Why do pastors solemnize marriage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRoper

Puritan Board Graduate
Why is it that pastors solemnize marriage? Isn't this just a relic of the sacramentalism of Roman Catholicism? This question came up in my mind when a friend who is a ruling elder and is licensed to preach said he can't marry people. I know the short answer is that the law of the state requires ordination, but why shouldn't the law be different?

Last edited:
Your right, it is a left over relic of the sacramentalism of Roman Catholicism...

The scripture only requires a covenant being made by two people and witnessed by two people.....

Now if you want a Civil Marriage which is not required by the government nor by the bible then you need a Justice of the Peace or a Minister and the qualifications for the minister is different in every state....

But a Civil Marriage is not required to be considered Married but it does help on your taxes.... :lol:

I will write more later... I have some interesting material for ancient hebrew marriages and what was done, etc....

Why is it that pastors solemnize marriage? Isn't this just a relic of the sacramentalism of Roman Catholicism? This question came up in my mind when a friend who is a ruling elder and is licensed to preach said he can't marry people. I know the short answer is that the laws of the state requires ordination, but why shouldn't the law be different?

This is what the Westminster Assembly wrote, which our denomination adheres to as well, in the Directory of Public Worship:

The Solemnization of Marriage.

ALTHOUGH marriage be no sacrament, nor peculiar to the church of God, but common to mankind, and of publick interest in every commonwealth; yet, because such as marry are to marry in the Lord, and have special need of instruction, direction, and exhortation, from the word of God, at their entering into such a new condition, and of the blessing of God upon them therein, we judge it expedient that marriage be solemnized by a lawful minister of the word, that he may accordingly counsel them, and pray for a blessing upon them.

Here are some of the additions I promised....

A ketubah is a Jewish Covenant or agreement. It is considered an integral part of a traditional Jewish marriage. It states that the husband commits to provide food, clothing and conjugal rights to his wife since he is not permitted to diminish those rights for any reason (Ex. 21:10).

The groom and bride may not engage in conjugal rights, until the marriage has been completed by two valid witnesses having signed the ketubah or Covenant testifying that a Covenant was made.

Traditionally, marriage was done by the parents and NOT by the state and the witnesses were most of the time the parents of the bride but it could be others in difficult situations. Later the two witnesses grew to be the best man and the maid of honor in European History....

A goblet of Wine was brought forth and the groom and bride drank from the same cup to symbolized their one flesh union. Followed by a week long feasting of family and friends....

This is what the Westminster Assembly wrote, which our denomination adheres to as well, in the Directory of Public Worship:

ALTHOUGH marriage be no sacrament, nor peculiar to the church of God, but common to mankind, and of publick interest in every commonwealth; yet, because such as marry are to marry in the Lord, and have special need of instruction, direction, and exhortation, from the word of God, at their entering into such a new condition, and of the blessing of God upon them therein, we judge it expedient that marriage be solemnized by a lawful minister of the word, that he may accordingly counsel them, and pray for a blessing upon them.

As it was staed above, this is just a left over from Roman Ritualism. The irony is I do not know if it is given a second thought. Is there any historical evidence of how marraiges took place? Did the clergy 'force' this option or was it forced upon them?

Things may be different over here. Those who want Christian marriage that is a covenant between bride and groom taken before God as part of a Christian worship service would have that service conducted by a minister of the Gospel. Those who do not want Christian marriage will go to the local registrar for marriages. I do not think this is a case of clericalism but rather marriage in the context of Christian worship.

I don't think its a relic of Rome as such though some might abuse it in a way which makes it look Romish. What the directory says is that marriage is an opportune time for ministers to exhort Christian couples in their duties as husbands and wives.

I did once read that a minister should not say "I now pronounce you man and wife" as this sounds as if he is transubstantiating them, instead they are man and wife when they exchange vows. :think:

Daniel, I agree on the "pronouncing" of man and wife. We solved this by the minister saying, "and we now recognize you as man and wife."

The word 'pronounce' means 'to officially declare'. There is nothing wrong with a minister making 'an official declaration' that a couple is man and wife.

When a doctor 'pronounces' someone dead it does not mean that the body is not 'actually' dead until the doctor makes the announcement. The body would be dead either way because God made that person die. The pronouncement is simply an official, public declaration.

Likewise, a couple is man and wife because God has made one person out of two. They are man and wife regardless of what the minister says, but the minister is simply making an official, public declaration.

However, I don't know if 'solemnizing' a marraige is the same thing.

In SC the marraige ceremony vows are the same in the civil ceremony as in the Christian ceremony. The notary public or justice of the peace, "pronounces them man and wife" as part of the legal ceremony.

To quote Daniel Ritchie "I did once read that a minister should not say "I now pronounce you man and wife" as this sounds as if he is transubstantiating them, instead they are man and wife when they exchange vows."

Transubstantiating them!!! :rofl: what a riot!!

My marriage is sacred. I want my Pastor to bless and solemnize us. Anything less misses out on the transendence of God that unites the hearts of me and my wife. When you get to go to the same church week in and week out that you got married in, it does something to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back