Why Must I Learn Greek???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Illumination depends on the working of the Spirit not the education and language skills of men!

Should pastors study the original languages? Absolutely.

Should every believer? Not necessarily.

Is a good English translation enough so that you can understand the Word of God? Yes it is.

The point being that those who are charged with teaching the Word need to be able to handle it rightly. And that takes intimate knowledge of the Book! Most pastors do not know the Bible well in English, let alone Greek or Hebrew. (see Matt's quiz for pastors on the Puritan's Mind website to see what I mean).

But we must never think that one has to have a deep understanding of the original languages in order to understand and apply the Word. If that were true, then we would all be preaching out of the Greek or Hebrew to congregations that all were fluent in both.

It is a matter of a pastor being an expert in his field - the Word of God. And his expertise should be more than able to lead teh congregation to an understanding of the the text whether or not they know Greek or Hebrew.

I will end where I started though. We must never elevate the wisdom or education or skill of men above the power and working of the Holy Spirit. He will lead us into all truth.

Phillip

This isn't Greek... but it is Hebrew and that is a biblical language too...

I found it helpful today at work. A lady's nephew was named Malachi and she wanted me to tell her how it is spelled and pronounced in Hebrew.
Needless to say, you'll never know when all that study will come in handy! :lol:

[quote:2bd19fb400]
But we must never think that one has to have a deep understanding of the original languages in order to understand and apply the Word. If that were true, then we would all be preaching out of the Greek or Hebrew to congregations that all were fluent in both.
[/quote:2bd19fb400]

Some of us disagree. English is the worst language in the history of man.

There are several passages where different Hebrew and Greek words are translated by the same english word.

Languages are ordained by God. And a heavy and terrible price has been paid (imprisonment, torture, and death) just so that we are able to have the Bible in English.

Good English translations have not done violence to the text to the point that we cannot consider it to be God's Word. Notice, I said [i:b4a1dbf266]good[/i:b4a1dbf266] translations.

However difficult the language, in God's providence He has given us the Bible in our language so that the common man can read it, understand it, apply it, obey it, and be converted by it without the way to understanding being barred by a language that only a priestly class speaks, reads, preaches, and thus controls.

Phillip

Aren't languages a result of the rebellion of man at the tower of Babel? God did ordain languages, but as a result of sin we have to go through the toil of learning those languages.:sad:

Yes it is true that the variety of languages is a direct judgment for sin. We can thank ol' Nimrod for that one!!

:sniff:

English IS sufficient for accurately telling the gospel, but I bet you still have a few grammars and lexicons on your shelf Phillip.

God also ordained vast resources for studying the original manuscripts. . .

:cool2:

dkicklig wrote:

"...as a result of sin we have to go through the toil of learning those languages."

That's where speaking in tongues comes in so handy.
:biggrin: :lol:

[quote:00fc743b38][i:00fc743b38]Originally posted by Visigoth[/i:00fc743b38]
[quote:00fc743b38]
[/quote:00fc743b38]

Some of us disagree. English is the worst language in the history of man.

There are several passages where different Hebrew and Greek words are translated by the same english word. [/quote:00fc743b38]

Tongue in cheek I hope Mark.

I will take Shakespeare of Donne anyday over clacking languages or something that is completely tonal like Vietnamese.

Actually, English is far more flexible than Hebrew (which has pretty severe limtations), Greek or especially Latin (all of which I like very much).

It really just depends on what you are using the language for. the 64 words for "kill" and "harvest" that Hebrew and Latin have aren't exactly very useful today. But Hebrew and Greek were perfetly suited for the text of the Bible; otherwise God would not have used them.

[quote:687378880e][i:687378880e]Originally posted by Visigoth[/i:687378880e]
Fred:

The only hint of God's grace in the english language is Milton.

;) [/quote:687378880e]

Milton Burle?? :puzzled::puzzled::eek::p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back