Why are these so different?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kim G

Puritan Board Junior
Last night during our church's prayer meeting, our pastor read from I Samuel 17, verse 29.

• In the KJV, it says--And David said, What have I now done? Is there not a cause?
  • Same with the NKJ--And David said, “What have I done now? Is there not a cause?”

However, all of the other versions, including the Bible in French and Spanish, says the following:

• NIV--"Now what have I done?" said David. "Can't I even speak?"
  • NAS--But David said, "What have I done now? Was it not just a question?"
  • ESV--And David said, "What have I done now? Was it not but a word?"
  • NLT--"What have I done now?” David replied. “I was only asking a question!”
  • French, Louis Segond--David répondit: Qu'ai-je donc fait? ne puis-je pas parler ainsi?
  • Spanish, Riena-Valera--David respondió: ¿Qué he hecho yo ahora? ¿No es esto mero hablar?

What's going on here? What in the original language allows for such a different translation?

Luther translates it as...

• David antwortete: Was habe ich dir nun getan? Ist mir's nicht befohlen? (David answered, "What now have I done to you? Was I not ordered?")

It's just a difference in translating the same underlying word.
The meaning of the word translated is "speech" or "word" so by implication it can mean "cause"

The Afrikaans version translated from the TR is also better than the KJV, "Ek vra maar net" "I just asked".

Another case of how using a foreign language, specifically 16th century English makes something difficult to understand. The Strong's word for "cause" is 1697, dabar and it means to say something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back