Who Would You Like to Have Lunch With?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
If I could sit down and have lunch with one person who is no longer with us, it would probably be G. K. Chesterton.

Well this is difficult, isn't it? Overall I would probably go with my great-grandfather who came to Virginia from Wales. Other choices for me would include St. Augustine, John Calvin, John C. Calhoun, Stonewall Jackson and a few others.

You ever meet a famous person and you're excited to meet them but they couldn't care less about meeting you? That's how I imagine meeting Calvin or Augustine. Plus Augustine would probably think us all heretics. And my spoken Latin isn't that good. Better to have lunch with my pastor methinks. Joel Beeke would also be neat.

You ever meet a famous person and you're excited to meet them but they couldn't care less about meeting you? That's how I imagine meeting Calvin or Augustine. Plus Augustine would probably think us all heretics. And my spoken Latin isn't that good. Better to have lunch with my pastor methinks. Joel Beeke would also be neat.
When I listed Calvin and Augustine it was on the assumption I could verbally communicate with them. I don't see why Augustine might find some of us heretics. Perhaps the time and culture gap is too much for a meaningful conversation. I imagine a conversation with Calvin would be pleasant, however.

I don't see why Augustine might find some of us heretics.
Well, he found donatism to be a heresy worth coercion by the civil magistrate (ep. 100), and their central teachings touching the sacraments were no more extreme than today's baptists. So credobaptism would probably attract his censure, and it's quite possible that denial of baptismal regeneration, reformed or zwinglian views of the eucharist, differing views of penance, the efficacy of works for salvation, and justification would too.

Assuming it's someone who's been in heaven since they passed and it was possible to meet with them somehow, I'd say John Gerstner or Jonathan Edwards, since I've published so many of their books.

The brothers and sisters on this board, so I could grill them with questions. :)

My pastor down in TX.

Brothers and sisters in the Far East.

The question is, where are we going to eat? Their place or mine? I am not sure I want to eat at some dirty tavern in Reformation England.

Our Lord Jesus Christ, The Apostle John, Noah, Adam, Enoch, Elijah, Elisha, Ezra, The Apostle James, The Apostle Paul, Charles Spurgeon or John Owen, in that order.

Hot wings, fried cheese curds & beer with Melchizedek. Finishing the evening with some good ole toby and more conversation.

This is a little morbid but maybe interesting non-elect persons should be considered because after death we’ll all be able to talk with the saints.

Any one of these 3 ancestors (all of which I do hope to see in heaven):

-Ambroise Sicard, a French Huguenot who fled France and was an early settler of New Rochelle NY.
-Jans Dirck Woertman, a Dutch (Reformed) guy who operated the Brooklyn Ferry (whose daughter married Ambroise's son).
-Andrew Irvine, a 'crofter' who came to Canada with his young family from the tiny island of Fair Isle Scotland in 1862.

If we're being a little realistic, C.S. Lewis is the clear front-runner. He was hospitable and not intimidating, ate lots of lunches, was tolerant of idiosyncrasy, and spoke English.

This is a little morbid but maybe interesting non-elect persons should be considered because after death we’ll all be able to talk with the saints.
I changed my answer. I now want to eat lunch with the rich man from Luke 16. But I am not sure if I can offer him a drink of cold water or not.

I like the miraculous converts. Peter, Paul, Mary Magdalene, Augustine, John Bunyan, John Newton....

Obviously, Jesus Our Lord and King.

CS Lewis, RC Sproul, Johnny Cash, Francis Schaeffer, Duane Spencer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back