Who on PB doesn't care for sports?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I LOVE the interesting sports . . .

* Two light middleweight theologians sparring a few rounds at a denominational meeting.
* Watching a marathon debate between James White and William Shishko on baptism.
* Taking part in a hot and heavy scrum between cessationists and non-cessationists.
* Charging the net in a tough match between KJVO and Critical Text combatants.
* Enjoying a 7th inning stretch at a denominational policy debate to down a quick cup of coffee.
* Sneaking into the locker room during halftime to hear the coach's pep talk in the covenant vs. dispensationalist title game.
:think::lol:
:rofl:

* Two light middleweight theologians sparring a few rounds at a denominational meeting.
* Watching a marathon debate between James White and William Shishko on baptism.
* Taking part in a hot and heavy scrum between cessationists and non-cessationists.
* Enjoying a 7th inning stretch at a denominational policy debate to down a quick cup of coffee.
* Sneaking into the locker room during halftime to hear the coach's pep talk in the covenant vs. dispensationalist title game.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: 4th quarter, dig deep men, the Arminians are gonna come hard and fast :rofl::rofl:

That is the funniest thing I've read/heard all day, shoot maybe all week.

I think Sports is an unbelievable waste of time. "Oh, look, they carried the ball over the line. Oh, look, they carried the ball over the other line. I think I will sit hit and watch them do it over and over again for the next few hours."

No thanks. Give me the Bible. Give me a good Johnny Mac book. Heck, give me a soap box and a street corner full of pagans. I will not sit there and watch thousands of people piddle their life away on mindless, meaningless activity.

Not really into it. No time. While I don't see anything wrong with playing them for fun, I do find it odd how so many who will spend hour after hour practicing for their sport of choice really don't have time for an hour in the Word each day. Please understand that I am as guilty as they come, and not pointing to sports as the great evil (it need not be sports, insert any pastime into the blank) but I too can't comprehend that we as believers spend so much time/$ on 'bread and circuses' when we see society decaying around us. And we have the cure to their disease!

Also, when I think that the father of four of my sons could have lived for a few dollars worth of medicine - less than the price of a hot dog at the ball park, never mind the cost of a ticket to go to the big game! - it really gets my goat. And yet the coffee I buy while I'm out in the space of a week could have done the same.

Not really into it. No time. While I don't see anything wrong with playing them for fun, I do find it odd how so many who will spend hour after hour practicing for their sport of choice really don't have time for an hour in the Word each day. Please understand that I am as guilty as they come, and not pointing to sports as the great evil (it need not be sports, insert any pastime into the blank) but I too can't comprehend that we as believers spend so much time/$ on 'bread and circuses' when we see society decaying around us. And we have the cure to their disease!

Also, when I think that the father of four of my sons could have lived for a few dollars worth of medicine - less than the price of a hot dog at the ball park, never mind the cost of a ticket to go to the big game! - it really gets my goat. And yet the coffee I buy while I'm out in the space of a week could have done the same.

Sorry Kevin but your post has fallen on deaf ears here. I hope I am not out of line...... I think the character of my sons will lead some to Christ in their sporting events. I have had that experience myself. That is eternal.

It kind of reminds me of Jesus saying....
Mat 26:11 For ye have the poor always with you; but me ye have not always.

(Mar 14:7) For ye have the poor with you always, and whensoever ye will ye may do them good: but me ye have not always.

(Joh 12:8) For the poor always ye have with you; but me ye have not always.

It could be a Tyranny of the Urgent speaking in you. Jesus didn't heal everyone in this world when he was in it. Maybe He did. My Sons characters and lessons have been well taught and they needed coaches to teach them some things. I understand the Church and I do this but it also helps coming from other sources. As the scriptures say in Romans 5.. Experience...

Sporting and life in general is experience.

(Rom 5:1) Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:

(Rom 5:2) By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

(Rom 5:3) And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;

(Rom 5:4) And patience, experience; and experience, hope:

(Rom 5:5) And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

I don't mean to sound callous to the needs of others. I hope it isn't taken like this. I feed a lot of people who do not have means. But I think some try to put a conscience upon us that is not from God at the same time. I am not saying Kevin is doing that. If his conscience is pricked he should work differently than I am. I wouldn't discount sports or any hobby if God has you doing them for His Glory. I can play Golf to the Glory of God as many Scots did and do. I could run for the Glory of God as Eric Liddell did in the Olympics. The man gave his life. He loved Jesus.

BTW, Tyranny of the Urgent is now a google book. Tyranny of the Urgent - Google Books

Randy, I understand what you're saying, and believe me, I don't think that sports or the engagement therein is wrong, and I do believe that they can be done to God's glory. And my comments could be taken to the ridiculous: How dare we buy a second pair of shoes when there are people out there who could be cured of their disease and fed for a month on half of what we will spend? That's nuts. And yet we do see church members in Acts selling their investment properties to give to the poor widows of the congregations. They didn't say "well, the poor will be with us always, so I don't have to give to these poor widows". No, they gave of their abundance. So should we. But if the bulk of our abundance goes to housing costs (because we carry a $400K mortgage), car payments, sporting events and/or training therein, clothes that need to be bought new on a regular basis because the trends change before they wear out, a flat screen plasma because my Sony Trinitron that works well is just SO '90's, etc. etc., then I think we have a problem - we have amity with the world.

As for Eric Liddel, yes, he ran to God's glory. He also devoted his life to God in ways that many of us only read about. If Christians would take his example to heart (never mind Christ's, whose disciples we profess to be) in all aspects of our lives, we would live in a very different world. We are quite often guilty of making non-Christian choices, though they do not seem out of line in the world we live in today. Look at how Pergy or Mary lives, hold your life (or mine) up beside it and I can see vast room for improvement in how I live in light of what I profess.

If, and only if, you paid me quite generously to do so I might watch a match on TV or go to a game; but I would indubitably encourage my mind to wonder to more pleasant environs. All sports that do not involve combat, and most of them that do, are nauseatingly boring.
If I had a squash court in my backyard, though, I would play squash all the time: and in that case I might hang out nearby if other people were playing, but only so as not to lose my turn in the court.

I really don't follow sports. I don't really like 'mainline' sports. I like oddball kind of things: working out at the gym, drag racing, MMA upon occasion, and I'll watch a game if it means hanging out with the guys, but that only happens once a year or so. Other than that, watching Ozzie Guillén blow a gasket is more fun than the game.................

I enjoy a good game of volleyball with a group of friends. But I don't pay a whole lot of attention to sports aside from that.

Well said, Kevin.

Not only do many Christians spend vast percentages of their income on sports thereby limiting their ability to give to missions, they also limit their ability to support their local congregation. I can't tell you how many pastors I know who struggle to make ends meet, who have within their congregation families that all totalled spend more on sports and sporting events in a month than what the pastor needs to complete an adequate salary for his family. That is a shame. Little do those families know that their poor stewardship is impacting their spiritual condition and the discipleship of their family.

I think you need to distinguish between playing the sport yourself, (much more likely to be profitable) and being an armchair fan (much less likely).

I keep forgetting that y'all's gun season starts so much earlier that does ours. Good hunting! Put some meat in the cooler.

I enjoy playing sports with others, but I have no love for watching them. I do get annoyed when professing Christians meet together and all they seem to be able to talk about is how a certain team is doing.

I was a full scholarship basketball player in the late 80's in a mid-major D-I school. After two years I became a bit disillusioned with life, basketball, Christianity, etc. and decided to follow a friend of mine to The Master's College (John MacArthur's school). I played there on full scholarship for 2-years. MacArthur is a huge sports fan, and really wanted the school to boost its sports program. I had some offers to play overseas, but for small money. I decided to stay home and get a job. (It was at The Master's that I was introduced by some students to Reformed theology.)

The summer after my sophomore year I toured a couple of places in Europe with the Christian sports ministry Athletes in Action. I think many of the sports programs are great for sharing the gospel, but I think it's a shame if there is no follow up or discipleship for any that hear the gospel and want to know more. I believe AIA has worked hard to get key folks in many countries, though.

If you were to ask them I imagine all of my friends and family would have tagged me for eventually becoming the "overbearing sports dad" you see at the games, and who works his three sons out in the driveway and back yard every afternoon. But I have for the most part lost my interest in sports. I would rather take my three boys camping or fishing than shoot baskets with them in the driveway. Oh, they play in little leagues locally. My 11-year old is 5'11" tall and wears a size 13 men's shoe. I imagine he'll be bigger than I am (currently at 6'7" 300 lbs). He loves basketball and towers over the other kids. My other boys are tracking to be tall, as well, but not as extreme as the oldest.

If someone asks I can name a favorite sports team in football, basketball, baseball, etc. But, it's been years since I have watched a full game on TV. If someone offers me tickets to a pro or college game I will take them, but mainly for the same reason I play golf from time-to-time - for the fellowship and hanging out with friends more than for the game itself.

Sports? I could take them or leave them now. But I won't discourage my sons from playing them. Especially if they can get a full ride to college like their old man! :smug:

Sports? I could take them or leave them now. But I won't discourage my sons from playing them. Especially if they can get a full ride to college like their old man!

Me too! That was the only way I could get a college education (fat lot of good it did me!).

One confession: I did attend a couple of soccer games in China when the Olympics were going on. It was five bucks for nosebleed seats, and Judah (my eldest) LOVEs soccer. We're still dealing with that...I do like Euen Murray's example - I can get behind sportsmen like that!

I don't really care and never really did. There was a time that I actually tried to like sports. WHY? I gave up. I don't even watch the superbowl anymore. My wife is thankful for my disinterest. I do enjoy going to a live football or basketball game, if someone invites me. I enjoy the experience of the the game, and the "stadium food" more than the game itself. It is the getting out and fellowship, which I can do without the GAME. However, it is the GAME that is the reason that people gather. Or is it?

Okay, I will speak up in this thread now. I know I am going to be the minority, but I think it's only fair to have the other side of the coin presented as well.
I fully realize that many, many people (including Christians) have an idol in sports. Like others have mentioned, they invest far too much time and far too much money into sports. This time and money could easily be better used for the Kingdom. No arguement from me there. HOWEVER...just as sports is an idol for many (including Christians), there are an inumerable other things in the world that can be elevated to idol status and thus become sinful too. Money, jobs, fishing, computers, food, the list goes on and on. Pretty much any hobby can become an idol if not properly enjoyed in light of life's other responsibilities and callings.
Second, Christians could be accused of wasting money on any manner of things - it's certainly not limited to sports. Think about how much we reformed guys spend on books! Or think about the recent threads discussing the virtues of the ipad, iphone, kindle, blackberry, etc. These completely unneccessary gadgets cost upwards of several hundred dollars! Will anyone decry the Christians purchase and usage of them?
Lastly, some of the comments in this thread come across as borderline self-righteousness. Now I realize that can be a heavy label to throw out, but to make comments such as "I do get annoyed when professing Christians meet together and all they seem to be able to talk about is how a certain team is doing." are completely unwarranted in my opinion. Why can't Christians discuss sports? Watching sports isn't sinful. Talking about them isn't either. To then say it's annoying just comes across as overtly smug.
I completely understand sports is not for everyone. I don't have a problem with that. If sports is not your cup of tea, then no problem. I know we don't all share the same interests or hobbies. It's quite allright to be different, but lets not imply that those who do watch sports are somehow less holy or poor stewards of time and finances.

Second, Christians could be accused of wasting money on any manner of things - it's certainly not limited to sports. Think about how much we reformed guys spend on books! Or think about the recent threads discussing the virtues of the ipad, iphone, kindle, blackberry, etc. These completely unneccessary gadgets cost upwards of several hundred dollars! Will anyone decry the Christians purchase and usage of them?

Yes, I think it comes down to stewardship. I am not sure I could criticize much on the books, as its motivation is a deeper knowledge of God. But all the electronic gadgets, yes, I think that in many cases they are foolish wastes of money. If they are needed for work, fine. But I see plenty of teens as I drive down the street who have the best and newest Blackberries (and need to be surgically removed from them) and think 'why does a child need that?' Answer: they don't.

Andres mentioned hobbies, and it's worth discussing. So those of you who view sports as a waste of time and money, is that how you feel about all hobbies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back