Why is a person’s worldview important to the way they approach counseling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew1344

Puritan Board Sophomore
This was my first assignment in my Into to Discipleship Counseling class at Eternity Bible College. My first question was this.

I am no scholar, but I had a blast thinking through this answer. I am really loving school!

I have always loved you guys input, because you all really challenge me a lot. Please, if you have a sec, skim through this and pick apart my answer.

What did I miss?
Is there a logical flow?
Doctrinally wrong?
Bad understanding of scriptures?

A simple definition for worldview is how one sees the world. The best worldview is one in light of the Gospel.

"Worldviews exert their influence at the deepest level of a culture" (Hiebert 5). I agree with this and I want to bring it home. I would say that worldviews exert their influence at the deepest level of a person. "For as he calculates in his soul, so is he" (Proverbs 23:7).

People come to others for counseling because they need advice on how to align their life to what their worldview says is good. No one wants to strive for misery and a horrible life in their worldview. Even if their worldview is that misery and suffering are ways to find an inner happiness, like Buddhism, at the end of the day they are trying to be happy.

So for everyone, the counseled and the counselor, worldview is extremely important, because it determines what kind of counsel you get or give. For the Christian we make it our aim to base our worldview on the glory of Christ and his gospel.

I have been told before that there are two basic questions in life. "What is Truth" and "Why are we here". The answer to the first question answers the second also. Truth is Jesus. "I am the...Truth... and no one gets to the Father except through me" (John 14:6). Because of this, we submit our lives to Christ as Lord. This is why we are here. We love him by obeying his commands (John 14:15), trusting his counsel in life (Psalm 73:24), to experience what is good for us, namely, the presence of God (Psalm 16:11).

As a Christian counselor, we understand that the issue is never the problem. The issue is always a side effect. The problem is always sin. This is the reason for the importance of a gospel worldview in counseling. In Mortification of Sin in Believers, John Owen states that "Sin will not only be striving, acting, rebelling, troubling, disquieting, but if let alone, if not continually mortified, it will bring forth great, cursed, scandalous, soul-destroying sins.... Sin aims always at the utmost; every time it rises up to tempt or entice, might it have its own course, it would go out to the utmost sin in that kind. Every unclean thought or glance would be adultery if it could; every covetous desire would be oppression, every thought of unbelief would be atheism, might it grow to its head" (Owen 15). Adultery, covetousness, and atheism is not the problem, sin is.

If this is true, which I believe it is, then we need Christ. We need Christ to forgive us and cleanse us from our sins. We need his work on Calvary to put to death the sins of the body. We need Christ to be deliver us from this body of death. We need Christ, because all we have is Christ. He is our only hope.

So, worldview plays a crucial role in how we approach counseling. It is actually a matter of life and death. If Christ is the worldview, then their is hope for the soul. If Christ is not found, then neither is hope in ever being healed.

I would add this to what you have said. World view, or world life view, or perspective on reality, or weltanschauung is also important because it determines what the individual believes truth is, and if they believe truth is knowable. This impacts whether or not they believe their are absolutes taught in the Bible.

A person's worldview is very important. If someone says, "I don't care what the Bible teaches. I don't care if I give counsel contrary to what the Bible teaches." then he is going to give counsel that is different from the person who believes that the Bible is the supreme authority.

If someone is struggling with sin and he goes to a non-Christian counselor for help, that non-Christian counselor will give him a man-made remedy for his sin problem. He won't hear the gospel of Jesus Christ. He won't hear about how God sanctifies people. He won't hear anything about walking in the Spirit or putting on the full armor of God.

A counselor who believes that sin is a non-curable disease that cannot be overcome is going to give counsel that is different from someone who believes that God can help you to overcome any sin.

Last edited:
One's worldview forms the questions to the "big questions"...

1. What kind of God, if any, actually exists?
2. Is there anything beyond the cosmos?
3. What can be known and how can anyone know it?
4. Where did I come from?
5. Who am I?
6. Where am I?
7. How should I live?
8. What should I consider of great worth?
9. What is humanity's fundamental problem?
10. How can humanity's problem be solved?
11. What is the meaning and direction of history?
12. Will I survive the death of my body and, if so, in what state?

It is in the testing of one's worldview that we learn how others may be borrowing intellectual and spiritual capital from the believer's worldview:

1. Coherence Test: Is a particular worldview logically consistent?

2. Balance Test: Is the worldview properly balanced between simplicity and complexity?

3. Explanatory Power and Scope Test: How well does a worldview explain the facts of reality (`power"), and how wide is the range of its explanation ("scope")?

4. Correspondence Test: Does a particular worldview correspond with well-established,empirical facts, and does it correspond to a person's experiences in the world?

5. Verification Test: Can the central truth-claims of the worldview be verified or falsified?

6. Pragmatic Test: Does the worldview promote relevant, practical, and workable results?

7. Existential Test: Does the worldview address the internal needs of humanity?

8. Cumulative Test: Is the worldview supported by multiple lines of converging evidence that together add increasing support for its truth-claims and extend the breadth of its explanatory power?

9. Competitive Competence Test: Can the worldview successfully compete in the marketplace of ideas?

See also:
http://www.amazon.com/World-Difference-Reasons-Believe-Truth-Claims-ebook/dp/B00B8582GK

http://www.fpcr.org/MDV10 WorldView.pdf

http://www.amazon.com/Worldviews-Conflict-Choosing-Christianity-World/dp/0310577713

http://www.amazon.com/Christian-Philosophy-Made-Easy-Developing-ebook/dp/B0050K0NL6

Last edited:
Patrick,

I like those 9 tests. Is there a source (other than you)? If not, may I use them? They would provide a helpful outline for a comparison study I am doing of competing worldviews.

I think you wrote a good answer.

Putting it in other words:

Christianity addresses a broken person in a broken world to the glory of God. They may be longing for justice or other longings in a dysfunctional way inconsistent with the best way for their good. What is seen as good will depend on the world view. There is probably a way to do it that is God centered and a way to do it that is not. It's possible a person's depression is due to God showing them a particular idol is 'out of gas' in their lives

In contrast you might mention some other views:
Buddism may call on a person to look within themselves and be their own light... that is asking a broken person to correct their own brokenness
Achieving Nirvana is extinguisher of all desires, even love because desire is seen as a cause of problems... in a biblically informed views desires are neutral and can be set on good or bad things and I think that applies to some forms of Buddism
A secular councelor might be more pragmatic: is this working in your life?
A man centered councelor might focus on how can you achieve your goals and be happy

You can mention how a counselor may be addressing the world view competitors various ways:
Idols of the heart might be addressed by a counselor with a Biblical world view
A counselor might address more external or more internal things depending on whether their world view emphasizes internal conscience and feelings, external behaviors or both
That might come out as appeals to conscience or appeals to shame or both

As I understand it, the eastern religions of India tend to address the problem of pain
The religions of China tend to address living in harmony

Patrick,

I like those 9 tests. Is there a source (other than you)? If not, may I use them? They would provide a helpful outline for a comparison study I am doing of competing worldviews.

The first link to Samples' book contains the list and extensive discussion to the tests I listed above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back