Why have NKJV sales been so strong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Timothy,

I just wanted to have fun with the comments PB members make about the Yoda-esque style.

The explanation is actually quite simple. The customers have walked into the shop, picked up an NKJV instead of something else, and given the booksellers the money.;)

This is perhaps a better reason than my waxing eloquent! :p But I do wonder how much this happens? I mean, how many people do put thought into a Bible? ie, driven by packaging or Binding. (If I wanted NIV, I could get anything, from primo leather to a metal encased Bible to survive the nuclear holocaust!)

The same goes for the ESV. In some respects the ESV has led the pack in issuing trendy editions.
I do not agree (with due respect) when was the last time you were in a Christian Bookstore? NIV, all over the place, NLT, everywhere, growing area for the ESV selection, with the NKJV, the FEW they have are in a corner! You have to ask to find them. The same in B&N.:2cents:

Last edited:
This is perhaps a better reason than my waxing eloquent! :p But I do wonder how much this happens? I mean, how many people do put thought into a Bible? ie, driven by packaging or Binding. (If I wanted NIV, I could get anything, from primo leather to a metal encased Bible to survive the nuclear holocaust!)

The same goes for the ESV. In some respects the ESV has led the pack in issuing trendy editions.
I do not agree (with due respect) when was the last time you were in a Christian Bookstore? NIV, all over the place, NLT, everywhere, growing area for the ESV selection, with the NKJV, the FEW they have are in a corner! You have to ask to find them. The same in B&N.:2cents:

I think the ESV was the first in the metal case, they have editions in polka dot covers, hot pink rubber covers, etc. But if you are thinking of the "bibles" in magazine format, then no, Crossway hasn't gone that far.

NKJV is front and center in most stores I go in. I don't really count B&N because they really aren't as geared toward evangelicals the way Books a Million is. Borders section is typically better than B&N too. Most independent Christian bookstores have as much NKJV as AV, and Lifeway and Family Christian Stores as well.

This is the reason for the Lockman Foundation's reasoning for their high royalties. The NASV was actually translated by Yoda himself! Do you have any idea how much it costs to get a jedi-master to translate the entire Bible from scratch!?!?!?

They are still trying to pay for the original work they are.

Also, when they did the updated version, they did not consult Yoda and this made the little guy quite angry. Almost turned him to the dark side it did but instead he sued the Foundation and won using the old jedi mind trick...thus we have even more inflated prices regarding the royalties.

The NASB has a new trendy edition coming doesn't it???:lol:

YodaNASB.jpg

I hear it promises to be a most dynamic "sword" AND it will appeal to the niche audience of aging geeks.

Last edited:
This seems to be a common choice for pastors and churches who would prefer not to use the KJV but have a lot of members who still use it. I think this is one reason why the MacArthur Study Bible was first issued in the NKJV. MacArthur is Critical Text all the way as the notes demonstrate. I remember reading somewhere that the NKJV was chosen because it would appeal to a wider range of people than the NASB would.
Actually, it was about money. They wanted the MSB to be printed using the NASB, but the Lockman Foundation wanted far too much money to use their translation. Nelson, on the other hand, already was in on the new study Bible, so there was no copyright issue. Only after Zondervan obtained rights to the NASB did the MSB get published with that version. It's supposed to come out in ESV shortly as well. This may be one huge reason the NKJV has done well though, because they were cheaper for publication of study Bibles (New Geneva, Reformation and others). [NOTE: Sorry I repeated some of what was said - I typed this as I went through the thread and am too lazy to weed out the parts already addressed]

While I'm not an AV proponent, I do prefer the MT (too many concerns with the TR, personally). The NKJV is the closest to the MT I'm aware of, and uses a very responsible translation method. While being literal, it is not nearly as presumptuous as many other versions. Translation decisions are noted by using italics and margin notes, and variances from both the NU and MT are noted as well. This gives the reader the opportunity to investigate and make decisions in accordance to their own textual preferences/convictions. I've encouraged members of our church to do likewise for the same reasons.

I don't chew (anymore), gamble (anymore) or drink (anymore), but I do like to dance with my wife on occasion and enjoy some Shakespeare. Sorry Dennis, I suppose I sort of mess up the stereotype... Or maybe not because I've never been a NASCAR enthusiast. Perhaps I'm just confused. ;)

This seems to be a common choice for pastors and churches who would prefer not to use the KJV but have a lot of members who still use it. I think this is one reason why the MacArthur Study Bible was first issued in the NKJV. MacArthur is Critical Text all the way as the notes demonstrate. I remember reading somewhere that the NKJV was chosen because it would appeal to a wider range of people than the NASB would.

Actually, it was about money. They wanted the MSB to be printed using the NASB, but the Lockman Foundation wanted far too much money to use their translation. Nelson, on the other hand, already was in on the new study Bible, so there was no copyright issue. Only after Zondervan obtained rights to the NASB did the MSB get published with that version. It's supposed to come out in ESV shortly as well. This may be one huge reason the NKJV has done well though, because they were cheaper for publication of study Bibles (New Geneva, Reformation and others). [NOTE: Sorry I repeated some of what was said - I typed this as I went through the thread and am too lazy to weed out the parts already addressed]

While I'm not an AV proponent, I do prefer the MT (too many concerns with the TR, personally). The NKJV is the closest to the MT I'm aware of, and uses a very responsible translation method. While being literal, it is not nearly as presumptuous as many other versions. Translation decisions are noted by using italics and margin notes, and variances from both the NU and MT are noted as well. This gives the reader the opportunity to investigate and make decisions in accordance to their own textual preferences/convictions. I've encouraged members of our church to do likewise for the same reasons.

I don't chew (anymore), gamble (anymore) or drink (anymore), but I do like to dance with my wife on occasion and enjoy some Shakespeare. Sorry Dennis, I suppose I sort of mess up the stereotype... Or maybe not because I've never been a NASCAR enthusiast. Perhaps I'm just confused. ;)

Do you mean Nelson instead of Zondervan obtaining rights to the translaton? Zondervan has been publishing the NASB 1995 Update since at least 1999. That's when my NASB Classic Reference Bible was published by Zondervan and they issued the NASB Study Bible within a year or so after that. Nelson recently started producing NASB's again (they were a publisher for the older version in the 1970's and 80's), starting I think with the MSB and now with some other editions as well.

I agree with your take on the NKJV being the best modern translation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back