Why I Do What I Do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Kistler

Puritan Board Sophomore
Folks, I just finished editing a book by William Spurstowe, member of the Westminster Assembly, and had to share this wonderful paragraph. It reminds me why I do what I do.

Now the intercession of Christ is set forth in Scripture with all the advantages that may be so that thereby believers may be secured of their interest and title to the things that He has purchased. “We have a great High Priest that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God; let us therefore hold fast our profession” (Hebrews 4:14). First, He is a great High Priest, greater than all who were before Him both in power and favor with God. Second, He has passed into the heavens, a sanctuary that no other priest could ever enter into or sit down in, all their sacrifices being imperfect and therefore to be daily renewed by them. Third, He is Jesus, the Son of God, more near in alliance unto Him than angels or men, and therefore most sure to prevail for obtaining whatever He asks or requires of Him. When He therefore, who is the only Favorite of heaven, is the believer’s Advocate, and continually solicits God to fulfill His covenant made with Him, and His peoples’ prayers made unto Him, what ground can there be for jealousies and distrust in a believer’s heart? What rational impediment can there be imagined to hinder or weaken the confidence of faith that the intercession of Christ does not fully remove and take away? Are your prayers tainted with the corruption and infirmities of the flesh? He perfumes them with the sweet odors of His intercession (Revelation 8:3). Are your sins multiplied and renewed daily? So are the intercessions of Christ. It is His only work in heaven to intercede for sinners (Hebrews 7:25). Are your persons vile, and such as you fear God will not accept? Christ, who is your High Priest, is holy, harmless, and separate from sinners (Hebrews 7:26). He has in His person a fullness of all perfections, that may assure every believer that the promises he pleads and the requests he makes to God in Christ’s name shall not be like arrows shot at the sun, that never reach it or come near to it; but they shall pierce the heavens and be of such power and prevalence with God that what they seek He will grant, and the promises they plead in faith He will perform and make good in truth. Wherefore let me again commend unto believers the great duty of exercising faith on the promises of Christ, which cannot but fill the heart with strong and inseparable consolations when by the eye of faith they are looked upon as those great things that are both the purchase of His most precious blood and the matter of His most powerful intercession.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back