Who is closer to Rome, Doug Wilson or NT Wright?

Discussion in 'Federal Vision/New Perspectives' started by Doulos McKenzie, Jan 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doulos McKenzie

Doulos McKenzie Puritan Board Freshman

Just wondering y'all's opinions.

2. greenbaggins

greenbaggins Administrator Staff Member

Wright, for sure.

3. BayouHuguenot

BayouHuguenot Puritan Board Doctor

Former pastor in my area went to England to study under Wright. Wright wouldn't ordain him because Wright thought the guy was too close to Rome.

4. arapahoepark

arapahoepark Puritan Board Graduate

Wright. Anglican bishop who has said he wants the NPP to be an ecumenical doctrine. I'll have to find the quote.

5. Southern Presbyterian

Southern Presbyterian Moderator Staff Member

Wright lives in England. He is definitely much closer. :D

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

6. Joshua

Joshua Administrator Staff Member

Good one, James!

7. Jake

Jake Puritan Board Junior

Wright is Reformed relative to his context. Douglas Wilson (although not as much as some F.V. folks) is closer to Rome in the context of conservative Reformed circles.

8. PuritanCovenanter

PuritanCovenanter Moderator Staff Member

Here are some quotes by Wright in his book 'What St. Paul Really Said'.

9. BayouHuguenot

BayouHuguenot Puritan Board Doctor

While Wright is wrong on this, I don't see him saying what some FV types are purported to say, "We are justified by our Spirit-wrought sanctity." The problem with Wilson is that he backtracks, so who knows what he says? You can't read an apology or retraction by him without hearing how awesome he is.

10. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Puritan Board Doctor

In the eyes of his fawning admirers in various evangelical seminaries, Wright isn't tainted by what they see as Wilson's toxic patriarchy, his defense of the antebellum South and all of the other charges that have been aimed at Wilson, valid or not. (This is assuming that they have any familiarity with Wilson at all.) By contrast, Wright is seen as being the most respectable "conservative" religious academic that there is. Some of these types, even purportedly "Calvinistic" ones, are also drawn to Roman Catholic contemplative spirituality. Make of that what you will.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.