Who is your favorite Puritan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thistle93

Puritan Board Freshman
If you don't mind, who is your favorite puritan and explain briefly why? Also include your favorite work from that puritan and explain briefly why?
This may be a hard question with the vast number to chose from. Thank you!

For His Glory-
Matthew

The answer would probably be different if you asked which writer I find "most useful" or who I think is the "best." But for a "favorite" I have to go with Sibbes, because he always seems to make me appreciate Christ more deeply.

Thomas Watson, particularly for his vivid use of language. He was an expert communicator and his expertise makes him continue to be one of the most readable of the Puritans. His book All Things for Good is a classic, not to be missed for its compelling explanation and application of the doctrine of providence.

The answer would probably be different if you asked which writer I find "most useful" or who I think is the "best." But for a "favorite" I have to go with Sibbes, because he always seems to make me appreciate Christ more deeply.

Thomas Watson, particularly for his vivid use of language. He was an expert communicator and his expertise makes him continue to be one of the most readable of the Puritans. His book All Things for Good is a classic, not to be missed for its compelling explanation and application of the doctrine of providence.
I agree, Sibbes and Watson.

My favorite usually happens to be the Puritan that I'm reading at the time. I usually say John Owen, as I am always floored by his writings. Most particularly his works on Mortification and Spiritual Mindedness. Watson is always a pleasure to read; you really can't go wrong with anything by him. George Swinnock, you'll find is quite devotional - I find his writings extremely moving. Thomas Manton is a rock, I can always count on him to say exactly what I need to hear. Try his work on Psalm 119. Jeremiah Burroughs is thorough, as you'll find most Puritans are. His Rare Jewel changed my life.

I guess I can write a little something on every Puritan I've read... But I find that all of them write in a manner that depicts an extreme closeness to the Lord. As if their minds are fixed in heaven.

I've also thoroughly enjoyed works by other lesser known Puritans like Sir Richard Baker and his work on the Psalms; Samuel Smith and his Commentaries on some of the Psalms (his work on Psalm 1 is in print); William Secker's Nonsuch Professor is excellent.

Last edited:
Owen for doctrinal satisfaction,Swinnock for devotional enjoyment and
his ability tub capture a truth in a pithy saying.

I can't limit it to just one. I've got 3 men tied for 1st place: Jonathan Edwards, Jeremiah Burroughs, and Christopher Love.

There are better Puritan preachers and writers but I have to go with James Durham for professional interest which has had me spent a lot of time with his works.

There are better Puritan preachers and writers but I have to go with James Durham for professional interest which has had me spent a lot of time with his works.

There are certainly people from whom it is easier to extract a short and memorable saying (David Dickson), but Durham's explanations tend to be of the best.

Thomas Watson. He is brief, vivid, easy to understand, practical, and not afraid to tell it the way it is.

My favourite Puritan would have to be Rutherford and his letters. I found my heart warmed every time I would read his letters.

Thomas Brooks is my favourite, what a mighty encouragement his writings have been.

Unlike many of the puritans, relatively little is known about him on a personal level.

I am thoroughly enjoying Robert Murray M'Cheyne. His sermons [Hebrews, Old Testament & New Testament] are so Christological. I love Matthew Henry's Commentary. And, I love Rutherford's letters. If I had to say who I thought was the best... I would have to go with Calvin, as in John Calvin! His prayers, sermons, institutes and commentaries will keep me busy for years to come. He had such a passion for what he believed. If Calvin doesn't count, I think Knox is my next. If he doesn't count either, I would have to go with Durham as the "best" for his diligence. I can't wait to read his LXXII sermons on the whole 53rd chapter of Isaiah.

For sheer genius in the history of Christianity: Owen.
For imaginative ability to tell the old, old story: Bunyan.

Thomas Watson, John Bunyan, John Owen, Matthew Henry, John Flavel, Thomas Brooks, ... in the order that I benefited

Books are hard to choose ...
Thomas Watson - The Divine Cordial is the best for its assurance - The Body of Divinity, The Ten Commandments, and The Lord's Prayer are a nice Puritan Systematic Theology by itself
John Bunyan - Of course, the allegories - Pilgrim's Progress and Holy War. The best to me was "The Greatness of the Soul and the Loss Thereof" which shook my soul
John Owen - The work on "Mortification of Sin" ... The Glory of Christ and Communion with the Triune God follow closely
Matthew Henry - "The Method of Prayer" for really teaching a biblical way to pray. Of course, the ever beneficial commentaries!
John Flavel, Thomas Brooks - plenty of sweet and clear writings that excite the soul towards God

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back