Why does the reformed community like Augustine when he was a Catholic monk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What am I asking is how can we advocate and promote someone who belonged to the catholic church?
While Lifepoint Church has one of the most facile creeds of any Church I've ever encountered, I believe in one holy, catholic, and apostolic Church and would not give Augustine a second reading if he didn't belong to the catholic church.

Just so you know, that is not the Lifepoint church that is on my bio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was a cheap shot, Rich, and, it turns out, not at all relevant.

So here is their "Creed":

http://www.lifepointchurch.org/about

It's an improvement but still leaves a lot to be desired. Not a fan of the Lifepoint type Churches in the main.

That's fine, Rich. I'm guessing you were looking for a point of commonality with Carlos (your church uses the Apostle's Creed which confesses belief in the "catholic church") and didn't find anything substantial enough. Otherwise I can't see why you would bring up his church's website, which I'm sure he has no control over. I'm pretty sure every church I've been a member of I disagreed with some approach they took on their website. Carlos seemed to me to be asking a genuine question and even acknowledged all the good that Augustine did. His one hangup was that Augustine was "catholic." It hardly warranted your combative response.

I think I could have been more charitable but was irked by the form of the question that asked how we could trust anything from a catholic monk. My irritation stems from churches like life point that leave their members theologically and historically impoverished such that The word catholic itself takes on the connotation of everything that is bad. There's a built in assumption that the reformation itself rebuild everything from the ground up rather then reforming key points of doctrine. The reality is that the reformation focused upon a relatively narrow slice of disagreement where ass a lot of key theological doctrines were retained and Augustine was central to the formation of many of those doctrines.

Sorry for all the typos, I'm using my phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back