Why Pastors Need a Seminary Education

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandonadams

Puritan Board Sophomore
I just read an article from R. Scott Clark called "Why Pastors Need a Seminary Education" where he argues against distance learning options. I find his tone to be rather frustrating, but I would love to hear some thoughts from people who have spent some time considering this.

Why Pastors Need a Seminary Education

They're Pastors already

It seems that he is addressing those that are already Pastors and not those who are considering the pastoral field. I agree and disagree with him.

I think pastors should 'go off to seminary.' This allows them to focus on the work at hand. Being a Pastor is busy and is not just a 9-5 job. Seminary would provide the proper environment for learning and fellowship for the further study of God's word.

I disagree with him where those not already pastor's are concerned. I believe part of the role of the local church is to prepare ministers. Internet seminary would be very useful for this. Men who wish to receive ministerial training could do so through the auspices of their local church. The local church could set up class schedules and help provide the seminary materials. The individuals do the work and it is turned in collectively by the church to the seminary. This allows for men who due to other obligations do not have the freedom to go off to seminary, to stay at home and under their local church receive quality training. Of course I may disagree with him simply because I am setting up a program like this at my church. :think:

Just my :2cents:

I disagree with Dr. Clark's ideas regarding online schools.
There is no biblical warrant to pull someone away from his family and local church in order to study for the ministry.

I believe that seminaries have taken over a function that rightly belongs to the Church, training its members to minister in Christ's name. In my estimation the Church is the God-ordained tool that God uses for education, not the seminary.

Found this quote in the first article:

Frame goes on to remind the reader that seminaries are a convention of the church, created to fill in the gap created by churches that are not fulfilling their Biblical mandate of discipleship. He sites "œold" Princeton Seminary board member Rev. Gardiner Spring who contends that in his day the parish-trained minister far surpassed the seminary trained scholar. That is quite a statement from both Frame and Spring - two seminarians (p.11).

Concerning pastor's going off to seminary, if they haven't before they are pastors will they have the time while serving as pastors? Or would it be better for him to step down from the pastorate and continue serving in the church? This way he would have time and still be a part of the church. Or maybe some other compromise?

Also, can Dr Clark generalize his views to apply to the whole world or are his opinions merely "Western?" To "go off" to seminary in some places without online training is to totally kill all Gospel witness in some areas when the pastor leaves the country in some cases to add largely useless credentials to his wall - in order to come back and do the same things he was doing before (which, in many cases, he never comes back). For the 3rd world pastor, first world education often wrecks their effective ministries in poor corners of the world.

With all due respect to Professor Clark, I would like to see the argument made from Scripture.

I think a more Biblical argument would be to say that future pastors need godly pastors/elders to sit under and learn the faith which accords with godliness.

An historical problem with Prof. Clark's argument can be seen in the hundreds of Methodist churches in the South that began as 19th Century Presbyterian Church plants but quickly turned Methodist when supply could not be found.

Yes, his view would basically slow the spread of Christianity in parts of SE Asia and China where groups are popping up quicker than the supply of educated men to lead them.

A slower sustained growth with more depth would be the desired approach I guess, but God's movements cannot be counted on to last the 4-5 years of lapse when the most effective workers are removed from the field and placed in an ivory tower.

There are good ways for workers to continue ministry, even while feeding their educational needs. Distance learning is one of those as well as modular courses and TEE.

I incline toward RSC's position, although I allow for some room in my views for "distance" or "parish" training where these seem fit to the circumstances. But the question seems to be "what is the best way to do things?"

I am convinced that missionary work and church-planting is inseparable from pastor/elder training, and I think this pattern (along with the institution of "seminary") is biblical.

BTW, I see comments along the line that "Dr. Clark needs to offer a Scriptural argument," but no one has put forward their own "Scriptural" argument in favor of something else, and why it might be superior in one, or in many cases. Appealing to anecdote or pragmatism is insufficient.

As for the amount of time it takes to train pastors well, if the materials are weak, they much be improved, and if the foundation is built on weak materials, and the building falls over, what has been gained? Paul started his "Ephesian Seminary" in the context of a literate, Greek culture. And he trained a class of students for 2 solid years without a break. If it takes an illiterate culture 4-5 years, because their beginning students have to be raised first to be able to handle the material, so be it. Will not God provide?

Ideally every pastor would have 5 years of solid education and a masters or a doctorate even. But these ideals compete with many other factors.

The "best" way under ideal circumstances often gets in the way of the best feasible option, all other things considered, when engaged in many other things.

Just a thought, what about the Apostle Paul's model where he went to the churches to train them, not the other way around?

I disagree with Dr. Clark's ideas regarding online schools.
There is no biblical warrant to pull someone away from his family and local church in order to study for the ministry.

I believe that seminaries have taken over a function that rightly belongs to the Church, training its members to minister in Christ's name. In my estimation the Church is the God-ordained tool that God uses for education, not the seminary.

I will not argue against seminary, nor will I argue against alternative pastoral preparation. I believe there is room for both. I am very wary of elitism within the church. It exists and is to be opposed at every opportunity. Seminaries are not a function of the local church, even if a particular seminary is supported by a church or churches. That said, not every local church is capable of training qualified men. We have to be careful about throwing the baby out with the bathwater on either end of the discussion.

Just a thought, what about the Apostle Paul's model where he went to the churches to train them, not the other way around?

I'm curious to know where Paul did this?

I know he planted churches in many places, and most often he established them in places where he preached the gospel first in Synagogues, and out of them came the ready-made (already biblically knowledgable) eldership for the infant church.

I know he set himself up in Ephesus in the hall of Tyrannus, and for two solid years (besides regular worships, and church duties where he taught publicly and from house to house) he trained future ministers for the Asia territory--like Epaphras, who apparently later went to Colosse. We're told that "all Asia" heard the gospel message because Paul taught daily in one place for 2 years.

But I'm just wondering what texts specifically one would appeal to to demonstrate that Paul "went to churches" (didn't he like to go where no one else had laid a foundation?) to train men to be future ministers? Can you lay out the argument?

BTW, I see comments along the line that "Dr. Clark needs to offer a Scriptural argument," but no one has put forward their own "Scriptural" argument in favor of something else, and why it might be superior in one, or in many cases. Appealing to anecdote or pragmatism is insufficient.

I would suggest that since the Scriptures tell us that the Church is the pillar and ground of the truth (1 Tim 3:15) that would be a good place to learn the truth.

I would further suggest that since the Bible prescribes the office of Elder for teaching the Church, there is sufficient evidence that God's way is to have the Church through its Elders educate its people.

I will not argue against seminary, nor will I argue against alternative pastoral preparation. I believe there is room for both. I am very wary of elitism within the church. It exists and is to be opposed at every opportunity. Seminaries are not a function of the local church, even if a particular seminary is supported by a church or churches. That said, not every local church is capable of training qualified men. We have to be careful about throwing the baby out with the bathwater on either end of the discussion.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not against seminaries per say. I simply think that they need to work alongside the local church since I believe that's scriptural.

Just look at my signature and you will see that i'm actually involved with a seminary (it's an online one). But we have constant contact with the student's local church while he goes through the program because we believe it's their role to have spiritual oversight of their members.

Bruce,

My comment was a general statement without any in-depth study behind it. It just seems to me that the second generation of church leaders did not all go to specified places to learn from Paul, rather, he went to them. Your explanation of his methods in Ephesus appears to be a good counter to that idea. Thanks.

I don't this this is a fair assessment:

1. Paul took some of his students with him on tour, such as Timothy, Luke, John-Mark, etc.

2. Jesus ripped 12 men from their local lives for a three-year seminary education; was He disrupting the church?

3. Samuel established a "school of the prophets" also called a "college" in Isaiah; if prophets needed to be trained, how much more pastors?

Ignorant ministers lead to ignorant congregations. Ignorant congregations lead to a powerless church: my people are destroyed for lack of knowledge, and so forth.

Cheers,

Adam

Brandon,
I don't mind the comment. I just want us to conduct the discussion with appeals to the biblical data. There is a tendency today to blame seminaries for modern church troubles, and a facile assumption that the NT church is both radically different from us, and even opposed to many of our methods. E.g. some say we should "go back" to the house-church, as if it were the way the church is supposed to meet in every age. The way I read the NT, frequently there were meeting places patterned after the synagogue, not just home gatherings. And the homes would have to be the commodious dwellings of a few fairly wealthy, and not the average tenement. I mention this because the "new wisdom" challenging the "received wisdom" isn't always as full of brilliant new insight as is claimed for it.

I do agree that there is progression in means and methodology even in the early church. I think different situations call for sober assessment. The Mediterranean milieu of the 1st century was a part of the "fullness of time" and the scattered Jewish people served as the ideal "starter dough" for the new lump to get rising all over the place in a short period of time. The basic biblical literacy was there already, it only needed apostolic improvement. Apollos is just one example that we know of.

What Paul's time spent in Ephesus shows us is how the mature missionary Paul used even what he had probably learned in his first two missionary journeys when he instituted a "program" for minister training and church planting. The Apostles weren't going to live forever, and a new "ordinary" ministry was going to have to take its place. Ultimately, Timothy was given the oversight of the Ephesus work in all its pastoral and educational facets. I would have felt overwhelmed too, given all the responsibility of being "Sr. pastor" in that situation.

The OPC is engaged in various forms of missionary endeavor around the world. In Uganda, a significant part of the labor is focused on pastor-training. This is due to our belief that our work has a goal, and that goal involves leaving a mission field--when the job is done. "Finished" means a church that is self-sustaining and self-propagating and committed to the Reformed Faith.

The important thing, I think, is to stay principially driven. Missions isn't always going to look exactly the same from place to place. No doubt there will be places and occasions where "distance" and "mentorship" training are practically the only options. I'm OK with making those judgments.

But we shouldn't scoff at seminaries, as though they are just a "cultural" thing, a dispensable thing, maybe even a detriment to the church, or to church-planting. The feasibility of creating a pastor-training institute early on in a missionary endeavor should be considered at least as much as any other aspects of the mission. Certainly, if Apostle Paul is any guide.

This isn't a matter of some of us wanting dumb preachers. We all want pastors to be trained. But some of us would say more than one way is permissible and think that to demand seminaries is, in fact, elitist.

In many parts of the world a man has to leave his province and maybe his country and leave struggling sheep in order to get credentials on the wall in order to come back and do what he was doing before.

Distance learning, TEE and modular courses (intensive 2 weeks courses 3 times per year, plus independent study) are ways to keep workers in the frontlines, which is where we want them, right?

I have seen and heard of many local evangelists who have left a struggling flock in rural areas in order to go to the bible school or seminary in the city and then never returning because, after all, "there are needs everywhere."
For Americans maybe every pastor could go to a seminary, but in some places alternate methods of training can work better.

2. Jesus ripped 12 men from their local lives for a three-year seminary education; was He disrupting the church?
Seminaries and churches are not producing apostles.

3. Samuel established a "school of the prophets" also called a "college" in Isaiah; if prophets needed to be trained, how much more pastors?
Seminaries and churches don't produce prophets.

Since apostles and prophets are the foundation of the Church, and we are discussing ministers who are not the foundation, i just don't think it's a fair comparison.

[KJV]2 Timothy 2:2[/KJV] is a didactic expression of a minister's duty towards the church in future generations, is it not? I should think, unless I am overlooking something, that this would be the basic text from which discussion of acceptable permutations would start.

"Train the trainer" :)

I think that either/or is not the answer - more a matter of both/and - particularly in the day and age we live in. Scripture does not demand seminary - it does demand seeking out sound teaching. And developing that capability should begin at home. That is - the church home and within the home.

I read somewhere once that the wine we now have, is much better tasting and much better quality than it has ever been. Perhaps it's the grapes, perhaps it is the process. The grapes of today are processed quicker than in older methods, so the wine can be produced with greater speed and come out tasting better, too. We can now drink a wine that has aged about a year and have a better quality wine than one aged 10 or 12 years under older methods. Of course, there is no way of empirically proving this since none of us knows what a wine tasted like 400 years ago that had been aged only 10 or 12 years.

I bring this up to say that the way pastors are trained today is much different than 400 years ago, or even the way they were trained 2000 years ago. The travesty in my thinking is that we must rush young men through in 3 to 5 years only to throw them into waters in which they may quickly drown.

I've argued against Dr. Clark on this issue. I think this is a man-made institution that has long since needed an overhaul and a paradigm shift. I am greatly in favor of an educated eldership. In fact, I really believe Paul thought so, too. But it is high time that not only the teaching elders and pastors be able to be highly educated, but all elders be highly educated. Now, the only way I can see that happening is through local training. Do we really believe Paul told Timothy that only teaching elders and those who preach should receive special and intensive training? That's ridiculous. And I know that seminaries today have programs specifically for "ruling" elders. But I believe that the basic problem is that of selling the wine before its time, to use Paul Masson's mantra.

While a young man may be able to run circles around this soon to be 40 year old, he does not have the benefit of spiritual training that has happened over my years. I'm not saying that I know more spiritually than a 24 year old. But, as Prof. Shaw likes to put it, there are rules and exceptions to those rules. Those young men that can endure intensive seminary training and come out the other side ready to care for God's flock are the exception to the rule in my opinion. Most are not ready to be able to have the experience to lead well.

Therefore, I'm in favor of brick and mortar seminaries, but only if they lengthen training to about 10 years, and they make a rule (of which there may be exceptions) that a man be 30 years old before he begins. I think that would help greatly enhance the education and experience of teaching elders and pastors before they begin their ministry.

That would mean that I am also in favor, again with the same type of rules, of a distance education program for this same subset to include also the ruling elders. Brothers, what is the harm in taking a very long time to make this wine? What is the harm in returning to older ways of making sure that a man is mature enough to be an elder in the church? Why would it be wrong to make a general rule that a man should be about 35 to 40 years old before he is an elder, teaching or ruling? Why do we think that it is so very important to ensure that a man learn early and intensive so that he can have, Lord willing, 40 to 50 years in the ministry?

I personally think we are asking too much of young men, too much of professors, and too much of seminaries to do this work for the church. And I think it is high time for the church to retain this work primarily asking the seminaries for help where needed. That will mean that education is DEVELOPED at the church level. Churches need to tell seminaries how a minister should be trained, not the other way around. And this is where Dr. Clark has got it wrong. He's of the mind that Dr's know best (his analogy of medicine and lawyering) and that the church must rely on their expertise. I believe that is just what got the Pharisees in trouble. The church needs to take back the reins of eduction and tell the seminaries how to train men.

I've gone on too long, sorry. Pastors need a seminary type education, but that education can and frankly, should, come from other places besides seminaries.

In Christ,

KC

Great thread and the info on distance education is much appreciated. There might be a difference from the way Presbyterian churches view this subject that might be different from Baptist chuches. I am not 100% certain about that. I have recently been accepted to RTS Virtual, but my study there is not for the purpose of entering the office of an elder. My purpose is to grow in my knowledge for the sake of my family and benefit of my church as God wills.

For this reason I enrolled in the certificate program in theological studies. However, should the Lord lay it upon me to serve in a greater capacity, would it not be proper to see what one's respective demonation requires? If I were seeking ordination as pastor in a Presbyterian church, and that demonation was a "bricks and mortar" advocate, then I would expect the Lord to send me to a bricks and mortar seminary.

I see the work at seminary, at least at this point, as an equipping for the service of God's people. Therefore, in whatever way seems best and pleasing to God to serve them, that's what I would do.

What I find lacking in most seminaries is practical hands on practice.

People go through 4 years of Bible school, 4 years of seminary and then feel called as a missionary and come out and have no idea what to do or how to work with others. I actually prefer working with folks that did another degree besides bible as their bachelors before seminary or had some sort of real-life job before entering the ministry, these people tend to be more hardy and more able to be flexible and deal with adversity.

This shows that something is wrong. The NT model seems a lot more practice-oriented and informal. Jesus gave his fair share of sermons, but I do see a lot of hands on practice, visual aids used in lessons and even "homework" and increasingly complex tasks given. All this can best be done by not ripping Third World Pastors out of their local ministry contexts to attend a classroom, but in finding ways to educate them while they continue their present ministries.

I appreciate Bruce's comments. They bring a certain clarity. But, at the same time I find myself in line with Pergy's and Kevin's comments.
But we shouldn't scoff at seminaries, as though they are just a "cultural" thing, a dispensable thing, maybe even a detriment to the church, or to church-planting. The feasibility of creating a pastor-training institute early on in a missionary endeavor should be considered at least as much as any other aspects of the mission. Certainly, if Apostle Paul is any guide.
I agree that the training of indigenous pastors should be an early missionary goal. But we must be careful even in this. Are the men training these pastors qualified? Have they actually served as pastors? Are they simply passing on their "education" or academic expertise? Much of the time the men doing the training simply train up erudite experts without providing true shepherds for God's flock.
Part of the problem is the seminaries became "the experts" somewhere along the line. Not that this is the issue across the board, but many churches bow before the seminary altar, as through the scholars and academia know the truth and other such popery. But it is also evident that the vast majority of false teaching arises within institutes of higher education. Much of the problem lies in the fact that a huge percentage of professors, with doctorates, either have never pastored a church, or haven't done much of it. This leads to an elitist mentality and an authoritative attitude that insists on credentials rather than resting in the verity of Scripture. This is not a sweeping comment, but it is a generalization, and is proven by the fact that very few seminaries remain true to Scripture for a long period of time. It's not a matter of "if" a seminary will slip off into some sort of apostasy, but "when."
As Ruben pointed out, the mandate is found in 2 Timothy 2:2. The church is indispensable. Seminaries are not. Seminaries should be a tool in the hands of the church, not the other way around. But most churches fail to even send men to seminary, not to mention training up men within their ranks. Simply put, the seminary should be a finishing school, of sorts. It should be the icing on the cake, not the whole meal. But most churches simply tell an aspiring young man, "You should go to seminary."
Ideally, the man would be trained by his leadership and brought up in the ministry. From here, the church would send him to seminary and walk him through it. He should return between semesters and serve in his home church. His elders should be watching over and evaluating his progress. Summers should be spent serving his home church. Papers should be sent to his home church to help them see what he's learning and watch for dangers.
Perhaps Kevin's post said it better. His comments keep the focus where in needs to be, the local church.
His comments, along with Pergy's above, lead to one thing that's missing in this thread (or I missed it). While knowledge is indispensable for pastors, the qualifications given in 1 Tim 3 and Tit 1 are not based on knowledge or ability, other than "not a novice" and "apt to teach." Neither of these require an excellent orator. Neither requires a doctorate. They require biblical knowledge, wisdom and maturity. But the rest of the qualifications are character based. The overwhelming necessity of elders, (preaching, lay, ruling or whatever) is their character. Preaching deficiencies can be overcome with godliness. But no amount of excellent preaching can overcome a failure to meet these qualifications.
And, to spin of Kevin's comments, we have to remember that Timothy was pushing 40 when Paul admonished him to not "let them despise your youth." As was noted, the exception is exceptional.

It may be helpful in this discussion to evaluate the role of seminaries in one culture. I'm sure it's legitimate to discuss other things, but it's hard to follow this thread while some people are speaking to an American context and others are bringing up third-world countries and so forth. Maybe a separate thread on the wisdom of seminaries in missions contexts?

What I find lacking in most seminaries is practical hands on practice.

People go through 4 years of Bible school, 4 years of seminary and then feel called as a missionary and come out and have no idea what to do or how to work with others. I actually prefer working with folks that did another degree besides bible as their bachelors before seminary or had some sort of real-life job before entering the ministry, these people tend to be more hardy and more able to be flexible and deal with adversity.

Sir, I wish I knew more about you. I do not know if you have attended seminary, are in the ministry, are Baptist or Presbyterian. So far, I can only gather that either you yourself or some people you know have been disappointed by seminary education or a seminary-educated pastor.

I believe that ministerial training is more than seminary training. If there is a perceived lack in training, especially on the practical side, we must ask whether the local church did not fulfill its end of responsibility.

However, my experience is that both Bible colleges and seminaries provide ample opportunities for practical learning experience. What I am about to say, I do not say to exalt myself but to defend the institutions I love, as well as give weight to my words.

I am 21 years old. My churches, Bible college, and seminaries have given me wonderful opportunities (and great responsibility) to advance in my ministerial training. Not only have I had theology classes that have covered every genre and systematic category of the Bible, I am also fluent in Greek and rapidly becoming so in Hebrew. I developed and implemented an expository Bible study in my high school. I have had the opportunity to participate in short-term missions in New York, Chicago, Ireland, Nassau Bahamas, St. Lucia, and Nova Scotia. I was able to work an entire summer as a children's evangelist. I have counseled at church camps. I have been an assistant to a pastor (not assistant pastor), where I taught adult Sunday School, formed an evangelism class and community outreach program, and directed a teen and children's Saturday evangelistic outreach. I have preached in churches, youth groups, women's shelters, rescue missions, on streets, in buses, and in jungles - totalling over 200 times. I have personally been a tool in bringing several people to Christ and discipling them.

I understand if you feel that my "hands on experience" is lacking, but I still have several more years before my formal training is complete.

From a layman's perspective, I must disagree in general with Dr. Clark. Since he brought up medical training as an analogy, let me take comparison a step further. In medical school, there are two distinct phases of training: didactic, or "basic sciences" training for 2 years, and then clinical or "hands on" training for the final two years. It seems that training for pastors and elders has a similar (though not as formal) pattern, where pastors/elders go to seminary for the basic didactic/knowledge aspect, and then learn on the job how to actually be a good minister (ideally under the guidance of more experiences pastors and elders).

In med school, only about 20 people of 150 attended class (yes, I was one of the attenders). Lectures were available on online in audio format, transcriptions of the lectures were available, and all audiovisuals were online. So the only thing gained by attending class was actually seeing the professor, which of course is unnecessary. People who didn't attend class did just as well on tests and boards as those of us who did. I don't see why seminary should be any different. Make all the materials and lectures available online, and as long as any required work is accomplished (papers, tests, etc), it shouldn't be any different than being physically present at the school.

After accomplishing the didactic work online, the aspiring minister can then be guided and counseled by qualified elders in the local community as he learns how to be a leader in the church (as many have alluded to in previous posts).

So I would contend an aspiring pastor can be fully qualified with a great seminary education without physically setting foot in a classroom. :2cents:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back