Whole Bean Coffees

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredtgreco

Vanilla Westminsterian
Staff member
I am curious about whole bean coffee recommendations. We had been using Starbucks (House Blend) in our office, but have decided to move away from it because Starbucks has become so vocal in its support for same-sex "marriage." I've looked around some, but I would like to hear from PB members about which coffees they find good. A couple of parameters:
  • No flavored coffees
  • No decaf coffees
  • Whole bean strongly preferred
  • Obtainable on Amazon (esp Prime) is a huge plus
  • Please don't tell me to get Folgers, Maxwell House, or the like
  • The coffee is made in our Bunn commercial drip maker. Please don't tell me to use a French Press or any other device. I'm not going to, no matter how good you say it is.
Ok- have at it!

Check out what's offered at Sam's Club. They sell a limited offering of Starbucks, but they have other brands as well.
I usually buy the French Roast sold under their in-house Members Mark label (dark red bag).

Mark:

That site looks interesting. Can't tell exactly, but it looks like they don't charge for shipping, at least on smaller orders? Is that right?

From Sam's Club: Buck's County Coffee- French Roast-Whole Bean
Trader Joe's: Sumatra - Whole Bean

I combine the two for a yummy house blend.

believe it or not, Goya has some great quality coffee. it is about half the price of starbucks and is every bit as good. i am not sure if the have whole bean though. i think Peets coffee is very good too

If you want good and cheap, go with Eight O'clock coffee. However, I second Rich's Trader Joe's recommendation above. World Market has some good coffees as well (and I would recommend most African coffees), but they tend to be pricey. However, they have a frequent buyer program that rewards you with a free bag of coffee for every half dozen or so you purchase.

I quit going to Starbucks, too. It's Peet's if I want a coffee treat, now. While I don't expect godly perfection from any company, Starbucks is actively advocating and petitioning the federal government officially to promote homosexual "marriage." So they have lost my business. It is a small thing, but many drops of water fill the ocean.

Eight O' Clock Columbian, constantly rated at the top by Consumer Reports. $13.99 for 32oz at Walmart up here.

Dunkin' Donuts Whole Bean. 2 lbs. for $12.99-$13.99 up here.

Both great and cost-effective. Eight O'Clock a bit smoother, DD a bit more bold.

Last edited:
Arabica only and a medium roast if I can find it in my favorite beans, otherwise I'll switch over to the dark.

We're fond of Sumatra beans (and it actually shows up in Costco every once in a while). There are several varieties, but that doesn't usually come into play unless you're buying green beans to roast. Generally, we've enjoyed the Indonesian types, but have found South American coffee to be to highly acidic. My husband loves the African coffees, but I generally find them to be bitter. It's all a matter of personal taste.

There's a movement afoot to encourage blond coffee beans -- ones that have been barely roasted. I haven't tried it yet.

Last edited:
Can't get it on Amazon, but I would say the best coffee is from Stumptown roasters in Portland. It is the best coffee that I have had in the states. Very good.

I like Eight O'clock coffee too. I don't buy it, it's too expensive for me. I just buy whatever is on sale. I guess that puts me with Jessi. I'm no coffee snob. I'll drink just about any kind.

When we have to do a quick pickup from the store we tend to go with old standby's like Dunkin Donuts or Community whole bean. We use a Bunn also (and are proud coffee snobs) and it makes a decent cup.

There are two indy roasters that are really good. The first is done by a landscaping company in Boring, Oregon (no kidding). Sounds odd I know, but they roast great coffee! Here's their website.

The other is from California and they do an excellent job. They're call Kean Coffee. Here's their website.

Hope the search goes well.

Ah, all this reminds me of my days as student body treasurer at Erskine Seminary (back around 2003). Basically, the treasurer was responsible for one thing: collecting the money out of the jar in the student lounge and making sure that coffee supplies were purchased with it. We only had one store in Due West, SC -- a Dollar General. I would walk there when I didn't have have a class and buy the best coffee available: Maxwell House (which is pure garbage). We also had a Bunn coffee maker, and I had the hardest time finding filters for it. Finally found them at a Staples (but not in Due West!).

I'm not a coffee snob (I'll drink anything on offer as long as it's not instant and brewed), but I'll echo the 8 o'Clock recommendation.

I'd also recommend finding out whether there's a local roaster who you could buy from. Sometimes for a treat, I'll buy a bag of whole bean from one of the local shops (of course, the Chattanooga area has a nice friendly rivalry between local roasters that makes the coffee lovers in the area very happy).

When I had the money to be a coffee snob-lite, my preferences were for whole bean from Costco or Dunkin Donuts (note the "lite" before laughing too hard). For the rest of us, there are a couple of "Gourmet Blends" of the may not be mentioned here coffees that taste amazingly good and at a bargain price.

If you want something for the office, Fred, why not Dunkin Donuts beans?

Wow! Stumptown looks great! I may have to get some for a special occasion!

It is my favorite coffee hands down. Every variety that I've had I have found to be outstanding. I get baskets of it for gifts (birthday, etc.) from people who know I like it. It is the best coffee I have ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back