Why a New Presbyterian Denomination?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't think these folks have a clue what to reform "to" if the BoC or something "new" is what's on the table instead of returning to the historic Presbyterian standards of the Westminster Confession and catechisms. This all strikes me as polishing the brass on a sinking ship. The abomination has desolated. Long time to have gotten out. And why not; for property? This ignores the Disruption which is more the level of sacrifice these folks should of been thinking about, oh, as far back as when Machen left. Color me unsympathetic.

3.1.2 Confessions: Either a renewed commitment to the Book of Confessions, or a new confessional document.

Last edited:
The PC(USA) Book of Confessions does include the Westminster Standards. Of course, it also includes documents that contradict the WS (e.g., the abysmal Confession of 1967). It does contain many things of orthodoxy (The Apostles' and Nicene Creeds -- though interestingly not the Chalcedonian Creed :scratch: -- as well as the Scots Confession, Second Helvetic Confession, and Heidelberg Catehchism). But there is no real "confessionalism" as such. If there were, it would instantly be recognized that the Westminster Larger Catechism, for instance, prohibits the recent homosexual resolution passed by presbyteries (as I have written about elsewhere).

So what good would another confession do? It's not like what is already on paper is taken with any seriousness. I'm sure that's not true of all the folks in the PC(USA), but the problem at this point is systemic. And it's not confined to the PC(USA) alone. The glee and relative ease with which ministers may take "exceptions" or voice "scruples" in other denominations is only asking for trouble, in my opinion. A lack of consistent confessionalism kills denominations. The rest of us should sit up and take notice. :2cents:

I have often wondered why the "Theological Declaration of Barmen," for instance, is in the BOC. Other than, "we don't like Nazi's, either."

Last edited:
Correct; expanding the smogisborge amounted to a gutting of any kind of subscription and adherence to the historic Presbyterian standards. That was the point I expect.
The PC(USA) Book of Confessions does include the Westminster Standards. Of course, it also includes documents that contradict the WS (e.g., the abysmal Confession of 1967). It does contain many things of orthodoxy (The Apostles' and Nicene Creeds -- though interestingly not the Chalcedonian Creed -- as well as the Scots Confession, Second Helvetic Confession, and Heidelberg Catehchism). But there is no real "confessionalism" as such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back