Who ruled Galilee after Herod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckd

Puritan Board Junior
Matthew Henry comments on Matt. 2:22
That it must settle in Galilee, Matt. 2:22. There Philip now ruled, who was a mild, quiet, man.

Wikipedia has Antipas:
After the death of Herod the Great in 4 BC, Augustus confirmed the testament of the dead king by making Antipas tetrarch of Galilee and Perea, a region he would rule for the next forty-two years.

Maybe both are correct and I need a map of where Nazareth was and the jurisdictional boundaries.

The maps I have show that Galilee was firmly in Antipas territory and Matthew Henry was just wrong.
Thanks, that's what I'm gathering.

I find it interesting that Joseph goes to Galilee to escape Archelaus (Matt. 2:22), but doing so put Jesus under the jurisdiction of Antipas (Luke 23:6-7).

Thanks, that's what I'm gathering.

I find it interesting that Joseph goes to Galilee to escape Archelaus (Matt. 2:22), but doing so put Jesus under the jurisdiction of Antipas (Luke 23:6-7).
Yes, that's an interesting note.

According to Josephus, Archelaus was something of a murderous maniac hated by the Jews for his slaughter of 3000 people in the Temple as well as subsequent cruelties.

(Some brief information from Josephus can be found here: https://canvas.jcu.edu/courses/9669/pages/josephus-on-archelaus)

But from what I can see, Antipas did not have any such record. At the time Antipas was still quite young. He does not appear to have been anything like the madman Archelaus was.

For more information, see Josephus, Book XXVII, Ch. 11-13.

Yes, that's an interesting note.

According to Josephus, Archelaus was something of a murderous maniac hated by the Jews for his slaughter of 3000 people in the Temple as well as subsequent cruelties.

(Some brief information from Josephus can be found here: https://canvas.jcu.edu/courses/9669/pages/josephus-on-archelaus)

But from what I can see, Antipas did not have any such record. At the time Antipas was still quite young. He does not appear to have been anything like the madman Archelaus was.

For more information, see Josephus, Book XXVII, Ch. 11-13.
Thank you. That was my follow up question since both Archelaus and Antipas were Herod's sons. There must have been a reputation of Archelaus for Joseph to want to be under Antipas instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back