Will the Detroit Lions Go 0-16?

Will the Detroit Lions Go 0-16?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The only two games I could conceivably see them losing is either to the Saints or to the Vikings since both of those games are at home. But I don't really see them winning those. They should just lose out so they can get Chris 'Beanie' Wells of Ohio State.

It's so rare that I voted they will win a game. Even the Bungles won one and tied one.
Tampa Bay is not so impressive. Tennessee is an upset waiting to happen - if the Lions have any pride they will play another close game. Minnesota should be better but aren't dominating either. New Orleans is inconsistent.
Culpeper is a talented QB but hasn't played in a year.

On the other hand, they could certainly lose all those games.

I have always hated the Lions. When I lived in MI as a kid I thought "what a waste of jersey-material" They never add up to anything any season. May they do SOMETHING this year. One win: New Orleans

All the pieces are in place for the Lions to make history.

The ironic thing is that Matt Millen will not be around to enjoy it. Much of the credit for this achievement lies at his feet. These are his players and his coaches.

I hope that Detroit will not forget him amid all of the 'ticker tape' in honor of their record breaking season.

In my mind, this will establish the Lions as the worst team in American professional sports history, just nudging out the 2003 Tigers.

Way to go Detroit!

They traded their best player to Dallas and are bound to blow the picks on a wideout, they'll probably go after Texas Tech's Michael Crabtree just because they love to draft wideouts and the one that actually panned out is now in Dallas.

All the pieces are in place for the Lions to make history.

The ironic thing is that Matt Millen will not be around to enjoy it. Much of the credit for this achievement lies at his feet. These are his players and his coaches.

I hope that Detroit will not forget him amid all of the 'ticker tape' in honor of their record breaking season.

In my mind, this will establish the Lions as the worst team in American professional sports history, just nudging out the 2003 Tigers.

Way to go Detroit!

You're killing me Ken, but it's so true. I'm mad at michigan sports in general! I was at UofM during the Bo days, was at the parade when the TIgers won the World Series and then there's the Lions. Now U of M stinks worse than memory serves.

It must be the economy!

Here's a little something to annoy everyone...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5nTCXxIivA]YouTube - Detroit Titletown[/ame]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Margaret

Recently I heard that, behind the scenes, it was Millen who drove Sanders to an early retirement. Is this just an urban legend?

Recently I heard that, behind the scenes, it was Millen who drove Sanders to an early retirement. Is this just an urban legend?

Urban legend. Sanders retired in 1999; the tragedy of the Millen hiring happened in 2001.

I asked my much better half (a veritable walking sports encyclopedia who also keeps his ear to the ground as to local sports rumors) and he said that he'd heard that Millen was actually trying to get Sanders back.

Maybe that's the real reason they kept Millen around for so long. :p

:cool:

Margaret

Pastor Klein, here's "good news" for you!

There's an effort afoot here to move the Lions to Los Angeles:

Los Angeles take the Lions

It's a grassroots one, to be sure, but a worthy one, indeed!

(If it happened, some of us here would feel free finally to reveal our true NFL allegiances, whether to the Browns or the Bills or the Bears... :) Anyone but the Lions! To the west coast with them!)

:judge:

Margaret

P. S. The Lions' thoroughly insane "fight song" goes with them... :cool:

-----Added 12/22/2008 at 04:34:08 EST-----

[video=youtube;x7Ag4_1Ce6k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7Ag4_1Ce6k[/video]

At last, a place for the Lions in NFL history! I can't wait to hear how they did against Green Bay, oh, next Monday morning! ;)

Even the London Times is geared up for 0-16: Detroit Lions claw their way to NFL record - Times Online

A side commentary on MI Gov. "Jen" Granholm, since she's been referenced:

[video=youtube;y6Ty6qe7bkA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Ty6qe7bkA[/video]

Too bad she's being term-limited out. She's been a hoot! :duh:

Margaret

-----Added 12/22/2008 at 04:37:26 EST-----

Wow, what happened here? It was Nov. 18 that I posted that hopeful nugget about the Lions moving to L.A.

I think now that they're going to make the record books, we'd like to keep our soon-to-be 0-16 team right here in Detroit! :D

Margaret

I usually only have one thing, and one thing only to say about any and all NFL topics.....

GO STEELERS!!! :)

As a life-long observer of the New Orleans Saints, I would have not been surprised if they would have lost to the Lions since the Saints were the first team that Tampa Bay ever beat as well as providing the Carolina Panthers and the current Cleveland Browns with their first victory.

I'm convinced that unless Green Bay just goes out and plays horribly at home that the Lions will be 0-16. You know they don't to be the team to give up that one win, especially with all the talk about how they would have been better this year with Farve. (Farve's recent play renders that thinking questionable in my opinion.) Detroit hasn't won at Green Bay since 1991, which was also the only season since the 50's in which they won a playoff game.

No chance of the Lions moving to LA. If any team moves to LA in the near future, the best possibility may well be the Rams moving back. There was some concern over the Saints moving several years ago, but with the improvements to the Superdome post Katrina, they seem set to remain there for the forseeable future.

-----Added 12/22/2008 at 05:23:32 EST-----

Joey Harrington is the third string QB for the Saints. I read in a news story that the Detroit fans were calling for him during yesterday's game.

Joey Harrington is the third string QB for the Saints. I read in a news story that the Detroit fans were calling for him during yesterday's game.

If true, that is a crack-up!

Maybe they could talk Erik Kramer out of retirement!

And I thought the old New Orleans Aints were bad.

Yeah. They are saying Detroit is the first team to start 0-15. I thought the Saints did that in 1980 (the year of the Aints with the bags over the head, etc.) but apparently it was only 0-14.

Local commercials here tout how the Saints "aren't your father's Saints." But unless they can turn it around, it's starting to look like a repeat of the Haslett era to many here. Have a good first year with a playoff win, then parlay that into a big contract, then average 8-8 after that.

-----Added 12/22/2008 at 05:35:24 EST-----

If true, that is a crack-up!

Maybe they could talk Erik Kramer out of retirement!

I did always think Kramer was underrated. Maybe they should bring back Wayne Fontes too! See here for the story I was referring to.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]It got so ugly fans mockingly chanted "Jo-ey! Jo-ey!" in the half-empty stadium in reference to New Orleans' third-string quarterback Joey Harrington, who was the first of many first-round busts Detroit drafted during an eight-season stretch (31-95) that is the NFL's worst since 1950. [/FONT]

The problem with the Lions isn't the players or the coaches. The problem is the owner.

The problem with the Lions isn't the players or the coaches. The problem is the owner.

That's the problem with a lot of chronically bad franchises like the Bengals, Ariz. Cardinals, the Hugh Culverhouse era Bucs, LA Clippers, etc.

It can't be denied...

...the Detroit Lions surpassed all predictions of their capacity for losing this year. They proved that no one in the NFL can even touch them for sheer consistency. I am so pleased with this team that they had a plan (or they appear to have had a plan) and they executed it beautifully. :cool: :wow: :p

No one could have expected more of this team than we got.

As Rod Marinelli leaves this dark, miserable black hole of a city, I wish him well and I hope he's never in the position to be in another press conference like this one:

[video=youtube;hjfcADpcXJQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjfcADpcXJQ[/video]

Now. I would like this team to move to Japan or the Philippines or somewhere far enough away so that I will never again be tempted to buy exhibition game tickets. :eek: Not that I really wish something so malodorous on Japan or the Philippines, but the Detroit Lions are just one more pox that we need to rid southeastern Michigan of. This area needs a break.

:lol:

Margaret

LOL Rob Parker was hilarious. That last question was horrible! :eek:

It was gratuitous. It was no-class...

I know a lot of people who simply don't understand why that last question upset Marinelli - and that upsets me, that so many of my "nearest and dearest" (!) are that clueless.

Whatever. Life goes on.

Margaret

Ouch. Not a particularly good year for Michigan football all the way around. Not just the Lions, but the Wolverines, then Western and Central Michigan lose their bowl games.

Of course, MSU will probably now break with tradition and upset my Dawgs tomorrow in the Capital One Bowl. :doh:

Of course, MSU will probably now break with tradition and upset my Dawgs tomorrow in the Capital One Bowl. :doh:

I hope not.

I hope Michigan teams get themselves a clean sweep this year.

Who in their right mind would sign a contract to be the Lions' next head coach :confused: :confused: :confused: Along that line: maybe someone could entice Gary Moeller out of retirement... :um: :rolleyes: Knowing the Lions' penchant for dragging retreads out for one last "perp walk," regarding the now-67-year-old Moeller: hmmm... Depends on what kind of shape he's in at present, I suppose.

Margaret

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back