Why are so many Christians more interested in politics than evangelism?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thistle93

Puritan Board Freshman
Hi! Why do you think it is that many who claim to be Christians seem to be more concerned and excited about getting a particular politician in office or getting abortion outlawed (I am all for voting and fighting against abortion) than proclaiming the saving message of Jesus Christ to those who are lost? Seems people are willing to be scorned for their political and moral belief's but not so much for sharing their faith in Jesus Christ. I know there are many Christians who do both politics and evangelism rightly but their does seem to be a large group in America who think if we can just get certain politicians in and change laws then peoples hearts will be changed and people will then be saved. Whereas I see it we need to be be telling people about the wrath and love of God first so that He will change their hearts and then laws will be changed as people are changed. I am not a postmillenalists (I lean towards amill) so I do not see the world getting any better but worse though under God's sovereign hand and within His time table. Not that we should not be doing our part as Christians to influence the culture but the commission we have been given is to spread the Gospel not a political party or moral laws (as good as they may be). It is not an either/or issue but I do think the Gospel needs to take priority. Just curious your thoughts given the season we are in.

Any books you know of that address this issue rightly?

Thanks!

For His Glory-
Matthew

Well, you'd have to give a concrete example or two of folks championing the one while neglecting the other, otherwise, aren't you being a bit, well, possibly, presumptuous? Are you talking about some specific incident you've witnessed?

I enjoy politics but see political activism as a great platform for witnessing. I have often been asked why I support this proposition or oppose that candidate, and I freely share that I am a Christian and try to apply scripture to my political ideals. Further, as to motivation, I talk about Jesus telling us to love one another, and to do unto others as I would have done unto me.

For instance I may be challenged, hey, if you don't like abortions, don't have one. I respond that I won't, but I feel compelled to do something when innocent children are being aborted, because I love them. Also, if I were in the womb, I'd like someone advocating for my life.

So I don't see the two areas (politics and evangelism) as rivals, but as parts of a whole and living faith. Since I enjoy politics, I participate more than "normal," but suppose I enjoyed boating, or gardening, or soup kitchen work. Presumably I'd use these situations and relationships as platforms for evangelism, as well.

Miss Marple
So I don't see the two areas (politics and evangelism) as rivals, but as parts of a whole and living faith.

Two kingdoms, or rather two co-ordinate spheres of the one Kingdom.

Matthew
It is not an either/or issue but I do think the Gospel needs to take priority.

The Great Commission overlays the Cultural Mandate. The Gospel message does need to take priority, but some Christians may be called to more work in the political sphere. But we always need to ask ourselves are we neglecting evangelism, because it can be very easy to get discouraged in evangelism and turn to other aspects of Christian work.

Matthew, a few thoughts below.

Hi! Why do you think it is that many who claim to be Christians seem to be more concerned and excited about getting a particular politician in office or getting abortion outlawed (I am all for voting and fighting against abortion) than proclaiming the saving message of Jesus Christ to those who are lost?

While that is often said, I'm not seeing that happen. It's more like the evangelical churches here in the USA are confused, and not united on the clear biblical moral issues like you mention. They were more so thirty years ago. In the meantime, it does not seem the spirituality of the church has clarified and improved either- again very broadly speaking. The spirituality of the church would include preaching and discipling by the gospel.

For example why has the annual march for life on the Roe v. Wade anniversary dwindled? Why is there no unambiguous pro-life position being articulated as a unifying principle of Christianity?

We had, for example the "Manhattan Declaration," that while appearing to compromise important biblical doctrine, did not result in any real action in opposing the biggest advancement of abortion and euthanasia since Roe v. Wade- the federal "health" care takeover? When the Supreme Court upheld that by one vote it was as big judicial activism to support the evil of abortion as Roe v. Wade.

Why DIDN'T Christians "get involved in politics" over that? What's it going to take?

Why weren't more Christians really involved in politics to oppose that and promote life?

Seems people are willing to be scorned for their political and moral belief's but not so much for sharing their faith in Jesus Christ.

The appearance seems more not willing to suffer or contend for either, compared to thirty years ago. But this is very broad, and anecdotal, and admittedly a very subjective evaluation.

I know there are many Christians who do both politics and evangelism rightly but their does seem to be a large group in America who think if we can just get certain politicians in and change laws then peoples hearts will be changed and people will then be saved. Whereas I see it we need to be be telling people about the wrath and love of God first so that He will change their hearts and then laws will be changed as people are changed.

My understanding is that the church focuses on discipling people toward the Word of God for all of life, and only incidentally speaking out to political institutions when there is a clear biblical moral issue at stake.

I am not a postmillenalists (I lean towards amill) so I do not see the world getting any better but worse though under God's sovereign hand and within His time table. Not that we should not be doing our part as Christians to influence the culture

But in their private capacities, Christians ought be the MOST involved people in spheres like politics, etc.

but the commission we have been given is to spread the Gospel not a political party or moral laws (as good as they may be). It is not an either/or issue but I do think the Gospel needs to take priority. Just curious your thoughts given the season we are in.

Any books you know of that address this issue rightly?

"How then shall we Live? by Francis A. Schaeffer might be helpful. And the classic work, "Lex Rex" by Reverend Samuel Rutherford.

I think the Westminster Confession with the American revisions does an excellent job of summarizing the doctrine of Scripture on the matter.

It's "two kingdoms," but not two radical ones. :)

Thanks!

For His Glory-
Matthew

Seems people are willing to be scorned for their political and moral belief's but not so much for sharing their faith in Jesus Christ. I know there are many Christians who do both politics and evangelism rightly but their does seem to be a large group in America who think if we can just get certain politicians in and change laws then peoples hearts will be changed and people will then be saved. Whereas I see it we need to be be telling people about the wrath and love of God first so that He will change their hearts and then laws will be changed as people are changed.

I have seen the same thing here in Denver, Colo. Evangelism is a direct attack into enemy territory - it is bound to draw enemy fire. My take is that sometimes that fire is in the form of fear on the believer's part. Many believers who I know are terrified to share the gospel. Yet, it is the power of God unto salvation, (Rom. 1:16).

In many cases, when believers participate in political activism, they are surrounded by others who support the same cause. When believers participate in evangelism, they are often not supported by other believers or sometimes, even their church.

It is not to imply that being involved politically is wrong, or that we should not stand for righteousness. But this activity should not replace evangelism.

It is not to imply that being involved politically is wrong, or that we should not stand for righteousness. But this activity should not replace evangelism.

Yes,
The understanding of the right biblical relationship of this, might be described as
The purpose and focus of the church is discipling believers and obeying the Great Commission.
It is not promoting the political solutions of men.
That focus means the church ordinarily abstains from political involvement EXCEPT it can incident to its mission speak to political institutions and to culture about clear biblical issues. In my understanding, this is especially biblical moral issues. For example, the church of Jesus Christ ought speak unambiguously for innocent human life when civil authorities significantly advance its unlawful destruction.
In fact, I would say the church MUST NOT remain silent in the face of it.
That doesn't mean that is its focus. It is not a substitute for the church's priority and ordinary activity, discipling believers (and their children) by the ordinary means of grace God has provided- Word, sacraments and prayer.
And believers ought, in their personal lives be as involved in politics and advancing God's Kingdom (His ways) in that as in all spheres of life.

I Peter 2

9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light;

I think you're mostly right. I don't believe that we are to push for a Christian government. I vote for the person who upholds the Constitution. It doesn't matter if the president is a Christian or not. It also doesn't matter if he outlaws abortion or gay marriage. Ppl are going to practice both with or without a law. The Gospel is the only thing that will change hearts. So we should vote for those who uphold the Constitution and we should spread the Gospel to change hearts.....2k!

I try to keep politics out of witnessing.

The USA has become a Fox news culture of whoever yells the loudest wins....and the church has been too keen to speak of causes and governmental solutions and too little of Christ and Him crucified.

I want people to know me for what I am FOR (Jesus) instead of what I am against (liberalism, gay rights, or whatever political cause you want to write here, no matter how good)....

Here is a quote from John Newton from his letters:

"The whole system of my politics is summed up in this one verse, "The Lord reigns! Let the nations tremble!" Psalm 99:1

The times look awfully dark indeed; and as the clouds grow thicker--the stupidity of the nation seems proportionally to increase. If the Lord had not a remnant here, I would have very formidable apprehensions. But He loves His children; some are sighing and mourning before Him,
and I am sure He hears their sighs, and sees their tears. I trust there is mercy in store for us at the bottom; but I expect a shaking time before things get into a right channel--before we are humbled, and are taught to give Him the glory.

The state of the nation, the state of the churches--both are deplorable! Those who should be praying--are disputing and fighting among themselves! Alas! how many professors are more concerned for the mistakes of government--than for their own sins!"

I try to keep politics out of witnessing.

The USA has become a Fox news culture of whoever yells the loudest wins....and the church has been too keen to speak of causes and governmental solutions and too little of Christ and Him crucified.

I want people to know me for what I am FOR (Jesus) instead of what I am against (liberalism, gay rights, or whatever political cause you want to write here, no matter how good)....

Here is a quote from John Newton from his letters:

"The whole system of my politics is summed up in this one verse, "The Lord reigns! Let the nations tremble!" Psalm 99:1

The times look awfully dark indeed; and as the clouds grow thicker--the stupidity of the nation seems proportionally to increase. If the Lord had not a remnant here, I would have very formidable apprehensions. But He loves His children; some are sighing and mourning before Him,
and I am sure He hears their sighs, and sees their tears. I trust there is mercy in store for us at the bottom; but I expect a shaking time before things get into a right channel--before we are humbled, and are taught to give Him the glory.

The state of the nation, the state of the churches--both are deplorable! Those who should be praying--are disputing and fighting among themselves! Alas! how many professors are more concerned for the mistakes of government--than for their own sins!"

Amen!!! And ty for all that you and your family does in spreading the Gospel !

As for me, I do not have much hope for our political situation here in the United States without reformation and Revival. However, I have civil duties that cause me to be "interested in politics." What I do not have is the ministry of the Word committed to me, so disseminating that Word (the Gospel of the Kingdom), is not only not my duty, but it is not my prerogative.

The great commission is given to ministers (beginning with the Apostles, in context) to preach/disciple and baptize--the ministry of Word and sacrament.

With a correct understanding of the duty of nations to the Lord Jesus Christ, political action toward the ideals of civil recognition of Christ as King is an endeavor that need not be seen as outside the Gospel priority (cf. Matthew 28:19-20). However, a secular approach to politics may be rightly criticized as representing a skewed priority.

"It's our duty to testify to all men that they owe submission to Jesus Christ and His Kingship; it is our duty to testify to all men that there is a King. It is not Caesar, it is not Barack Obama, it is not the Constitution of this United States of America, it is not autonomous reason, it is not self-interest, it is not capitalism, it is not philosophy, it is not academia. It is Jesus Christ, He's the King. And our solemn obligation is to tell all men that there is this King and He requires their submission. "

Pastor John Sawtelle, Sermon on Christ's Mediatorial Kingship. (Source: Facebook page of All Saints Reformed Church, RPCNA)

I hear this charge that there are people who think that by passing laws that people will be saved. I don't really run in any circles like that, does someone have an example of these people?

There are those of us who believe that abortion is wrong because it violates God's Laws and thereby His character. Not everything has to do with saving people, but this has to do with restraining evil and punishing it. Now woe to us if we do not preach the gospel, and particularly in some circles they do not preach much if any of the gospel. And this is dreadful.

But, the Civil Magistrate upholds Gods Laws and punishes evildoers. The Church proclaims the gospel and preaches the Good News. Working hand in hand like this they would be a powerful force for good!

I hear this charge that there are people who think that by passing laws that people will be saved. I don't really run in any circles like that, does someone have an example of these people?

There are those of us who believe that abortion is wrong because it violates God's Laws and thereby His character. Not everything has to do with saving people, but this has to do with restraining evil and punishing it. Now woe to us if we do not preach the gospel, and particularly in some circles they do not preach much if any of the gospel. And this is dreadful.

But, the Civil Magistrate upholds Gods Laws and punishes evildoers. The Church proclaims the gospel and preaches the Good News. Working hand in hand like this they would be a powerful force for good!

Yep they would be a powerful force, but can you honestly say that one day everyone in government will be a Christian working hand in hand with the church? And if they do you then have to decide which denomination they will represent. Seems like an unlikely event.

Mitt Romney can raise millions in a week, but it took us over a year to raise $100k to fund the printing of the Bible in the Tuvan language. Just saying.

I grew up in "mainstream Evangelicalism" (as did some of you!)

Several of the people with which I associated thought that the Christian Coalition was the cat's meow.

But those same people - in their mind - NEVER confused evangelism with political activism. And in NONE of the churches in which I ever stepped foot in which they were "actively interested" in politics did they EVER forego evangelistic outreach because they were too busy doing activism.

I think some folks who have made it popular to criticize evangelicals taking a stand in the public sphere do so because they know that they are at least close enough to the evangelicals to have a hearing.

But in truth... you know which churches are given to political activism at the expense of evangelism? It isn't churches on the "right" of the political spectrum, it's from those on the "left!"

I mean Mainline and to an even greater degree... Black churches.

What is exceptional in evangelical circles is mainstream in these contexts. But we don't really have a hearing there do we? So I guess criticism is viewed as being a waste of time.

Seems like an unlikely event.

Jesus commissioning 12 working class guys from Galilee to change the world as they knew it within their lifetime also seems like an unlikely event, but it happened. With God, all things are possible. The fact that the human mind can see no likely way to accomplish a goal does not place any limitation on Christ and His goal.

Don't want to go off-topic, but I want to qualify my statement before I make it in that I'm all for the outlaw of abortion, but there seems to be a contradiction in that on the one hand Christians don't want the government to meddle with the affairs of the church and on the other hand they do by wanting that same government to outlaw abortion. To me the only solution appears to be a fully instituted Christian Theonomic government. Is it just me or is there an inconsistency among Christians and their presuppositions regarding this?

What troubles me is not that Churches are more concerned with politics than bearing witness to the grace and glory of God, but that individual Christians are more concerned with this election than the state of our own and others' eternal souls. I think is this what our brother was getting at in the OP. To be honest, I think many Christians are in need of rebuke for the amount of hope they have placed in their candidate getting elected.

To be honest, I think many Christians are in need of rebuke for the amount of hope they have placed in their candidate getting elected.

Yes. I believe your statement is spot on.

While that is often said, I'm not seeing that happen. It's more like the evangelical churches here in the USA are confused, and not united on the clear biblical moral issues like you mention. They were more so thirty years ago. In the meantime, it does not seem the spirituality of the church has clarified and improved either- again very broadly speaking. The spirituality of the church would include preaching and discipling by the gospel.

For example why has the annual march for life on the Roe v. Wade anniversary dwindled? Why is there no unambiguous pro-life position being articulated as a unifying principle of Christianity?

We had, for example the "Manhattan Declaration," that while appearing to compromise important biblical doctrine, did not result in any real action in opposing the biggest advancement of abortion and euthanasia since Roe v. Wade- the federal "health" care takeover? When the Supreme Court upheld that by one vote it was as big judicial activism to support the evil of abortion as Roe v. Wade.

Why DIDN'T Christians "get involved in politics" over that? What's it going to take?

Why weren't more Christians really involved in politics to oppose that and promote life?

Scott for the win!!!!!

:up: :applause:

Ben,

I wholeheartedly concur. I wish I had 10 bucks for everytime I saw an African American congressman, alderman or senate candidate be given not only the pulpit but at least 30-45 mins IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SERVICE to "talk to us about his commitment to better the community" (read: campaign).

They got in office and when did we see that guy or gal again? You guessed it, during the next election. Of course, this issue was only systemic of an array of core issues plaguing the "church" I was a part of (another story for another post...)

P. Geek,

"on the one hand Christians don't want the government to meddle with the affairs of the church and on the other hand they do by wanting that same government to outlaw abortion."

I think this goes to sphere sovereignty. The church has its sphere; the government has its sphere; the family has its sphere. But there is legitimate overlap.

For example, I do want the government-funded fire dept. to come put the fire out if our building is on fire. I do want the police to pursue threatening letters addressed to our church. They can require basic zoning, like no neon signs in a residential neighborhood, or garbage cans brought back in within 24 hours. This is their legitimate sphere. However they can't tell us how to worship, or whether we may, or appoint our elders, etc.

So the church may tell the government that they must forbid abortion, that homosexuality should not be promoted, that stealing even in more muted forms is a sin, etc. The church has no legitimate "force," police or what have you. It is limited to admonition and prayer and such. Perhaps, arguably, some resistance (for another thread I'm sure). To fail to call our public officials to account, or to behave as though their promotion and pursuit of evil is ok, would be wrong. That is a particular role of ours.

Why politics > evangelism in the eyes of many American Christians

A lot of people place more emphasis on politics than evangelism because . . . .

1. people are lazy, and politics (which requires walking into a voting booth) is a lot easier than leading souls to Christ (which “with men is impossible”)
2. mainstream American culture labels religion and theology as “divisive”
3. the widespread influence of Arminianism in American Christianity causes people to seek sanctification through law rather than sanctification through Christ
4. millions of dollars are spent to convince us that conservative politics is the answer (imagine if millions of dollars were spent on evangelism instead!)
5. a large portion of the American left are god-haters (as shown by abortion, gay marriage, booing God at the DNC, ect.)
6. A lot of conservative Christians really, really, really, really, really, really hate Obama.

But in truth... you know which churches are given to political activism at the expense of evangelism? It isn't churches on the "right" of the political spectrum, it's from those on the "left!"

There is a LOT of truth to this statement! The doctrinal statements of some of the mainline churches sound like they were lifted directly out of the Democratic Party platform! While I definitely agree with the OP that the Christian Right as a whole is louder in the political sphere than it is in the evangelism sphere, at least this same group (again, generally speaking) proclaims the gospel of Jesus Christ.

I'm often very hard on the Christian Right, and sometimes crass. I'm not pleased with the fact that my brethren place influencing the government as the highest priority. Sometimes, I even wonder if it's intellectual laziness, and not having enough faith in the sword of God's Holy Word; placing it in turn in the sword of the kingdom of the flesh. Perhaps there is some truth to this in the more broadly evangelical churches, though I know that one most tread carefully when making accusations like this (especially if one has a plank in their eye). It's such a blessing, though, to have good, Reformed denominations - such as the PCA or the others in NAPARC. Denominations full of men and women who believe in the power of the infallible Word, and seek to the best of their abilities to vote according to what this Word tells them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back