Who will win the Euro Cup 2008? Plus church melodies...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolaGratia

Puritan Board Junior
Who will win the Euro Cup for 2008?

I predict Spain (Espana) will win it; they have done a great developing their team since before the last World Cup.

Now regarding church melodies, I was watching ESPN (Europe) and I saw an advertised commercial of the the Euro Cup. Turns out, while the commercial was playing they had a melody going on in the background that we used in church to sing hymns/psalms. I was like wow! They are playing one of our church tunes. I did not know that FIFA was Reformed?

Here is a picture of David Healy after scoring the winner against Spain.

_42058106_healy3416.jpg

Well I don't know who will win but I will be cheering for the Netherlands.

In their last game Spain beat England John F. Molinaro | Soccer Analysis - CBC Sports Online

And

Madrid - The Spanish media and football clubs are very worried about the country's young footballers being tempted away to England. In the past month there have been several television and newspaper features about young players having being lured away from Spain by English clubs.

And the Spaniards are really concerned that what started as a trickle a few years ago might soon turn into a flood.

The first young "futbolista" to be lured away to England was Cesc Fabregas, tempted out of Barcelona's youth team by Arsenal in 2003 when just 15.

Barca were furious to lose Fabregas - who has since blossomed into one of the most influential midfielders in European football - but there was nothing they could to prevent his departure, since Spanish law prevents clubs from offering professional contracts to youngsters before the age of 16.

Two years later the Arsenal scouts, under the orders of coach Arsene Wenger, returned to Barcelona to lure away another 15 year-old playmaker, Fran Merida.

This time Barca brought a civil lawsuit against Arsenal in a Barcelona court, which has ruled that the Londoners will have to pay the Catalan giants 3.2 million euros (4.67 million dollars) as compensation for Merida.

However, it doesn't look like the Merida ruling will stop Arsenal and other English clubs from "poaching" in Spain.

According to sports daily AS on Friday, Arsenal's latest Spanish target is 18 year-old striker Daniel Parejo, currently playing for Real Madrid's third division nursery side Castilla.

Perejo came to prominence by scoring the winning goal in last summer's European Under-19 championship in Austria.

Liverpool are following in Arsenal's footsteps. They now have no less than six young Spaniards in their youth teams - lured away from Barcelona, Sevilla, Athletic Bilbao, Real Madrid, Lleida and Sevilla - and have brought in Spanish coach Angel Vales to make them feel at home.

Forwards Daniel Pacheco and Gerard Bruna are Liverpool's most promising young Spaniards.

The Liverpool first-team, of course, is coached by Spaniard Rafa Benitez, who has bolstered his side with Spaniards since joining from Valencia in 2004.

Pablo Blanco, director of the youth programme at UEFA Cup holders Sevilla, told AS on Friday that "this is a very frustrating situation."

Alfredo Relano, editor of AS, suggests on Friday, in a concerned editorial piece, that the problem is that "we prefer to buy players rather than make them" and that so many Spanish youngsters head for England because they know they will be given more of a chance there.

AS has always been critical of Spanish clubs for not giving enough opportunities to their local youngsters.

Relano finishes his editorial hoping for a "change of mentality" in Spain, with the clubs starting to take as much care of their youngsters as they do in England.

Taken from: Spanish media worried about young players going to England - Feature : Sports

Why does everyone want Spain to win? Just curious. :scratch:

Spain will never win, they are the ultimate bottlers, its a lesson of history.

Why then do the Spaniards dominate the English League (both Players and Coaches)? This has nothing to do with the Spanish Armada.

The Spaniards are great footballers and coaches, they get good individual results but put them in a tournement and they will disappoint. Every tournement that I can remember has seen Spain being fancied and it always ends in tears.

Why then do the Spaniards dominate the English League (both Players and Coaches)? This has nothing to do with the Spanish Armada.

The Spaniards are great footballers and coaches, they get good individual results but put them in a tournement and they will disappoint. Every tournement that I can remember has seen Spain being fancied and it always ends in tears.

Yet, the English stilled preffered them, why, I just don't understand.

I'm nothing more than a casual fan of the sport. But I've always tended to cheer for the Netherlands too. They typically have an offensive minded style of play, and you gotta like the orange uniforms too.

I'm nothing more than a casual fan of the sport. But I've always tended to cheer for the Netherlands too. They typically have an offensive minded style of play, and you gotta like the orange uniforms too.

They tore the opposition apart in the first round (Italy and France included), but Russia have started to put up a fight in the quarter final which has just started.

I watching right now, Ned. vs. Russia. The game is 0-0, about twenty minutes to go in the first half and what a game it is turning out to be.

By the way I'm going for the Orange Force.

Live at ABC station directly from Basel, Switzerland.

Last edited:

They tore the opposition apart in the first round (Italy and France included), but Russia have started to put up a fight in the quarter final which has just started.

Russia has torn the Dutch apart here in the OT period.

Well that shows what I know, it may still end in tears but a finals appeareance can hardly be seen as a dissapointment.

Spain 3 vs. Russia 0 (06/26/08 Thursday)

Final will be: Germany vs. Spain (06/29/08 Lords Day)

One more to go!

Prior to the tournament starting I predicted a Holland v Croatia final with the Dutch winning. Now that the final is Spain v Germany I hope the Spanish win but feel that the dull boring methodical Germans will win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back