Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis Fentiman

Puritan Board Sophomore
Here is every major whole Bible commentary in Latin through Church history (which has survived, is commonly referenced in the secondary literature and is on the net): 38 total, including those of the puritans. The titles are translated into English.

If you have not begun learning Latin yet, start, and in 3 years you will be able to dip into some of the greatest treasure Christ has gifted the Church.

I hope this resource may be a blessing to you.

Travis, a very helpful collection. You might wish to remove the Junius, Tremellius, and Beza, as that is not a commentary, but a translation.

There are editions that have the notes of Junius, Tremellius, and Beza, but there are those that don't. The London edition in 6 volumes if I recall is a good full edition. Here is my note in Bownd's True Doctrine of the Sabbath, p. 43-44.
22. Tremellius, Junius. [On Exodus 16:30. Immanuel Tremellius, Testamenti Veteris BibliaSacra, Sive, Libri Canonici (1593) 1.71; cf. Biblia sacra: Vet. Testamenti sive libri canonici (1602) 83. Junius, Opera, “Libri II. Mosis, qui Exodus,” v. 1 (1607; 1613) 300. This first work is the Latin Bible produced by Tremellius and Junius, of whom the latter subsequently oversaw three revisions. Bownd makes heavy use of both authors in his second edition, and is clearly aware of the revisions through at least that of 1596 (see the note on page 160). “The first edition of the Old Testament was published by Andreas Wechel in Frankfurt am Main in five volumes, which appeared between 1575 and 1579…. The Old Testament was almost immediately reprinted in London in 1579 to 1580, with Tremellius’ Latin rendering of the New Testament constituting a sixth part. Thereafter, Tremellius’ and Junius’ Old Testament went through a significant number of reprintings in locations throughout Europe, including Frankfurt, London, Geneva, Hanau and Amsterdam. Following Tremellius’ death, Junius made sufficient revisions to the text and additions to the annotations to merit releasing them as revised editions. Thus a ‘second version’ appeared in 1590, a ‘third’ in 1596 and a ‘fourth’ in 1603. With the exception of the original Frankfurt edition, every edition included a version of the New Testament. The first London edition, which used Tremellius’ translation from Syriac, was exceptional; every subsequent edition had Beza’s translation from the Greek and Tremellius’ translation from the Syriac printed together in parallel columns, or else joined Tremellius’ Old Testament with Beza’s New Testament.” Kenneth Austin, From Judaism to Calvinism: the life and writings of Immanuel Tremellius (c. 1510–1580). St. Andrews Studies in Reformation History (Aldershot, Hants, England ; Burlington, VT: Ashgate Pub, 2007) 147, 179.]

While not a commentary, one day, the Lord willing, you may be able to post my translation of Beza's four volumes of Tractationes Theologicae. I am into year three of my off and on efforts.

Lane, thank you for the corrective suggestion. One's mind starts spinning after trying to collect these books for long enough, so I am not surprised I made a mistake.

Chris, thank you much for the very helpful info. I was able to find all the volumes of the London edition with commentary, and put them on the page.

Patrick, I would be glad to put up translations from Beza on the site. There is no need to wait till all four volumes are completed. Anything from Beza would be valuable. Message me with what you have and lets talk.

Also, I was able to find a number of works (linked on the webpage) which are not on PRDL. There is a fair amount that PRDL does not have (probably because they did most of their searching in years past). When I complete some more, I will send over my collections to them if they want to add works from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back