Why did EPC lose 27,826 members (18.54% of 2016 members) between 2016 and 2020?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a new member at a EPC church, but they only recently affiliated. They were independent before then. If there were a shift I could see them going back to being independent. The church is growing and has been for a while, lots of young families.
Hopefully they would move in a more incorporated direction toward a denomination reflecting a desired consistency in adherence to the Standards and not the other opposite direction toward "independence."
That can be said of most denominations. One member of a PCA nearby told me that the PCA “had dealt with” the Federal Vision. But one of the elders is an “out and proud” Federal Visionist whether or not he applies that name to himself. And he was put on the session after the FV report.

Sadly, in many churches, the elders only act as sort of a board of directors that isn’t really involved in ministry. Too often they are chosen based on their prominence in the community rather than their theological acumen or spirituality. About 10 years ago I had downloaded a mobile app for a prominent PCA congregation. One day, I got a notification that a document had been uploaded. It had to do with elder candidates who had been nominated, and included a paragraph or two about them. Almost without exception they were what might be termed “high powered professionals” such as doctors or lawyers. Perhaps they were all eminently qualified. Certainly, those types are over represented in Presbyterian churches, especially the big steeple ones. But I wondered if any blue collar guys (or even men who are less prominent or less obviously successful in their careers) are ever nominated, and if so, whether they would be seriously considered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This comment is so sad (not that you said it but what it means). The realities you are putting forth are heartbreaking, yet it is true. This is to the shame of many churches.

Hopefully they would move in a more incorporated direction toward a denomination reflecting a desired consistency in adherence to the Standards and not the other opposite direction toward "independence."
I agree, they are pretty committed to the WC, so there is that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back