Who wrote the Psalms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JM

Puritan Board Doctor
I read that Adam, Malki Zedek, Abraham, Moses, Heiman, Jeduthun, Asaph, and the three sons of Korach along with David wrote the Psalm, the Eastern Orthodox believe Moses, David and Temple musicians.

Who wrote the Psalms?

Gill :
The Jews make mention of ten, which are differently reckoned by them. According to Jarchi (d), they were Adam, Melchizedek, Abraham, Moses, David, Solomon, Asaph, and the three sons of Korah. According to Kimchi (e), they were Adam, the first, Melchizedek, Abraham, Asaph, Heman, Jeduthun, Moses, and the three sons of Korah; Asir, Elkanah, and Abiasaph. Some ascribe all the Psalms to David (f), and think that those which are said to be a psalm of Asaph, or of Heman, &c. should be rendered "a psalm to Asaph", &c. and only signify that they were psalms delivered to them, to be sung in a public manner.​

Great question; which raises other questions. I remembered profitting from E.J. Young's chapter: "The Psalms" from An Intro. to the O.T.. I reviewed it and once again appreciated his comments on the titles and authorship. Check it out.

If there is a name attached to a psalm, that's the person who wrote the psalm, including group names, like the "sons of Korah" (meaning the family from which a particular psalm arose). Psalms with no name attached are anonymous. And the anonymous psalms should be left that way. God has chosen not to reveal the authors of those psalms, so it's useless to guess, or even to assign someone to those psalms.

We had a guest preacher a week ago who preached from Psalm 119 (which I appreciated), but he kept referring to David as that psalm's author (which I thought was annoying).

If there is a name attached to a psalm, that's the person who wrote the psalm, including group names, like the "sons of Korah" (meaning the family from which a particular psalm arose).

Psalms 39, 62, and 77 demonstrate otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back