Why did Israel lose the Kingdom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by houseparent
While I believe that Joseph, how do you reconcile this passage?

Matt 7:13"Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. 14For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.

I believe Christ's statement there was to the Christians of that day, and was not directed to Christians of all time. And certainly, in the first century, those words held very true.

Lest someone think I'm just glibly dismissing a passage that is (by itself) difficult for postmillenial doctrine, please keep in mind that I have only come to this conclusion regarding Matthew 7:13-14 after considering many other passages as well.

It's kind of like reading the 10th chapter of Hebrews. I have to admit that I would be an Arminian if that was the only chapter of the Bible that I knew about. But Calvinism is so explicitly clear in John 6, John 10, Ephesians 1, Romans 9, etc., that it is no longer tenable for me to hold to an Arminian interpretation of Hebrews 10.

Similarly, if I only had Matthew 7:13-14 to read, then I would be amillennial. But I also have to deal with Matthew 5:5: Romans 4:13, Galatians 3:29, Psalm 110, 1 Corinthians 15, the parable of the wheat and the tares, the parable of the yeast in the dough, the parable of the mustard seed, etc., etc., etc. . .

And in light of all these passages, I can hardly justify throwing them all out the window because of Matthew 7:13-14, especially since another plausible interpretation of that one passage is readily available.

Good points! But doesn't it seem like it still holds true today? I walked away from my Dispensational/premill beliefs and do NOT entertain them still in any way, but this passage and the fact that it still seems to be true today is the hardest thing I have encountered. Not just from those who are not Postmill, but in my own mind as well.

Good points! But doesn't it seem like it still holds true today? I walked away from my Dispensational/premill beliefs and do NOT entertain them still in any way, but this passage and the fact that it still seems to be true today is the hardest thing I have encountered. Not just from those who are not Postmill, but in my own mind as well.

Though I agree with Joseph about the promised land expanding to the whole earth, ("the meek shall inherit the earth") I don' t believe this promise will be fulfilled in this present age, but in the age to come with the new heavens and new earth. That is the Amil understanding :)

Matt 7:13"Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. 14For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.

BB Warfield has an essay/sermon on this verse titled, "are there few that be saved?"

Originally posted by biblelighthouse
While I believe that Joseph, how do you reconcile this passage?

I believe Christ's statement there was to the Christians of that day, and was not directed to Christians of all time. And certainly, in the first century, those words held very true.

Lest someone think I'm just glibly dismissing a passage that is (by itself) difficult for postmillenial doctrine, please keep in mind that I have only come to this conclusion regarding Matthew 7:13-14 after considering many other passages as well.

It's kind of like reading the 10th chapter of Hebrews. I have to admit that I would be an Arminian if that was the only chapter of the Bible that I knew about. But Calvinism is so explicitly clear in John 6, John 10, Ephesians 1, Romans 9, etc., that it is no longer tenable for me to hold to an Arminian interpretation of Hebrews 10.

Similarly, if I only had Matthew 7:13-14 to read, then I would be amillennial. But I also have to deal with Matthew 5:5: Romans 4:13, Galatians 3:29, Psalm 110, 1 Corinthians 15, the parable of the wheat and the tares, the parable of the yeast in the dough, the parable of the mustard seed, etc., etc., etc. . .

And in light of all these passages, I can hardly justify throwing them all out the window because of Matthew 7:13-14, especially since another plausible interpretation of that one passage is readily available.
I agree,I am postmill and believe at the end christianity will be huge.But with that passage I see it as,at the time it was written,until the end,as the sum total including the last 2000 years,the unsaved sum outwayed the saved sum.If that makes any sense

Originally posted by truthman1972
Thanks guys for your insight. You helped me to clarify some things I didn't have fully worked out. ;)

The main reason I asked this question was to help me in a discussion I am having with a dispensationalist who thinks that Israel still belongs to the Hebrews because God gave it to them. He still thinks that God gives the land of Israel to them because of the promises and since some Hebrews are believers in God, He preserves the land for them. It is strange and I am not sure how to refute it clearly.

Any ideas?:detective:

[Edited on 5-13-2005 by truthman1972]

Tony,

The very best you could do is get your friend (perhaps you with him) to read all of the book of Hebrews...start to finish without stopping. Let the Text speak for itself. It's all right there. In order and clear. Note the OT reference texts along the way...

Meanwhile, emotional bias might be intense...so heads-up.

Robin

I agree that it still holds true today. But overall, we are making progress! I would argue that a much greater percentage of people born today become Christians, compared to the world 1900 years ago.

If Christ comes back in 10 years, then I suppose my postmillenial position will be untenable. But He hasn't come back yet, so I'm not wrong yet. :bigsmile: --- Give the church another 5-10 thousand years, and you might be surprised at the percentage of Christians entering the Kingdom of Heaven.

Just think, you and I may actually be part of the early church! :detective:

While I :ditto: Patrick's post....Joseph reminded me of some passages expressing eschatalogical language teaching us discernment of the times ...

Hebrews 1:1-3
Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son,

1 Peter 1:19-21
but with the precious blood of Christ, like that of a lamb without blemish or spot. He was foreknown before the foundation of the world but was made manifest in the last times for your sake, who through him are believers in God, who raised him from the dead and gave him glory, so that your faith and hope are in God.

1 John 2:17-18
And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever. Children, it is the last hour, and as you have heard that antichrist is coming, so now many antichrists have come. Therefore we know that it is the last hour

:detective:

Robin

[Edited on 5-31-2005 by Robin]

Originally posted by Robin
While I :ditto: Patrick's post....Joseph reminded me of some passages expressing eschatalogical language teaching us discernment of the times ...

Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son,

but with the precious blood of Christ, like that of a lamb without blemish or spot. He was foreknown before the foundation of the world but was made manifest in the last times for your sake, who through him are believers in God, who raised him from the dead and gave him glory, so that your faith and hope are in God.

And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever. Children, it is the last hour, and as you have heard that antichrist is coming, so now many antichrists have come. Therefore we know that it is the last hour

Robin

Great verses, Robin. But unfortunately (for your position), such "last days" language was common in pre-Christ Judaism, regarding the end of a particular "age", and not necessarily regarding the end of all time as we know it.

For your verses to mitigate against postmillenialism in any way at all, you would have to demonsrate that the Biblical authors meant "the utter end of the world" or "the very end of time" by those passages. Certainly it was the "last hour" for Jerusalem and the apostate state of Israel . . . just a few years later Jesus came in judgment upon them, just like He promised. --- But it certainly wasn't the end of the world.

:book2:

Robin

Great verses, Robin. But unfortunately (for your position), such "last days" language was common in pre-Christ Judaism, regarding the end of a particular "age", and not necessarily regarding the end of all time as we know it.

For your verses to mitigate against postmillenialism in any way at all, you would have to demonsrate that the Biblical authors meant "the utter end of the world" or "the very end of time" by those passages. Certainly it was the "last hour" for Jerusalem and the apostate state of Israel . . . just a few years later Jesus came in judgment upon them, just like He promised. --- But it certainly wasn't the end of the world.

I am beginning to see the last days as the age ending with the destruction of Jerusalem. granted, it is not air-tight, but then again, no other position is either.

Originally posted by Draught Horse

Robin

I am beginning to see the last days as the age ending with the destruction of Jerusalem. granted, it is not air-tight, but then again, no other position is either.

Some texts for you to consider regarding the time of the "last days."
Acts 2
14But Peter, standing up with the eleven, raised his voice and said to them, "Men of Judea and all who dwell in Jerusalem, let this be known to you, and heed my words. 15For these are not drunk, as you suppose, since it is only the third hour of the day. 16But this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel:
17"And it shall come to pass in the last days, says God,
That I will pour out of My Spirit on all flesh;
Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,
Your young men shall see visions,
Your old men shall dream dreams.
18And on My menservants and on My maidservants
I will pour out My Spirit in those days;
And they shall prophesy.
19I will show wonders in heaven above
And signs in the earth beneath:
Blood and fire and vapor of smoke.
20The sun shall be turned into darkness,
And the moon into blood,
Before the coming of the great and awesome day of the LORD.
21And it shall come to pass
That whoever calls on the name of the LORD
Shall be saved.'

38Then Peter said to them, "Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call."
Hebrews
1 God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, 2has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds; 3who being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself[a] purged our sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, 4having become so much better than the angels, as He has by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.

Clearly the reign of the Messiah takes place during the "last days." Peter ties the promise and outpouring of the Spirit to the "last days." If the last days ended in 70AD, then you have got to somehow explain how the Messianic Kingdom and the outpouring of the Spirit continue since the last days are over. :2cents:

Originally posted by puritansailor

Robin

Some texts for you to consider regarding the time of the "last days."
Acts 2
14But Peter, standing up with the eleven, raised his voice and said to them, "Men of Judea and all who dwell in Jerusalem, let this be known to you, and heed my words. 15For these are not drunk, as you suppose, since it is only the third hour of the day. 16But this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel:
17"And it shall come to pass in the last days, says God,
That I will pour out of My Spirit on all flesh;
Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,
Your young men shall see visions,
Your old men shall dream dreams.
18And on My menservants and on My maidservants
I will pour out My Spirit in those days;
And they shall prophesy.
19I will show wonders in heaven above
And signs in the earth beneath:
Blood and fire and vapor of smoke.
20The sun shall be turned into darkness,
And the moon into blood,
Before the coming of the great and awesome day of the LORD.
21And it shall come to pass
That whoever calls on the name of the LORD
Shall be saved.'

38Then Peter said to them, "Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call."
Hebrews
1 God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, 2has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds; 3who being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself[a] purged our sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, 4having become so much better than the angels, as He has by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.

Clearly the reign of the Messiah takes place during the "last days." Peter ties the promise and outpouring of the Spirit to the "last days." If the last days ended in 70AD, then you have got to somehow explain how the Messianic Kingdom and the outpouring of the Spirit continue since the last days are over. :2cents:

Yes, I was thinking about those verses last night. I said my position wasn't air-tight, only that it attempted to do justice to the available data. All I will say with respect to it now is that the "last days" appear to have different nuances, depending on the user.

Surely on one level we have to see the last days as already ending. Take Acts 2: do we still have women prophetesses in the church?

As I said, I am beginning to see, meaning I still have work to do.

Patrick :ditto: :amen:

Hey Joseph,

The reason the "last days" language was used by the Jews is because they viewed eschatology in "two ages": this present evil age; the age to come. The OT bears this out.

The Temple was THE utter locus of Jewish existence - and in their thinking. (We can't relate to this well - but it might be like our attitude towards Washington DC, the White House, Starbuck's? Or not?) This cultural trait must not be overlooked nor underestimated. One need only to view the conflict's over there today to get a shadow of Jewish national zeal. Think first century, though. To lose the Temple (for any reason) would be the "end of THE world" to the Jew of that day.

The two-age model was taught by Paul: "this present evil age; the Age to come"...Jesus, John, et al, did also. The two ages are characterized thus: The Present Evil Age: sin & death reside; is temporal and passing away; creation groans (suffers decay) The Age to Come: Eternal life, no sin, death, decay; is permanent, God's reign is consummate; creation restored/glorified. (Paul is not a millenarian, btw.)

And for the Amill, these ages overlap because Christ inaugurated the Kingdom - saying it was present at His appearance. (Christ will consummate the Age to come at 2nd Advent.)

All I have time for now....Patrick, take it.......

Oy!

R.

[Edited on 6-1-2005 by Robin]

:banghead: ...it just dawned on my thick brain....

the original question on this thread "why did Israel lose the Kingdom?" Let's be careful and clear, by "kingdom" we mean the land, right? The reign consummated by Solomon, right?

The distinction is necessary especially when explaining things to American-Evangelical friends....it's best to phrase it Scripturally: Christ is true Israel- the Vine. Gentiles are grafted-in; national Israel was cut-off....during all of Redemptive history, all the elect of the covenant endured either by or through Faith. (See Patrick's 5-13 post.)

When I think about it...we shouldn't say the church "replaces" Israel...because it doesn't actually do that. Plus, we get side-tracked by all sorts of confusing word-arguments with Dispensationalists. The church is only "Israel" in the sense that she is IN Christ.

Another thing that gets confused in debating is, what the Kingdom is and is not. The church is not the Kingdom of God -- though the Kingdom reigns in the hearts of believers. I think that has to get clarified, also.

Just pondering....

:deadhorse:

R.

[Edited on 6-2-2005 by Robin]

Robin
The distinction is necessary especially when explaining things to American-Evangelical friends....it's best to phrase it Scripturally: Christ is true Israel- the Vine. Gentiles are grafted-in; national Israel was cut-off....during all of Redemptive history, all the elect of the covenant endured either by or through Faith.
If you can explain that to them successfully I give you a lot of credit,because I sure cant.When I try they look at me like I am in a cult or something.

:banghead: ...it just dawned on my thick brain....

the original question on this thread "why did Israel lose the Kingdom?" Let's be careful and clear, by "kingdom" we mean the land, right? The reign consummated by Solomon, right?

The distinction is necessary especially when explaining things to American-Evangelical friends....it's best to phrase it Scripturally: Christ is true Israel- the Vine. Gentiles are grafted-in; national Israel was cut-off....during all of Redemptive history, all the elect of the covenant endured either by or through Faith. (See Patrick's 5-13 post.)

When I think about it...we shouldn't say the church "replaces" Israel...because it doesn't actually do that. Plus, we get side-tracked by all sorts of confusing word-arguments with Dispensationalists. The church is only "Israel" in the sense that she is IN Christ.

Another thing that gets confused in debating is, what the Kingdom is and is not. The church is not the Kingdom of God -- though the Kingdom reigns in the hearts of believers. I think that has to get clarified, also.

Just pondering....

:deadhorse:

R.

Robin, you bring up an excellent point. When the Gospel accounts are read, Christ spoke more about "The Kingdom of God, Heaven" More than ANYTHING>

IT is a study that I have not been led to look at, but am willing to give it some serious consideration now.

What is this Kingdom that Christ spoke about sooooo much!!!!!

DMB

Originally posted by D Battjes
... Christ spoke more about "The Kingdom of God, Heaven" More than ANYTHING>

DMB

.....The place where God will finally and forevermore dwell among His people:

Rev. 21:3-5

"Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning nor crying nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away."
And he who was seated on the throne said, "Behold, I am making all things new." Also he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true."

The Kingdom of Heaven - where we shall no longer strive with sin - the home of righteousness!

2 Peter 3:13
But according to his promise we are waiting for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells.

Beloved in Christ......let us meditate on the Kingdom of God - Heaven -- where our citizenship is enrolled!

R.

Originally posted by nonconformist
Robin
....When I try, they look at me like I am in a cult or something.

This is the sign that they have heard correctly. The flesh/sinfulness (even of the regenerate) fights against the Gospel --- expect it. In these moments we "suffer for Christ's sake." (See the Apostle Paul's comments re: suffering.)

Stand your ground.

R.

DMB

The secular nation-state of Israel, whom we must support with our tax dollars, and if need be, our lives.

DMB

The secular nation-state of Israel, whom we must support with our tax dollars, and if need be, our lives.

Smart aleck.

:cool:

r.

Robin
....When I try, they look at me like I am in a cult or something.

This is the sign that they have heard correctly. The flesh/sinfulness (even of the regenerate) fights against the Gospel --- expect it. In these moments we "suffer for Christ's sake." (See the Apostle Paul's comments re: suffering.)

Stand your ground.

R.
That is encouraging,at least I am doing something right.I must be my evangellyfish church,is viewing me as the new Hitler:bigsmile:

They view the puritans as hitlers army.Legalism:um:

Ironically, the Dispie/Am Evangelicalism system is legalistic because they impose additional "laws" on the church: do not taste, touch, hear, see XYZ. "Do not smoke, dance or chew - or go with girls who do."

Being free IN Christ, we are duty-bound to exercise Christian Liberty when legalism is imposed upon us.

r.

[Edited on 6-3-2005 by Robin]

Being free IN Christ, we are duty-bound to exercise Christian Liberty when legalism is imposed upon us.

r.

Amen Robin. IT is disguised in many different hats.:pilgrim:

They view the puritans as hitlers army.Legalism:um:

Ironically, the Dispie/Am Evangelicalism system is legalistic because they impose additional "laws" on the church: do not taste, touch, hear, see XYZ. "Do not smoke, dance or chew - or go with girls who do."

r.

Growing up Dispie & Pentecostal, I got a lot of guilt/fear based theology, i.e. believe this (insert non-essential doctrine here) or go to hell. Usually, it was subtle, but not always.

Now that I've wrestled my way through the perfectionistic views on sacntification I was taught, I'm hearing all the Dispie madness with new ears. Now I can hear their threatening, believe this (insert non-essential doctrine here) or go to hell rhetoric clearly. Back to the book of Colossians!

[Edited on 6-3-2005 by turmeric]

[Edited on 6-8-2005 by turmeric]

The legalism :chained: problem is rooted in the misunderstanding of the law and gospel. This of course leads to the errors of justification and sanctification.

The legalism :chained: problem is rooted in the misunderstanding of the law and gospel. This of course leads to the errors of justification and sanctification.
You are totally right.Ever since I started studying the law,and am basically addicted to the law now,I am totally free,more than I ever have been in my entire life.Strange law=freedom

You are totally right.Ever since I started studying the law,and am basically addicted to the law now,I am totally free,more than I ever have been in my entire life.Strange law=freedom

:ditto::amen:

In Christ, we are free to obey....the rest of the world is enslaved to sin.

R.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back