Whosoever beareth not his cross, cannot be my disciple—James Durham Sermon 44.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
Durham-Takeupyourcross.jpg
There are four very considerable things in the words [Matthew 16:24]. I. The great work and business that all Christ’s disciples and believers in Him are called to, which is to come after Him and to follow Him. {Christ says,} If any man will come after me ... and follow me. II. The great let [hindrance] and obstruction that lies in the way of ready, resolute and cheerful following of Christ; and that is a man’s own self, or selfishness, which if it be not removed, laid by and overcome in some measure, he cannot come after Christ, nor follow Him. Let him deny himself, and follow me. III. The great duty that lies on all the followers of Christ, or that whereby they are fitted and helped to follow Him; viz., right bearing of the cross. Let him take up his cross and follow me. IV. There is the great necessity of this doctrine. Let him deny himself, and take up his cross. Luke has it (Luke 14:27), “Whosoever beareth not his cross, cannot be my disciple.” It must be; it is indispensably necessary.
Collected Sermons of James Durham: 61 Sermons (Naphtali Press and Reformation Heritage Books, 2017), Sermon 44, p. 655–656.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back