"Why dont you watch Game of Thrones?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stope

Puritan Board Sophomore
There are many ways we can respond to the question of "Why dont you watch Game of Thrones?"

"That is wicked and evil!"
"I wish I could, but it makes my mind wonder"
"The way they created the sets and the wardrobe is brilliant and beautiful, but the way they arouse passions is dangerous"

How can we respond in such a way that we are the salt of the earth and not just "anti"?

There are many ways we can respond to the question of "Why dont you watch Game of Thrones?"

"The way they created the sets and the wardrobe is brilliant and beautiful, but the way they arouse passions is dangerous"

How can we respond in such a way that we are the salt of the earth and not just "anti"?

GoT employs adult film actors/actresses, and given the nature of some scenes, how do you know it isn't just hard-core? Most people don't want to admit in public that they watch p*rn, so that is one response.

Normally I just say stuff like "I am poor and don't have dish or cable or whatever these days."

GoT employs adult film actors/actresses, and given the nature of some scenes, how do you know it isn't just hard-core? Most people don't want to admit in public that they watch p*rn, so that is one response.

Normally I just say stuff like "I am poor and don't have dish or cable or whatever these days."
Sorry my man, Im not following what you are saying here "how do you know it isn't just hard-core?"??

How would you communicate that to a non-believer and use it as a time to witness?
I wouldn't. My communications with the non-believer start with their duty to believe upon the name of the Lord and be saved. If they cannot get past understanding their duty as creatures of the Creator, discussing television viewing habits is not relevant at all.

I wouldn't. My communications with the non-believer start with their duty to believe upon the name of the Lord and be saved. If they cannot get past understanding their duty as creatures of the Creator, discussing television viewing habits is not relevant at all.

Precisely. Why should we expect depraved people to do anything else? Their chief problem is unbelief. If that is not rectified, then their entertainment choices will be the least of their worries on judgment day.

We have the mind of Christ now, and doubt very much He would enjoy the bloody mayhem, and the continual adultery and fornication.

Sorry my man, Im not following what you are saying here "how do you know it isn't just hard-core?"??

Most venues define hard-core p*rn as actual, non-simulated sexual intercourse (among other things). Other nudity on TV, while unfortunate, if it is a sex act, is simulated. They aren't really "doing it."

My guess is that in GoT they actually are, which makes it hard-core.

You wouldn't seize the opportunity to share truth with a person at this time? If so what would you say?

The reason I even ask this question is because I know that tonight when I see my brother-in-law that he will ask, and I very much desire for him to know Jesus and as such I will use it as a time to share truth with him.

True, for whether they watch that show or not is the least of their worries, as they have a sin problem that God needs to deal with them on.

I believe this is good and true to an extent, but don't we want all people to be moral even for the sake of our society and culture? Isn't it better for a country to have decency and morality even if they don't embrace the Lord? Kind of how parents should still be taught to do good to their children even if they aren't believers. Just a thought with all due respect.

The question is a good one, and the answer depends on if one sees us as being able to legislate morality on unsaved persons.

You wouldn't seize the opportunity to share truth with a person at this time? If so what would you say?

The reason I even ask this question is because I know that tonight when I see my brother-in-law that he will ask, and I very much desire for him to know Jesus and as such I will use it as a time to share truth with him.

I think what he means is that if he is unregenerate, the real battle will be there, not GoT. However, one could use that conversation to open up to the Gospel (no, I am not saying Game of Thrones is a stepping stone to the gospel).

Friends. We are all called to share the Gospel, we are called to share the reasons for the hope within. In my opinion when someone asks me why I wouldn't be like the rest of this modern culture that embraces and celebrates the objectification of women, degrades human life and the beauty that is marriage, and causes people to arose love when it isnt the wife of their youth, etc. I think this is a great time to share the REASONS why we dont belong to the kingdom that embraces those attributes...

I ask then: what would you say to a person who says "What is it about your Christian faith, that you think would be valuable for me to know, are the reasons you dont watch GoT?"

Answer the question with a question. Retort, why don't you believe on the Lord Jesus Christ? Or why don't you go to church? The response will give you an idea how then to tackle his question. If for instance he would say, I don't believe in that rubbish, then you can can give an equivalent reply. It will open up a door of utterance for the gospel.

Let your yes be yes and your no be no.

Don't equivocate. Say you don't watch p0rn and leave it at that. If he wants to engage further, engage. If he wants to move on to a new topic, move on and be satisfied that you have cast a seed. Time will tell if it was fertile soil or rocky ground.

I believe this is good and true to an extent, but don't we want all people to be moral even for the sake of our society and culture? Isn't it better for a country to have decency and morality even if they don't embrace the Lord? Kind of how parents should still be taught to do good to their children even if they aren't believers. Just a thought with all due respect.
I don't want all people to be moral. The very morality at stake is one given by the Moral Lawgiver, God. I want all people to be God's people. If they are, they will begin to walk aright morally.

I don't want all people to be moral. The very morality at stake is one given by the Moral Lawgiver, God. I want all people to be God's people. If they are, they will begin to walk aright morally.
I still really very much would love to hear how you would use this question as an opportunity to share, or plant truth in regards to, the Gospel if you were asked this question?

I have little context to answer this. Surely, I assume, you have discussed that which you hold dear with him in the past, so his question to you, and your answer, should not be unexpected. I would have to know much more about what he has had to say about your past discussions of the faith to craft a reasoned answer.

I gave up watching TV years ago. The condo community I live in the past 11 years pays for cable through our maintenance fees but I eschew the medium since I consider most programs anti Christian and/or promoting immorality. So I made a covenant with my eyes not to look upon it.
I am not familiar with this program at all, though, since I don't live in a cave I've heard of it. To think that one program I did watch a couple of episodes of years ago, The Sopranos, was one of the most popular in popular culture is a sad commentary on our country and world at large. In the unlikely event that someone were to ask me why I don't watch this sort of thing I would give them all of the above.

I ask then: what would you say to a person who says "What is it about your Christian faith, that you think would be valuable for me to know, are the reasons you dont watch GoT?"
Asked and answered: Matthew 5:29-30.

Perhaps my answer will lead to more questions and I would proceed from there. Perhaps my answer will be met with gnashing of teeth. End of conversation. Who knows?

My approach was certainly different when I was doing street and door to door evangelism some years ago than when I had an ongoing relationship with someone.

There are many good responses possible to such a question, as seen by replies herein.

One way that I might try would be to say, "I am not familiar with that program (I have some awareness of it but I've never seen it and don't pretend to know what it's about), but you apparently are and seem to like it. So let me ask you, 'why do you watch it? What do you seek to get out of it?' etc." Even if I were more familiar with it, I could still ask questions like this (without disclaiming knowledge of it).

Perhaps he presses me, "well, it's a very popular show and it's well done" [is it regarded in this way?]. I could say, in addition to drawing him out, "I feel no particular need to see it, as I am a follower of Jesus Christ and am fulfilled by trusting in and obeying Him." We could talk about how what the world calls freedom is really slavery and what the world regards as slavery (obeying God and His Word) is, in fact, true freedom.

Whether I pick something out of that show (if I am familiar with it) or have him pick something out of that show, my real interest, and his truest need, is to talk about the law and the gospel. If I have that firmly in mind, I can take the conversation there rather naturally: ultimate matters are always close at hand if one has the eyes to see such.

Reality can be brought to the conversation if he's stuck on this show--I might say, "There are many shows I don't watch. What's so special about this one?" I could also say "there's many things that you are not familiar with that I think that you should be that are far more important than any form of entertainment, e.g., the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ is the most important thing in the world. Why don't you attend upon it and believe it, resting and trusting in Christ?"

This all seems rather hackneyed and formulaic (and thus unrealistic) when reduced to these hypothetical written dialogues. But in a dynamic interchange this can all be engaged in an earnest, sincere way that might impact someone as you give a reason for the hope within.

Peace,
Alan

There are many good responses possible to such a question, as seen by replies herein.

One way that I might try would be to say, "I am not familiar with that program (I have some awareness of it but I've never seen it and don't pretend to know what it's about), but you apparently are and seem to like it. So let me ask you, 'why do you watch it? What do you seek to get out of it?' etc." Even if I were more familiar with it, I could still ask questions like this (without disclaiming knowledge of it).

Perhaps he presses me, "well, it's a very popular show and it's well done" [is it regarded in this way?]. I could say, in addition to drawing him out, "I feel no particular need to see it, as I am a follower of Jesus Christ and am fulfilled by trusting in and obeying Him." We could talk about how what the world calls freedom is really slavery and what the world regards as slavery (obeying God and His Word) is, in fact, true freedom.

Whether I pick something out of that show (if I am familiar with it) or have him pick something out of that show, my real interest, and his truest need, is to talk about the law and the gospel. If I have that firmly in mind, I can take the conversation there rather naturally: ultimate matters are always close at hand if one has the eyes to see such.

Reality can be brought to the conversation if he's stuck on this show--I might say, "There are many shows I don't watch. What's so special about this one?" I could also say "there's many things that you are not familiar with that I think that you should be that are far more important than any form of entertainment, e.g., the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ is the most important thing in the world. Why don't you attend upon it and believe it, resting and trusting in Christ?"

This all seems rather hackneyed and formulaic (and thus unrealistic) when reduced to these hypothetical written dialogues. But in a dynamic interchange this can all be engaged in an earnest, sincere way that might impact someone as you give a reason for the hope within.

Peace,
Alan
Awesome!!!!

As Alan said, there are many good and possible approaches. I like his, but I know myself and I know what would come to mind:

"There 1440 minutes in a day. God owns them. He lends them to me. He has commanded me to account for them. I waste too many of them as it is. Tell me why I might be swayed to divert this precious resource to such an activity?"

And go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back