Why are Reformed churches the minority?

• Thread starter Deleted member 7239
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
In fairness to the theme of the thread, any extensive answer will take us off course so I will give you a few examples:

Israel (under Hezekiah & Josiah) Babylon (Daniel 3:29) & Persia (Daniel 6:26) to start. Furthermore, Reformation Geneva & Scotland.

Ok thanks. At least I know now where your head is at. I haven’t actually encountered a person who has made the case for governments addressing heresy. I assumed that was more of a fantasy situation that won’t take place until Christ returns.

Ok thanks. At least I know now where your head is at. I haven’t actually encountered a person who has made the case for governments addressing heresy. I assumed that was more of a fantasy situation that won’t take place until Christ returns.

Fair enough. Yet even if it is a fantasy situation, I think the historical consequences of rejecting this principle are rather clear.

As an aside, this is one of the best if not the best resources on that subject:

http://www.covenanter.org/reformed/...the-difference?rq=statement of the difference

I think it was in a letter toward the end of Rutherford's Letters (I have referenced it here before), and toward the end of his life, where he speaks of God's judgment coming on them because of how Christians fought with and persecuted each other.

We might with Rutherford cite such failures, and judgment on them, as one of the causes for the ensuing state of things.

I think it was in a letter toward the end of Rutherford's Letters (I have referenced it here before), and toward the end of his life, where he speaks of God's judgment coming on them because of how Christians fought with and persecuted each other.

We might with Rutherford cite such failures, and judgment on them, as one of the causes for the ensuing state of things.

Can you explain how this relates to this thread?

Jesse, I understood others to be citing the dissolution of for instance, Scotland's covenanting government as a reason why other churches have become larger than the reformed. I was pointing out that the persecution of fellow Christians and wars between Christians involved in that attempt had something to do with the church history that flowed from that situation as well.

At least in America, after the First American Revolution, other denoms, like Methodists and Baptists, could easily spread on the frontier. We, however, demanded a high price: you must be educated. We simply couldn't keep up.

At least in America, after the First American Revolution, other denoms, like Methodists and Baptists, could easily spread on the frontier. We, however, demanded a high price: you must be educated. We simply couldn't keep up.

If that was true then how is it not true now? Is that the reason for the white middle class population of p&r churches?

Presbyterians required an educated ministry which hampered their pace following the Methodists, Baptists, etc. westward.

If that was true then how is it not true now? Is that the reason for the white middle class population of p&r churches?

To some extent it is true, but now there are more variables in play (suburban culture, online schools, debt, being called to ministry in one's forties, etc)

I think you are missing the point. Strike the word Lifechurch from the record and replace it with any example you like.

Okay. Done.

I would have issues with any church that refuses to preach the Gospel and associates with actual, literal heretics. I would hope you would, too. Again, if you have no problems with Life.Church any church that associates themselves with heretics, then I implore you to stop and examine yourself.

As I said before, there's always something to learn from other churches large or small. However, you yourself, Jesse, need to be grounded and discerning about these other churches (even from your own denomination!) and test everything to see if it is good.

David,

My response was to a Presbyterian, wherein the use of altar calls is not something ordinarily practiced as it is not an element commanded per the RPW. The history of altar calls is linked with Finney's revivalism anxious seat practices, wherein bringing a person to some emotional crisis was the normative practice. I find nothing commendable about the current altar call practices. You want to ask persons to make themselves known by coming to the rear of the church and speak with an elder or some mature believer, or meet with the Pastor on Monday morning? Fine. Do so.
Forgive me, as I was attempting to make a joke on this, as in 500 coming forward, but do agree with you on the fact that it is much better to have those in this situation to come forward and to speak to a Pastor, Elder, or in our church, one of us trained on the pastoral prayer team to answer their questions .

What does this mean, in a confessionally Reformed context? Again (as I've said similar things to you several times), do you see that your language reveals an affinity, not for biblical theology, but for revivalist jargon?
I did not articulate my posting in a proper fashion, as was trying to state that the Finney method generates the 500 to come forward, but God only knows how many of them actually were converted at that time.

Forgive me, as I was attempting to make a joke on this, as in 500 coming forward, but do agree with you on the fact that it is much better to have those in this situation to come forward and to speak to a Pastor, Elder, or in our church, one of us trained on the pastoral prayer team to answer their questions .
I see. A smilie ;) would have helped convey that joke, David.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back