Who may join your Church?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin

Puritan Board Doctor
I know the right reply is all persons who have been (properly) baptised, who confess Christ and their children.

However what I am wondering of my fellow Presbyterian members of the board is how many of you are part of a "confessional membership" denomination. I know that at least some Dutch churches require subscription to join, but how common is this among some of the various groups here on the board?

Thanks.

My experience is with Presbyterian churches (old PCUS and PCA). New members would go through a new members class, where the major points of doctrine and polity were presented. This would allow them to know, to some degree, the confession of the church. They would also be examined by the elders concerning their testimony.

Formal confessional subscription is only required of the elders, the deacons, and sometimes the teachers.

Hello Kevin,

The practice of the United Reformed Churches in North America is typical of the historic practice of the Reformed churches in having members answer yes to the vow about believing the doctrine taught in the church. I'm sure this is also the practice of all other Continental Reformed churches.

You can read more about our practice in an article I wrote that is entitled, "...An Taught in This Christian Church." It's on this page: http://dannyhyde.squarespace.com/published-essays/and taught in this christian church.pdf

Hello Kevin,

The practice of the United Reformed Churches in North America is typical of the historic practice of the Reformed churches in having members answer yes to the vow about believing the doctrine taught in the church. I'm sure this is also the practice of all other Continental Reformed churches.

You can read more about our practice in an article I wrote that is entitled, "...An Taught in This Christian Church." It's on this page: http://dannyhyde.squarespace.com/published-essays/and taught in this christian church.pdf

Thanks, pastor Hyde. I thought that was the case with the URC.

How about some of you who are in the "smaller" presbyterian bodies? Have any of you adopted this?

I know the right reply is all persons who have been (properly) baptised, who confess Christ and their children.

However what I am wondering of my fellow Presbyterian members of the board is how many of you are part of a "confessional membership" denomination. I know that at least some Dutch churches require subscription to join, but how common is this among some of the various groups here on the board?

Thanks.

Anyone?

In the WPCUS one may become a communicant member by an accredited profession of faith before a session. This profession is defined by our Basis of Union as involving sustaining an examination in the Westminster Shorter Catechsim as a summary of a Christian profession of faith. We do not require communicants to formally subscribe something but in our conviction that the content of the shorter catechism is the substance of the Christian faith that is the standard we use when judging a credible profession. Does that help?

In the WPCUS one may become a communicant member by an accredited profession of faith before a session. This profession is defined by our Basis of Union as involving sustaining an examination in the Westminster Shorter Catechsim as a summary of a Christian profession of faith. We do not require communicants to formally subscribe something but in our conviction that the content of the shorter catechism is the substance of the Christian faith that is the standard we use when judging a credible profession. Does that help?

Yes it does. Thanks!:up:

This is what I am trying to get a handle on how does the "practice" vary from Presbyterian denomination to denomination.

In the OPC there is no formal subscription required. There is a question during the membership 'ceremony' where the new member agrees to submit to the discipline of the church.

The PCA is similar but I think it was more like 4 or 5 questions. I was asked these at the Lakewood PCA session meeting last Wednesday night and will be asked them again formally this coming Lord's day (explanation here). One of the older elders also encouraged me if I ever came to reject any of the system of doctrine to discuss it with the session (then he smiled and said, not the issues already mentioned, EP, accapella psalmody, etc., etc., etc;)).

At our OPC you also appear before the session for examining and then do formal vows before the congregation.

The PCA is similar but I think it was more like 4 or 5 questions. I was asked these at the Lakewood PCA session meeting last Wednesday night and will be asked them again formally this coming Lord's day (explanation here). One of the older elders also encouraged me if I ever came to reject any of the system of doctrine to discuss it with the session (then he smiled and said, not the issues already mentioned, EP, accapella psalmody, etc., etc., etc;)).

All that is required is a credible profession of faith:

6-2. Communing members are those who have made a profession of faith in Christ, have been baptized, and have been admitted by the Session to the Lord's Table. (See BCO 46-4 for associate members).

and the Questions are:

1. Do you acknowledge yourselves to be sinners in the sight of
God, justly deserving His displeasure, and without hope save
in His sovereign mercy?
2. Do you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ as the Son of God,
and Savior of sinners, and do you receive and rest upon Him
alone for salvation as He is offered in the Gospel?
3. Do you now resolve and promise, in humble reliance upon
the grace of the Holy Spirit, that you will endeavor to live as
becomes the followers of Christ?
4. Do you promise to support the Church in its worship and
work to the best of your ability?
5. Do you submit yourselves to the government and discipline
of the Church, and promise to study its purity and peace?

We go before the Session and answer the questions as well, we also have a New Members Class, I don't know that the New Members Class is required at our church, but most people go.

If a person hasn't been baptised it is schedule after they go before the Session.

Maybe this question should be asked on another thread, but do other churches who have the New Members class also take a Spiritual Gifts Inventory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back