Wilhelmus a Brakel and Ethnic Israel

Status
Not open for further replies.

discipulo

Puritan Board Junior
Those who own Christian’s Reasonable Service can please confirm or deny the claim of this site, that the part concerning the future of Ethnic Israel was not translated to English.

Exposition on Revelation, by Wilhelmus à Brakel Faith(based) Works

I came across this as I’ve been looking to know more of the Puritans' (both British and Continental) view of the future of Ethnic Israel.

What was really happening in those great minds when they read Romans 11?

To respond towards the validity of the site, not knowing the answer to the primary question, this blogger is certainly a legitimate dispensationalist and his slants seem extremely biased. I cannot take his proof texting of Brakel with much faith or give him the benefit of the doubt.

See my response to O.Palmer Robertson who in his otherwise good book called "The Israel of God" does not believe that Romans 11 teaches a future national conversion of the Jews.

http://www.puritanboard.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=691898

Many of the Reformed have held and still hold to a future national conversion of the Jews. This belief was around long before dispensationalism. The Reformed belief is minus Dispensational whackiness.

See "The Puritan Hope" (BoT) by Iain Murray.

Robertson applies Romans 11 to ethnic Israel but believes that it is only teaching that there will be a small number of Jewish believers in each generation. People like Charles Hodge and John Murray believed this, but also that Romans 11 was teaching a national conversion.

It sometimes (often?) divides along amil/postmil lines; the amils being less likely to believe in a future national conversion of the Jews.

Kim Riddlebarger, in his book, A Case for Amillennialism discusses a couple historic reformed understandings of Romans 11 and references Mr. Robertson in some detail.

He contrasts them very well with the interpretations of modern dispensational premillennialism, historic premillennialism per Mr. Ladd, and postmillennialism.

Very helpful in at least understanding these views.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back