Why do Olympic divers shower immediately after a dive?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Seb, Aug 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seb

Seb Puritan Board Junior

This question has bugged me every year that I've watched the Summer games. I thought I'd share what I found for anyone else who gets useless questions stuck in their head: :gpl:

From: The mystery of the showering divers - Fourth-Place Medal - Olympics - Yahoo! Sports

I know the surface temperature of skin is usually around 87 degrees, so that answer makes sense, except that the girl divers sure seem to focus on rinsing their hair an awful lot. :detective:

2. TimV

TimV Puritanboard Botanist

Interesting. I figured it was to keep the chlorine from damaging their hair and irritating their eyes, but the warmth makes sense.

3. govols

govols Puritan Board Junior

Man, I was way off, I thought it was b/c yah never know when someone pees in the pool.

4. Seb

Seb Puritan Board Junior

:lol:

I thought the same thing and my wife thought it was to get the chlorine out of their hair.

5. N. Eshelman

N. Eshelman Puritan Board Senior

I thought it was too keep the steroids off their skin that leaked out of their pours. Guess I was wrong too.

6. Mushroom

Mushroom Puritan Board Doctor

I'm not surprised that they do. After all, they let frenchmen swim in that pool! :lol:

<Ducking and running before Andrew sees this>

7. VirginiaHuguenot

VirginiaHuguenot Puritanboard Librarian

Grrr! :p

8. matt01

matt01 Puritan Board Senior

I would have guessed that the pool, like any public pool, was dirty. It seems we were all wrong.

9. ColdSilverMoon

ColdSilverMoon Puritan Board Senior

That's only the Chinese divers....

10. Presbyterian Deacon

Presbyterian Deacon Puritan Board Graduate

:lol: :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.