Why aren't Christmas decorations simply a circumstance of worship?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joseph Scibbe

Puritan Board Junior
:worms: :deadhorse: :tombstone:

So, seeing as how this board is a Reformed Confessional board that holds to the RPW then I assume this is a good place to get an answer to my question. I know it might seem like this horse has been beat to death but I want to know.

From my understanding the RPW governs the elements of worship and not so much the "circumstance" (ie time of day, building shape, etc) (I might be wrong already and if so tell me). I had seen some comments against christmas decorations (or any other seasonal decorations for that matter) are against the RPW. I guess I miss the connection to that. I see it that the RPW does not designate which lighting system to use or the color of my carpet so how does it (RPW) govern such seasonal decorations.

Given my offensive speech on my last controversial topic I will shut my mouth/fingers unless asked a question. Thanks again all.

Joseph I think that the comments in regards to the Christmas decorations were probably in regards to decorations in a church. The decorations would be directly tied to the church celebrating Christmas which many would believe is a violation of the RPW. Lighting systems and carpet color are different than decorations placed in a church to celebrate a holiday. I am not arguing for or against the decorations, but it is important to see the difference. If I understand the argument that would go with the decoration comments you reffered to it would be this: Scripture does not tell us to celebrate Christ's birth, so to celebrate it is a violation of the RPW. Wether that celebration is with decorations, Christmas plays or special Christmas sermons. Hopefully this is helpful. If not I am sure there will be more comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back