage or idea, otherwise you go to them and say "The Quran says this" and they say "No." Better to say "The Quran says this and xyz interpreted it this way" etc...

Its a bit like all the trash people manage to drag out of the Bible when people set about reading it just to defunct Christianity.

I have two but I find them mostly only useful for referencing although I have read them before.

What we read from the text when we just pick it up and start reading can be very different from what the Muslims see. It is better then to read a commentary or hear a sermon about the given passage or idea, otherwise you go to them and say "The Quran says this" and they say "No." Better to say "The Quran says this and xyz interpreted it this way" etc...

Its a bit like all the trash people manage to drag out of the Bible when people set about reading it just to defunct Christianity.

That is one reason you really need to read the hadith. There's a bunch of it/them though.

That is one reason you really need to read the hadith. There's a bunch of it/them though.

I have one and have read it in its entirety once.

Lawrence, do you know where I could purchase a copy of the hadith?

Be careful. Our supreme leader kept calling it the "Holy" Koran today in his speech.

How important is it to know/cite the original? I have heard so many things about the way Muslims often look down on all translational efforts.

I have one and have read it in its entirety once.

Lawrence, do you know where I could purchase a copy of the hadith?

There are too many to gather all in one book:

http://http://www.uga.edu/islam/hadith.html

http://http://www.islamonline.net/iol-english/info/hadith.asp

Our family has a copy of Koran (in English/Arabic). It was brought by my dad from Saudi Arabia where he worked for several years.

-----Added 6/5/2009 at 02:23:49 EST-----

I don't see anything wrong with having a Koran in your home as long as you use it for research purposes only. I have books and tracts defending beliefs and practices of false religions or sects (e.g., extreme Pentecostalism, Roman Catholicism, etc.).

We Christians also need to know what members of such groups believe. Experience shows that they respect Christians who do not misrepresent their false religions' beliefs and practices. Knowing what they believe is extremely helpful in presenting a case for Christianity (cf. 1 Peter 3:15).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back