Who is Jovian when cited amongst other historians, Socrates, Ruffinus, Eusebius, Nichephorus, etc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
Who is Jovian when cited amongst other historians, Socrates, Ruffinus, Eusebius, Nichephorus, etc.? It may be abbreviated. Rutherford cites him Lib. 10, c. 39.

All I get hits on for Jovian (or Iovian, Jovianus) are the Roman Emperor but I'm not aware or have not found that he has any work in 10 or more books.

I think it must be the short-lived Roman emperor. He made Christianity the state religion after Julian-the-apostate’a death.
Got that from book III chapter 22 of Socrates’ Ecclesiastical Histories.

Rutherford says "For Constantine the great closed the Temples of Heathen Gods, to the end that heathenish idolatry be abolished, as Eusebius says; see also Ruffinus, Iovianus, and Nicephorus. The marginal reference is "Iovian. lib. 10, c.39."
I think it must be the short-lived Roman emperor. He made Christianity the state religion after Julian-the-apostate’a death.
Got that from book III chapter 22 of Socrates’ Ecclesiastical Histories.

Last edited:
I have no idea what that reference is. Socrates' History describes his reforms put into place to suppress paganism, and apparently Athanasius wrote to him. Beyond that, I have nothing.

I have no idea what that reference is. Socrates' History describes his reforms put into place to suppress paganism, and apparently Athanasius wrote to him. Beyond that, I have nothing.
Found it. There was no reason to know from the order of the references since Rutherford's first reference to Nicephorus comes after the one to Jovianus, but there is a book 10 and chapter 39 in Nicephorus on Jovian's reign and abolishing the worship of idols.

That is quite odd, mixing the subject-matter in with a list of primary sources like that. Just curious, I did some checking around last night and looked into the Nicephorus option, but I didn't see any chapter enumerations in his work. Which edition did you find that in?

This is the edition; we are supposed to find one reasonable close prior to the publication date. By the way, this is what the page with the references looks like:
1674320500629.png
That is quite odd, mixing the subject-matter in with a list of primary sources like that. Just curious, I did some checking around last night and looked into the Nicephorus option, but I didn't see any chapter enumerations in his work. Which edition did you find that in?

Well, wow... it was evidently way past my bedtime then, because I was totally barking up the wrong tree. I had in mind Nicephorus Gregoras and his Byzantine History - which if I had been thinking straight, of course applies to a period well after Constantine and Jovian... :doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back