Who on PB doesn't care for sports?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Second, Christians could be accused of wasting money on any manner of things - it's certainly not limited to sports. Think about how much we reformed guys spend on books! Or think about the recent threads discussing the virtues of the ipad, iphone, kindle, blackberry, etc. These completely unneccessary gadgets cost upwards of several hundred dollars! Will anyone decry the Christians purchase and usage of them?

Yes, I think it comes down to stewardship. I am not sure I could criticize much on the books, as its motivation is a deeper knowledge of God. But all the electronic gadgets, yes, I think that in many cases they are foolish wastes of money. If they are needed for work, fine. But I see plenty of teens as I drive down the street who have the best and newest Blackberries (and need to be surgically removed from them) and think 'why does a child need that?' Answer: they don't.

I'm not convinced we are only to have that which we explicitly need. See generally Job, David, Solomon, etc.

Impressive--not only can you identify the newest Blackberries, you can do so from long distance in a moving vehicle!

Maybe I'm just that out of touch, but when I see a kid with a slide-screen phone that has a whole keypad underneath it, I think 'new Blackberry'. Maybe I'm wrong. I have seen some extremely expensive looking phones being texted on by kids who have almost walked into me.

But I am impressive, I'll give you that. Thank you for noticing.

I'm not convinced we are only to have that which we explicitly need. See generally Job, David, Solomon, etc.

Granted. But two of those examples are not great ones for proper stewardship what God gave them. Or maybe lust was their besetting sin, who knows.

Honestly though, our world would be a very different place if we Christians all lived like those I mentioned a few posts back. To give selflessly and without reservation is a beautiful thing to see, even if we usually only see if from a great distance (I know that a feeling of entitlement is a big problem in my own life). We don't all have to move to the jungle to live like that, or be called to the mission field. Just do it here and now. And then watch what God does with it. To split hairs over 'well, if we simply gave ALL we had, then we wouldn't be good stewards of our then-starving children, would we?' and the like is, to me, an unprofitable argument to enter into. It is amazing how little one needs to get by. I am not talking about having only what we truly physically 'need' (ie one set of clothes, 2000 calories a day, and some sort of shelter from the elements), I am talking about an attitude of giving/living that we see in Acts and elsewhere that seems long dead in our Christian communities for the most part.

Andrew and Kevin both bring up valid points.

Andrew is correct. Anything can become an idol. Our current economic culture is based in large part upon generated felt need for certain products and the purchase of said products. Having stuff is not the problem. It is the view of the stuff. All stuff is God's; all of it. If we have an incorrect view of property we will be coveting the very things that are owned by God. (See the parable of the Rich Fool.) That being said, I believe that the obsession over sports that has become a part of our culture is particularly damaging because it is 'innocent'. There is nothing inherently wrong with participating in and watching sports. I do know men who cannot carry on an intelligent conversation about the Scriptures, the sermon they have just heard, and seemingly have no desire to do so. Yet, at the drop of a hat they can wax on for hours over the latest game, cite stats, and so on over a particular sport.

Kevin is also right. We would have an entirely different culture in the church if we pursued the type of stewardship which he is describing. Felt need is not real need.

Maybe I'm just that out of touch, but when I see a kid with a slide-screen phone that has a whole keypad underneath it, I think 'new Blackberry'. Maybe I'm wrong. I have seen some extremely expensive looking phones being texted on by kids who have almost walked into me.

I realize I'm getting off subject and was nit-picking on something that was not your main point. Nevertheless, I will add that you probably are a bit out of touch, as am I. I don't know what constitutes a new Blackberry, but I know it has nothing to do with the full keypad. My wife has something like you described--it looks sleek and cool, but it is by no means a Blackberry, and all it can do is place calls and send text messages....and it was free.

My phone slides out and has a fully QWERTY keyboard. It was free.

I am aiming to get a new Android phone (1) because of work and (2) because it's cool. I suppose I'm unregenerate though.

I am aiming to get a new Android phone (1) because of work and (2) because it's cool. I suppose I'm unregenerate though.

Not necessarily. I have a copy of "The Big Dutch Book of Who's Going to Heaven and Who's Not". I'll check and let you know.

It is not about what level of existence is meager enough to show that we are glorifying God in our Christian walk. Again, I look to selfless people I know (if I look at myself, I am lost indeed), and they are not spending their time drooling over the new XYZ, they are concerned for the lost and spend their time addressing the suffering in this world.

Blackberries are not evil. I know that. But the percentage of time we spend on the desiderata of the world is worrisome, is it not?

Last edited:
I hate sports and pray one day each team loses against each other and they go out of business.........i know, i know but everyone has to have a dream!

Without question the Apostle Paul was a sports fan, should we not imitate his example?

I think I would say "an argument can be made for the position that"... but I don't know that "without question" is correct. I've said to my son that (insert issue) is easy, "it's a slam dunk", among other sports related figures of speech. Does that mean that I am a basketball fan, without question? No. I watch the World Cup, but I am not a soccer 'fan' in the classic sense of the word, I'd just like to see Holland win the cup. But those who spend money on airfare to China, then hundreds upon hundreds of dollars to buy tickets, and know the life stats of every player, I just don't understand.

Without question the Apostle Paul was a sports fan, should we not imitate his example?

I think I would say "an argument can be made for the position that"... but I don't know that "without question" is correct. I've said to my son that (insert issue) is easy, "it's a slam dunk". Does that mean that I am a basketball fan, without question?

Why would the Apostle create an odious analogy for the Christian walk?

I have heard on many occasions a nonresistant preacher making analogy to military service (which he would strongly object to) in order to make a point. It doesn't imply complete acceptance thereof.

---------- Post added at 06:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

I believe Paul was using the commendable aspects of athletes without approving of the immorality associated with athletic events at that time.

I have heard on many occasions a nonresistant preacher making analogy to military service (which he would strongly object to) in order to make a point. It doesn't imply complete acceptance thereof.

---------- Post added at 06:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

I believe Paul was using the commendable aspects of athletes without approving of the immorality associated with athletic events at that time.

Really?

In referencing Paul and sports one should remember that he did not endorse all of what was entailed in the sport world of his day. If he had he would have endorsed public nudity. We get out word gymnasium for a reason. ;)

I hear that South Carolina has legalized rifles and pitiful deer compared to Ohio. Something about making it easier for the deer to survive, probably.

In referencing Paul and sports one should remember that he did not endorse all of what was entailed in the sport world of his day. If he had he would have endorsed public nudity. We get out word gymnasium for a reason. ;)

You mean strolling through the gym locker room in such manner isn't Pauline? :doh:

You mean strolling through the gym locker room in such manner isn't Pauline?

Competing publicly nude sure isn't Pauline. Sorry, but the 100 yard dash naked before thousands of fans, is, I think, safely beyond the Pale for Christians, without invoking 'man law'.

I, too, am not a sport's fan...no time for it...However, I will throw sharp objects at targets...

Competing publicly nude sure isn't Pauline. Sorry, but the 100 yard dash naked before thousands of fans, is, I think, safely beyond the Pale for Christians, without invoking 'man law'.

However, further discussion of public nudity will implicate 56 C.O.M. Sec. 1143 (Regarding Casual Discussions of Male Nudity, Ellen DeGeneres, and Care Bears)

However, further discussion of public nudity will implicate 56 C.O.M. Sec. 1143 (Regarding Casual Discussions of Male Nuditiy, Ellen DeGeneres, and Care Bears)

Then we'd best not touch it with a barge pole. Especially where the unholy trinity of male nudity, Ellen DeGeneres, and Care Bears are concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back