Why the Puritans were "pure"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herald

Administrator
Staff member
The Puritans weren't "pure" because of how they lived, but because of who lived in them ~ Colossians 1:27

Bill, yes, the Puritans would agree with that concept, as is clear from the Confession's teaching on sanctification, but so would the more evangelical opponents of the Puritans. A "Puritan" proper is one who sought the further reformation of the Church of England after the Elizabethan Settlement. So their purity was more concerned with the church than the individual.

Bill, yes, the Puritans would agree with that concept, as is clear from the Confession's teaching on sanctification, but so would the more evangelical opponents of the Puritans. A "Puritan" proper is one who sought the further reformation of the Church of England after the Elizabethan Settlement. So their purity was more concerned with the church than the individual.

As opposed to the Separatists who felt that separating from the existing church of England and forming a new, distinct congregation was the only way to go.

Matthew, I concur. I was endeavoring to make a sound byte. One of the great refrains of the Puritans was their understanding of their utter depravity, and their subsequent sufficiency in Christ alone. Even though the Reformed faith has migrated well beyond the 16th century CoE, the truths that the Puritans clung to are held dear by many Reformed and Reformed-friendly believers today. In the sense the Puritans are very much alive and well.

The Puritans weren't "pure" because of how they lived, but because of who lived in them ~ Colossians 1:27

:gpl:

The Puritans were judiciously purified through the cross work of Jesus Christ and His Spirit who lived in them.

But, as "pure" and lofty were their belief and their goals, they remained sinners who often failed to lead perfectly pure lives . . . and I believe they would be the first to remind of all us of that fact.

"Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen." I John 5:21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back