Votes: 9 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 8.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prufrock

Arbitrary Moderation
Given all the recent discussions of public- and home-schooling, I'm interested in the breakdown of where you went to school (NOT where you send your kids).

Please do not debate the issue here. It is simply an informative poll.

Parochial school pre-school through 1st grade then public school all the way, including undergrad and grad.

Public school for everything except some classes from the local seminary: K-12, undergrad years in Humanities, Music, and Physics, B.S. in Soil Chemistry, Grad School in Agronomy, J.D., LL.M.

But I have to say that the most important stuff I learned was either taught to me by my parents or through self-study. School was just a set of hurdles placed before me to keep me from getting into trouble. ;)

Given all the recent discussions of public- and home-schooling, I'm interested in the breakdown of where you went to school (NOT where you send your kids).

Please do not debate the issue here. It is simply an informative poll.

Good idea.
I was wondering the same thing for a while.

Private (Catholic) school K-6
Public 7-12
Public University (SUNY Buffalo)
Private Grad school (UChicago for MA)
Public Law School (Michigan)
Private Seminary (RTS)

It would be interesting to see the poll reconfigured to take in to account the age of the respondents.

My guess is that everyone older than 35 pretty much went to public or private schools. Prior to the 1980's you were a real radical if you homeschooled. Home schooling didn't really begin to come into its own until about 35-40 years ago.

Cornelius Van Til, by the way, was a big supporter of private Christian schools.

Public elementary, jr high and high school (Oak Harbor HS, WA, '87)
Private college, BA (Whitman College '91)
Private university, PhD (Northwestern University '97)

Public schools K-12, Cranford High School (Cranford, NJ) '64.
Kean University (Union, NJ), BA-Math, '68.

I had to choose other because I went to catholic school 1-4, public school 5-8, and 2 different private (non-religious) schools 9-12. I was a bad character, and nobody wanted me.

K-1 private
2-12 public
private (christian) college
private (Romanist) graduate school

Last edited:
All of the above:

Pre-6th -- local Christian school
7-10 -- homeschooled (Got my equivalency certificate and gave up on high school as soon as it was legal)
Post-secondary -- A.A. from the local JC and my A.B. from the University of California (graduated in '06)

I am 34, I went to publik Skool. I made the Dean's List and didn't even try because the standards were so low and I skipped about 10% of my year and only went consistently during football and wrestling season (which was 2/3rd of the year I guess).

I am 34, I went to publik Skool. I made the Dean's List and didn't even try because the standards were so low and I skipped about 10% of my year and only went consistently during football and wrestling season (which was 2/3rd of the year I guess).

Similar story here at a Christian high school. We didn't have practices or games on Wednesdays so that folks could go to church. You could only practice or play games if you went to school on that day.

So, it became an assumed thing in my class that I would not be there on Wednesdays, because there was no reason for me to go. It got to the point my teachers would actually reschedule tests away from Wednesdays, because they knew I would not be there :lol:

One time, a teacher greeted me in class with a "What are you doing here?! Glad to have you" sort of sarcasm. It was Tuesday, but she thought it was Wednesday :)

There's no way I should've been able to get away with any of the stuff I did (or, rather, did not do - like homework, papers, and reading assignments). I graduated with a 4.0, having never read a single fiction book or short story (honestly), and never really doing any homework other than math, because she was the only teacher who kept me accountable for it.

It only got worse in college. Friends would jokingly ask how many times I planned to go to a particular class. My only answer: "How many tests are there?"

Anglican school k-2
government school 3-5
Methodist school 6
Baptist school 7-10
different Methodist school 11-12

government universities for 5 years.

Amazingly enough, the government school was about the best of the five. The Baptist school had some very intelligent students, and the second Methodist school had very good resources. Both those two had fairly good teachers. But each also had some major problems, especially with arrogance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back