Who will win the World Series this year?

Who will win the 2009 World Series?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael

Puritan Board Senior
The Fall air is nipping at us and it's time to set our picks down on the table. Let's keep the wild card whining down to a dull roar please (hey, I'm a Braves fan for what it's worth). We all know who is going to be in the mix. Make your picks like men.

-----Added 9/18/2009 at 12:17:16 EST-----

I'll go on record first:

Torre and the Dodgers get it done! Yep, you heard it here in mid-September...

What no Cubs?

Hmmm. Seven games back on September 18th? I think my Bravos have a better chance at making the cut, let alone the Giants.

Time to pony up and get on board with someone in the hunt! :smug:

-----Added 9/18/2009 at 12:32:50 EST-----

What no Cubs?
Cardinals...what did you expect me to say?

Shocked, Ivan. Just shocked. Cardinals...seriously?!?!?

Well, I guess you do have Bob Gibson. He's pretty good. ;)

What no Cubs?

Hmmm. Seven games back on September 18th? I think my Bravos have a better chance at making the cut, let alone the Giants.

Time to pony up and get on board with someone in the hunt! :smug:

-----Added 9/18/2009 at 12:32:50 EST-----

What no Cubs?
Cardinals...what did you expect me to say?

Shocked, Ivan. Just shocked. Cardinals...seriously?!?!?

Well, I guess you do have Bob Gibson. He's pretty good. ;)

If we had Bob Gibson in his prime it would be OVER!

Funny story about Bob Gibson. I can't remember the name of the pitching coach for the Cardinals but he had just taken the job when Bob Gibson was in his prime. The pitching coach came up to Gibson out on the mound one day during Spring training and said he had a few suggestions to help Gibson with his pitching.

Gibson said, "Never speak to me again." :lol: Love it!

-----Added 9/18/2009 at 12:38:47 EST-----

Seven games out? It's nine. The Cardinals magic number is eight.

The wild card, my friend. You are so old school! :lol:

What's a wild card?!

Yeah, I hate all that stuff. When I started following baseball there were 16 teams...16! Didn't need no stinkin' wild card!

Funny story about Bob Gibson. I can't remember the name of the pitching coach for the Cardinals but he had just taken the job when Bob Gibson was in his prime. The pitching coach came up to Gibson out on the mound one day during Spring training and said he had a few suggestions to help Gibson with his pitching.

That's just awesome!

There are a lot of good teams out there this season. It's going to be a great playoff and Series.

A 'Freeway Series' here in LA would be great.

I think it is a real possibility. Angel's starting pitching is rounding into form, and now with Kazmir is best in the Bigs. Red Sox are vulnerable and the Angels own the Yankees anyway.

The Dodgers have scuffled lately but are a young team and will be strong in the postseason. The Cardinals look good on paper but they are in a weak division.

That's just awesome!

Gibson was a fierce competitor out on the field. Nothing frighten him. NOTHING! Some batters would just melt when they went up against him.

Gee, can you tell I'm a fan?!

-----Added 9/18/2009 at 12:43:29 EST-----

the cardinals look good on paper but they are in a weak division.

pujols

Gee, can you tell I'm a fan?!

Just a little.

BTW, I see that some folks have voted for the Yankees. That was a test of your sanctification. THIS IS THE PURITANBOARD PEOPLE! You DON'T vote for the EVIL EMPIRE!!!

BTW, I see that some folks have voted for the Yankees. That was a test of your sanctification. THIS IS THE PURITANBOARD PEOPLE! You DON'T vote for the EVIL EMPIRE!!!

No kidding. I grew up hating the Yankees...haven't changed.

-----Added 9/18/2009 at 12:48:04 EST-----

It's all about who gets hot at the right time. If all the pieces fall into place, the Cardinals will be unbeatable. If they don't fall into place, game over.

It's all about who gets hot at the right time.

That is so true. These teams play 162 games but it's really about staying near the top of the pack and peaking in September/October. Last year the Braves won something like 21 out of their last 25 (could be off by a few) in the regular season--and missed the playoffs. Take that and compare to a team like the Marlins, who won two World Series within a decade because they were in the right place at the right time. It's all about when you get hot.

Too bad for you East coasters, it looks like its going to be a 'Freeway Series' this year with the Angels beating the Dodgers in 6.

I like Joe Torre and I like Larry Bowa, and I wish them all the best; but not in this year's NLCS.

Phillies in 6, Yankees in 5. Then the World Series; it should be a good contest.

yankees.jpg

Yankees!!! Go CC

Man, what a series... If it weren't for CC, the Angels would have clinched tonight. Now they will have get through CC one more time in game 7. There is an 80% chance of rain on Sat. If Sat is rained out, Lackey might be back for game 7.

Yankees!!! Go CC

Man, what a series... If it weren't for CC, the Angels would have clinched tonight. Now they will have get through CC one more time in game 7. There is an 80% chance of rain on Sat. If Sat is rained out, Lackey might be back for game 7.

CC is the only starting pitcher in this series with a win. The Yanks broke the bank for CC and he sure is paying off. I can't see continuing his dominance with only 3 days rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back