Why is it important to become a member of a local church?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romans922

Puritan Board Professor
I didn't see anything of this nature when I searched although, I would think it would be there. But can you guys give me some reasons why it is important for people to become members of local congregations, instead of just attending the same church?

It subjects one to the oversight of the elders of that congregation, it's an accountability thing.

God uses ordinary means to accomplish his purposes (in most cases). Therefore, to claim membership in the invisible church (i.e. the elect) while not being a member in the visible church should raise flags about the validity of one's profession. God promised to build his church, and commanded us not to forsake gathering with it.

:2cents:

Don't get me started! ;)

A few more basic reasons:

[1] The visible church is the pillar and ground of truth. 1 Tim. 3:15.
[2] Apart from the visible church there is nor ordinary hope of salvation.
[3] It is where you find the life-giving preaching of the Word, which has the power to save you.
[4] It is the only place you find the lawful adminstration of the sacraments, which are efficacious to salvation (as are the preaching of the Word and prayer).

You may find this excerpt from the Belgix Confession useful:
Article 28: The Obligations of Church Members
We believe that since this holy assembly and congregation is the gathering of those who are saved and there is no salvation apart from it, no one ought to withdraw from it, content to be by himself, regardless of his status or condition.

But all people are obliged to join and unite with it, keeping the unity of the church by submitting to its instruction and discipline, by bending their necks under the yoke of Jesus Christ, and by serving to build up one another, according to the gifts God has given them as members of each other in the same body.

And to preserve this unity more effectively, it is the duty of all believers, according to God's Word, to separate themselves from those who do not belong to the church, in order to join this assembly wherever God has established it, even if civil authorities and royal decrees forbid and death and physical punishment result.

And so, all who withdraw from the church or do not join it act contrary to God's ordinance.

[Edited on 3-6-2006 by Scott]

This is a good article from Christianity Today that I hand out to people.

[Edited on 3-6-2006 by Scott]

Scott,

Good article, but I don't think it adresses the original question about attending versus formal membership. (although I could be wrong about that).

A few more basic reasons:

[1] The visible church is the pillar and ground of truth. 1 Tim. 3:15.
[2] Apart from the visible church there is nor ordinary hope of salvation.
[3] It is where you find the life-giving preaching of the Word, which has the power to save you.
[4] It is the only place you find the lawful adminstration of the sacraments, which are efficacious to salvation (as are the preaching of the Word and prayer).

Are not these benefits available to committed attenders as well as members? If not please explain.

Thanks,
Russ

You know, I did not read the original post closely enough.

The difference between attending and joining is the difference between a dating relationship and marriage (and in the PCA, church membership is established by covenant). An attender has no rights to anything from the church and no duty to it.

In the PCA members join by church covenant. Two of the promises they make are as follows: "4. Do you promise to support the Church in its worship and work to the best of your ability? 5. Do you submit yourselves to the government and discipline of the Church, and promise to study its purity and peace?"

Until someone takes the vow, they don't take these obligations on themselves anymore than a man dating a woman takes on marital obligations.

As to the benefits the member gets, there are a host of duties the BCO imposes on the Session and the church with regard to members. Of course, the Session may apply some or all of these to a regular attender, even as a man dating a woman might bestow on her certain benefits (I sound so romantic, don't I!). Eg (not that the duties are directed toward "the flock" - i.e. members):

"It belongs to those in the office of elder, both severally and jointly, to watch diligently over the flock committed to his charge, that no corruption of doctrine or of morals enter therein. They must exercise government and discipline, and take oversight not only of the spiritual interests of the particular church, but also the Church generally when called thereunto. They should visit the people at their homes, especially the sick. They should instruct the ignorant, comfort the mourner, nourish and guard the children of the Church. They should set a worthy example to the flock entrusted to their care by their zeal to evangelize the unconverted and make disciples. All those duties which private Christians are bound to discharge by the law of love are especially incumbent upon them by divine vocation, and are to be discharged as official duties. They should pray with and for the people, being careful and diligent in seeking the fruit of the preached Word among the flock."

Originally posted by Jeff_Bartel
God uses ordinary means to accomplish his purposes (in most cases). Therefore, to claim membership in the invisible church (i.e. the elect) while not being a member in the visible church should raise flags about the validity of one's profession. God promised to build his church, and commanded us not to forsake gathering with it.

Thank you very much, this is certainly the right answer. God has given us ordinary means and rejecting them in favorite of some statement like "i can do it better myself worshipping in the beauty of nature while camping out" is not just egotistical but neglects the good provision of God.

is anyone aware of another thread on PB or an FAQ or links list on the topic of:
"is church membership required?"
the question comes up so often i'd like a good complete link to offer people....
thanks

[Edited on 3-6-2006 by rmwilliamsjr]

I think this is a good overview answering your question:

http://www.apuritansmind.com/PuritanWorship/MurphyThomasDutiesChurchMembers.htm

Duties Of The Church Member To The Church.
By Dr. Thomas Murphy, D.D.

Duty 1: To Pray For The Church.

Duty 2: To Attend Church.

Duty 3: To Support The Church.

Duty 4: To Draw Others To The Church.

Duty 5: To Study The Peace Of The Church.

Duty 6: To Guard The Good Name Of The Church.

Duty 7: To Stand By The Pastor Of The Church.

Duty 8: To Contribute To The Benevolent Objects Of The Church.

Duty 9: To Adopt Some Branch Of Church Work.

Duty 10: To Help In The Sabbath School Of The Church.

Thanks guys, Good stuff. Don't worry I am not questioning, I was just looking for other peoples' opinion on the subject.

communion and Communion

Richard Williams (above) has written a number of helpful observations, gathered quotes
and statements, and analyzed some of the historical background on membership in churches and the Lord's Supper.

I'd encourage readers to check it out; this material stems from a class Richard taught in our church on the History of American Presbyterianim.

http://www.dakotacom.net/~rmwillia/hap2.html

Though it has been stated above that the church is the only "lawful place" where the sacraments can be administered, which is true, this phrasing misses the richness of the covenantal relationship Christians are to enjoy under the authority of God's Shepherds, and in sacred connection with other professing Christians.

Without communion (i.e., membership) there is no communion (i.e., the Supper).

In connection with my responsibilities as a minister of the Gospel whose credentials are currently in the Presbyterian Church in America, I've written an essay, the beginning of which I've pasted below. The rest can be found at http://philuptheblog.blogspot.com/

Most churches have pastors who administer communion, that is, the Lord's Supper, using something like the following words regarding who may partake:

This meal is for Christians and is open to all who believe. We welcome all who have professed their faith in Jesus Christ to partake with us this morning, even if they are not from this particular church. But if you are not a Christian, this meal is not for you.

While this communicates what is most significant about partaking of this Holy Meal, namely, faith in Jesus Christ (for in these words, all who do not believe or are living in unrepentant sin are excluded from the Supper), are there any other exclusions that should be made?

This question arises because the wording used above leaves some things unspecified. For example, what kind of relationship, if any, has this "believing person" established with a particular church? Is such a relationship necessary?

The Book of Church Order Part of our church's constitution, as a member of the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA), the Book of Church Order (BCO), addresses this question specifically. In the BCO, a particular relationship with a local church is held forth as a requirement for partaking of the Supper. The wording goes like this:

Since by our Lord's appointment, this Sacrament sets forth the Communion of Saints, the minister, at the discretion of the Session, before the observance begins, may either invite [a] all those who profess the true religion, and are communicants in good standing in any evangelical church, to participate in the ordinance; or may invite those who have been approved by the Session, after having givenindication of their desire to participate. It is proper also to give a special invitation to non-communicants to remain during the service. (Quote from the Book of Church Order of the PCA, 58-4)

What this means is that all are welcome to partake of the Lord's Supper in a PCA church who are "communicants in good standing in any evangelical church," i.e., anyone who is a member of this or some other Bible-believing church is welcome to partake.

So, even if you are not a member of the particular church that is serving communion, or even a member of a PCA church, provided you are a member somewhere, you're welcome to the table.

Originally posted by Jeff_Bartel

:ditto:

Recommended reading: "The Duty to Join the Church and to Remain with Her" in volume 2 of Wilhelmus a Brakel's The Christian's Reasonable Service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back