Why do we worry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

etexas

Puritan Board Doctor
I was talking to my Pastor about this. I thought it appropriate in an election year. This is almost a rebuke to myself to be honest. We worry about money, Scripture says "The Earth is the Lord's and the fulness thereof." It tells us "the cattle on a thousand hills are His." We worry about politics. Scripture says:I set up and depose Kings." We (the Reformed) are truly guilty given our emphasis on God's Sovereingty. Given our emphasis on Christ as King not just in some "future time", but now, like I say I am guilty of this (to my shame). I wonder WHY as Reformed believers we do this to ourselves. Thoughts? Feedback?:book2:

Last edited:
The short and unexpanded answer? We don't trust God completely. It's to be expected since we are still in this corrupt body (1 Cor. 15:43,44), but it doesn't make it right. We need to heed the words of Paul:

2 Corinthians 5:6-7 6 Therefore, being always of good courage, and knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord-- 7 for we walk by faith, not by sight--

We will fail. We won't always walk by faith but that does not change the instruction to do so. We must be quick to confess, repent and again trust God.

This is a great question. I ask myself that a lot.

My sons are always accusing me of being a worrier and hinting that it is inconsistent with what I say I believe. I am sure there is a bit of truth to that but I really suspect some of us are just wired that way. Some people are sort of standing guard or watchmen on the wall or something.

I call it an offensive lineman personality.
I was an offensive lineman in football and I was always "on the lookout" or checking every little move by the defense because you want to be ready in case someone stunts the gap or there is a blitz or some sort of unexpected move. It isn't like I was afraid at all. I was just not going to be caught of guard or unaware if I could help it.
And I approach life that way.
So I go through a mental check list all the time of the many things that could happen. It bugs others but I sort of feel better if I have considered anything bad that could happen and have a thought in my head of what I will do if something does go wrong.
I know that ultimately what will happen will happen but I just want to do my duty and I want to be ready.

The short and unexpanded answer? We don't trust God completely. It's to be expected since we are still in this corrupt body (1 Cor. 15:43,44), but it doesn't make it right. We need to heed the words of Paul:

2 Corinthians 5:6-7 6 Therefore, being always of good courage, and knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord-- 7 for we walk by faith, not by sight--

We will fail. We won't always walk by faith but that does not change the instruction to do so. We must be quick to confess, repent and again trust God.
Bill, do you feel an "antidote" to tis might be to immerse ourselves in Prayer and Scripture, to help mortify the impulses to worry about such things?

I remind myself of those verses quite often when I begin to feel worried about things..and then I start going over a list of things in my head where God has remained faithful in the past..

I used to write down my prayer requests and when and how they were answered so that I could have something to look back on...reminding me of God's faithfulness in my own life..sure I look back to Scriptures and see His faithfulness to Abraham, Daniel, Issac, Jacob and soforth, but when others come to me asking me how I know God is still working today..I can share with them more readily how God has been faithful to me in my own life..it also brings comfort and peace that I can remain firm in my stand..

I have also began noticing that when worry begins to set in, that it's me thinking God will some how change and not be faithful this time...and not trusting that He NEVER CHANGES and that He is ALWAYS Faithful!!!

And the worry is not just that God won't answer it, but also how and when it will be answered..and I have to remember, it's not in my timing, but His, (He's not slow) and He builds my faith, trust and patience when I have to wait..and the not knowing how, is teaching me, to trust that no matter HOW God chooses to answer my prayers, be it through something painful, or whatever, He is still sovereign and is in control of whatever the situation..where peace can finally set in my heart..

I remind myself of those verses quite often when I begin to feel worried about things..and then I start going over a list of things in my head where God has remained faithful in the past..

I used to write down my prayer requests and when and how they were answered so that I could have something to look back on...reminding me of God's faithfulness in my own life..sure I look back to Scriptures and see His faithfulness to Abraham, Daniel, Issac, Jacob and soforth, but when others come to me asking me how I know God is still working today..I can share with them more readily how God has been faithful to me in my own life..it also brings comfort and peace that I can remain firm in my stand..

I have also began noticing that when worry begins to set in, that it's me thinking God will some how change and not be faithful this time...and not trusting that He NEVER CHANGES and that He is ALWAYS Faithful!!!

And the worry is not just that God won't answer it, but also how and when it will be answered..and I have to remember, it's not in my timing, but His, (He's not slow) and He builds my faith, trust and patience when I have to wait..and the not knowing how, is teaching me, to trust that no matter HOW God chooses to answer my prayers, be it through something painful, or whatever, He is still sovereign and is in control of whatever the situation..where peace can finally set in my heart..
BJ, I am SO guilty of this: I think of God as if he were a kindly yet forgetful mortal man, by this I mean (as you stated), that he might "forget" promises and Covenants with his Elect. This is a shame to me!

etexas;

I am SO guilty of this: I think of God as if he were a kindly yet forgetful mortal man, by this I mean (as you stated), that he might "forget" promises and Covenants with his Elect. This is a shame to me!

As I said, I struggle with the same thing at times, which is why I have found it helpful to write down the various ways He has been faithful in my own life..it makes it more 'real' for me personally.

I have never met Abraham, though I can read how God remained faithful to Him..I have never met King David, but I can read how God remained faithful to him as well. But, I know me, and as I write down how God has remained faithful to me, I can draw on that as well..

Something else I am noticing is that even in middle of the most trying of circumstances I can begin to see how God is working at answering my prayers.

For example, I have been praying about something for awhile now, I've prayed "God, whatever it takes" I don't know what it's going to take to bring about certain changes to happen, but God does..and as we've been going through various trials, I've noticed minor changes concerning those prayers taking place, and I get excited and start praising God in the midst of it all, and people think I'm nuts and ask me "How can I be praising God that I'm going through this?" And I'm like, well, God is answering a prayer..and they are like.."these events are an answer to your prayers? So, You mean you prayed for this to happen?" and I'm having to explain to them, yes and no.

no, I didn't pray for this exact thing to happen, but yes, I prayed God would change some things..and this is what HE KNEW it would take to bring about these changes even though I didn't, all I know is that I prayed, and this is what God is using to answer those prayers..so I praise Him..and the worry goes away, because I know God is working and I see it..

etexas;

I am SO guilty of this: I think of God as if he were a kindly yet forgetful mortal man, by this I mean (as you stated), that he might "forget" promises and Covenants with his Elect. This is a shame to me!

As I said, I struggle with the same thing at times, which is why I have found it helpful to write down the various ways He has been faithful in my own life..it makes it more 'real' for me personally.

I have never met Abraham, though I can read how God remained faithful to Him..I have never met King David, but I can read how God remained faithful to him as well. But, I know me, and as I write down how God has remained faithful to me, I can draw on that as well..

Something else I am noticing is that even in middle of the most trying of circumstances I can begin to see how God is working at answering my prayers.

For example, I have been praying about something for awhile now, I've prayed "God, whatever it takes" I don't know what it's going to take to bring about certain changes to happen, but God does..and as we've been going through various trials, I've noticed minor changes concerning those prayers taking place, and I get excited and start praising God in the midst of it all, and people think I'm nuts and ask me "How can I be praising God that I'm going through this?" And I'm like, well, God is answering a prayer..and they are like.."these events are an answer to your prayers? So, You mean you prayed for this to happen?" and I'm having to explain to them, yes and no.

no, I didn't pray for this exact thing to happen, but yes, I prayed God would change some things..and this is what HE KNEW it would take to bring about these changes even though I didn't, all I know is that I prayed, and this is what God is using to answer those prayers..so I praise Him..and the worry goes away, because I know God is working and I see it..
May He Bless your Faith.

Bill, do you feel an "antidote" to tis might be to immerse ourselves in Prayer and Scripture, to help mortify the impulses to worry about such things?

Max, not alone. There are many times when prayer and scripture is not enough. There is biblical precedent for this. Scripture tells us to bear one anothers burdens (Gal. 6:2), confess our sins to each other (Jas. 5:16), pray for each other (Jas. 5:16), comfort one another (1 Thes. 4:18). Believers do not exist on an island. We are part of the body of Christ. The body is to take care of each individual member. So while reading scripture and prayer is necessary it is in conjunction with the believer being an active part of the body. Word, prayer, sacrament, fellowship, loving confrontation - all of these strengthen the body and therefore the individual. But even with all of these components of the church a believer may still struggle with the impulses you mentioned in your OP. Paul had his thorn in the flesh and no amount of preaching, prayer and fellowship could remove that thorn, but God did give the grace to bear up under it.

Max, not alone. There are many times when prayer and scripture is not enough. There is biblical precedent for this. Scripture tells us to bear one anothers burdens (Gal. 6:2), confess our sins to each other (Jas. 5:16), pray for each other (Jas. 5:16), comfort one another (1 Thes. 4:18). Believers do not exist on an island. We are part of the body of Christ. The body is to take care of each individual member. So while reading scripture and prayer is necessary it is in conjunction with the believer being an active part of the body. Word, prayer, sacrament, fellowship, loving confrontation - all of these strengthen the body and therefore the individual. But even with all of these components of the church a believer may still struggle with the impulses you mentioned in your OP. Paul had his thorn in the flesh and no amount of preaching, prayer and fellowship could remove that thorn, but God did give the grace to bear up under it.
I understand this, yet, we have for example in Matthew, an express comand from Christ not to worry, as for living on an island, I very much agree with you, but, worry is usually internal.:2cents:

This is not the ditch that I fall into as often as the one on the other side of the narrow path. I frequently find myself not caring enough. I often use my understanding of God's Sovereignty as a liscense to not care whenever I hear of a disaster, or the troubles someone is facing. Whats worse is I often use this as a reason not pray. It is a great sin that I am aware of and battle it constantly. I was a fatalist in my past life so this probably carries over from that.

When the worry starts I know right away that I've drifted away from the answer and relief of it!

Thou will keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on Thee, because he trusteth in Thee. Isaiah 25:3

I was talking to my Pastor about this. I thought it appropriate in an election year. This is almost a rebuke to myself to be honest. We worry about money, Scripture says "The Earth is the Lord's and the fulness thereof." It tells us "the cattle on a thousand hills are His." We worry about politics. Scripture says:I set up and depose Kings." We (the Reformed) are truly guilty given our emphasis on God's Sovereingty. Given our emphasis on Christ as King not just in some "future time", but now, like I say I am guilty of this (to my shame). I wonder WHY as Reformed believers we do this to ourselves. Thoughts? Feedback?:book2:

Worrying is practical atheism.

Personally, my biggest cure for worrry is to focus on the character of God. I hear the words of a friend whose gone to be with the Lord, "God has never let me down." Faithful to the end, always trusthworthy, always true. I don't believe that we get enough of who God is in our personal theology.

Worry comes from unbelief, definitely, but fear is also at it's heart. Fear that God does not love us enough to take care of us in all things.

When I worry, I know that it is sin. Worry, left unrepented, manifests anxiety.

Philippians 4:4-7

4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; 6 do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. [ESV]

The cure for worry and anxiety is:

1) Prayer: talking to God, not yourself
2) Supplication: bringing your needs to God
3) Thanksgiving: giving thanks to God for what he has given you

The Apostle teaches that the "peace of God" (that surpasses all understanding) will guard our hearts and minds in Christ Jesus! The amazing "hidden nugget" in this passage is that after mentioning the "peace of God," Paul mentions the "God of peace" in verse 9.

Phil. 4:9 What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you. [ESV]

So if I experience worry, immediately by grace, I do 1, 2, 3. I am soon relieved and alleviated of my worry, and in its place grows a deeper and more profound understanding of divine supply. I am convinced that worry and anxiety reflects a distorted view of the sovereignty of God. Since only He can clear up that distortion by the clarity of His Truth, talking with Him about it surely makes more sense than Dr. Phil.

I understand this, yet, we have for example in Matthew, an express comand from Christ not to worry, as for living on an island, I very much agree with you, but, worry is usually internal.:2cents:

Max, in Matthew we read the words of our Lord:

Matthew 6:25-34 25 "For this reason I say to you, do not be worried about your life, as to what you will eat or what you will drink; nor for your body, as to what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? 26 "Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they? 27 "And who of you by being worried can add a single hour to his life? 28 "And why are you worried about clothing? Observe how the lilies of the field grow; they do not toil nor do they spin, 29 yet I say to you that not even Solomon in all his glory clothed himself like one of these. 30 "But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, will He not much more clothe you? You of little faith! 31 "Do not worry then, saying, 'What will we eat?' or 'What will we drink?' or 'What will we wear for clothing?' 32 "For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. 33 "But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. 34 "So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

Our Lord does command us not to worry, but not without instruction. It's one thing to tell someone, "Don't worry" and then walk away. Jesus basically said, "Don't worry and here's why." In response to His command of not to worry our Lord gives a treatise of sorts on trusting in the provision of God. So Max, yes, we are not to worry, but God has given us many things to help us not to worry. I enumerated many of them earlier.

Be encouraged brother, don't worry. Remember that God has given you His word, the Holy Spirit, the promise of the resurrection, the fellowship of the saints (which is the body of Christ) and pastors/elders to strengthen you in your weak areas. He has done this for all His children.

BaptistInCrisis;

In light of your own situation with your job and the interview, I bet reviewing these verses bring's comfort to your own soul as well, and strengthens your own faith, that God is in the midst of it all leading and directing everything going on..

When I worry, I know that it is sin. Worry, left unrepented, manifests anxiety.

Philippians 4:4-7

4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; 6 do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. [ESV]

The cure for worry and anxiety is:

1) Prayer: talking to God, not yourself
2) Supplication: bringing your needs to God
3) Thanksgiving: giving thanks to God for what he has given you

The Apostle teaches that the "peace of God" (that surpasses all understanding) will guard our hearts and minds in Christ Jesus! The amazing "hidden nugget" in this passage is that after mentioning the "peace of God," Paul mentions the "God of peace" in verse 9.

Phil. 4:9 What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you. [ESV]

So if I experience worry, immediately by grace, I do 1, 2, 3. I am soon relieved and alleviated of my worry, and in its place grows a deeper and more profound understanding of divine supply. I am convinced that worry and anxiety reflects a distorted view of the sovereignty of God. Since only He can clear up that distortion by the clarity of His Truth, talking with Him about it surely makes more sense than Dr. Phil.
Thank you! Well stated.

Worrying is practical atheism.
Some truth in that!:book2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back