Why is Th.Aquinas worth to read,what can we learn from him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mayflower

Puritan Board Junior
I already ask a question at forum of liberary concerning Thomas Aquinas - Summa..... I was very surprised to read that reformed believers are appreciation him so much, like John Gernster.

So can someone explain what Thomas Aquino will added for us as reformed believers ? And how can we still learn from him, even though his false teachings on the roman catholic doctrine like mary, purgatory, pope.

Iam asking this, because i have some of his works, and i like to read clear vieuws from the reformed side ?

I'd say that there is alot for us to learn from him. Some have suggested that his Summa Theologica set the precident for the priorities and order for future systematic theologies like Calvin's Institutes, his commentaries, Westminster Confession of faith, Hodge's Systematic theology. Thomas was heavily influenced by aristotle and since his work influenced the reformers and the reformed church in general in our order and priorities in our systematic theology so we should be very interested in his work and how it has influenced us. His arguments for the existence of God are very important and very famous as people still use those arguments today. Also, his view between the relationship of faith and reason was very important as it was very much different then Augustine's view. Granted, he had alot of problems theologically but his methods were very important in their influence of the church.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back